By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My final thread on the PS3s situation. Squilliam signing out.

Slimebeast said:
Squilliam,

basically I agree with u.

I believe in a $100 PS3 price drop in March 2009 and a year with 12 million consoles sold. And by next summer when PS3 is slaughtering the X360 in weekly sales ppl will say how genious Sony were with their pricing strategy (assumin MS only drops by a measly $50 again).

They don't need to drop $100 straight away. Its likely that a large number of people, maybe even a majority of potential PS3 customers still see the PS3 as the superior good and the Xbox 360 an inferior good. So therefore a ratio of even $250 vs $350 between the premium and 80gb PS3 is likely to come out more in Sonys favour than you would otherwise expect.

My earlier prediction I made on Steam to Makingmusic was this, before the sudden bad news anyway:

They cut the price $50 to $350 early in 2009 in the United States because thats where they need to take action the most. They offset the pricecut with revenue from games like Killzone 2 coming early next year and stem the most important area of bleeding. Then in late 2009 they cut the price again to $300? (maybe) and the price in Europe to $350 Euros. Its a reverse of what happened with the Xbox 360 in 2008 essentially. I don't know if they can do just that next year but I believe they can afford to wait until late 2009 before making any moves. If they don't make any moves in 2009 on price then 2010 is lost for them.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam,

I believe in a $100 PS3 price drop in March 2009 and a year with 12 million consoles sold. And by next summer when PS3 is slaughtering the X360 in weekly sales ppl will say how genious Sony were with their pricing strategy (assumin MS only drops by a measly $50 again).

They don't need to drop $100 straight away. Its likely that a large number of people, maybe even a majority of potential PS3 customers still see the PS3 as the superior good and the Xbox 360 an inferior good. So therefore a ratio of even $250 vs $350 between the premium and 80gb PS3 is likely to come out more in Sonys favour than you would otherwise expect.

My earlier prediction I made on Steam to Makingmusic was this, before the sudden bad news anyway:

They cut the price $50 to $350 early in 2009 in the United States because thats where they need to take action the most. They offset the pricecut with revenue from games like Killzone 2 coming early next year and stem the most important area of bleeding. Then in late 2009 they cut the price again to $300? (maybe) and the price in Europe to $350 Euros. Its a reverse of what happened with the Xbox 360 in 2008 essentially. I don't know if they can do just that next year but I believe they can afford to wait until late 2009 before making any moves. If they don't make any moves in 2009 on price then 2010 is lost for them. 

No. That would be crazzy* if Sony didn't drop aggressively in Europe as well.

In Europe the PS3 is comparatively over-priced as we all know (has been since the start, and it's not got only to do with MS price drops but some other factor too... perhaps the strong Yen I dont know).

In Sweden the X360 Pro 60GB costs $300 while the 80GB PS3 costs $550! And I think the ratio is similar in western Europe where most countries have € (probably on average €240 for X360 60 GB and €430 for PS3 80GB).

And let me remind you that southern Europeans (such as Italy, Spain and Portugal) are even poorer than New Zeelanders lol.

* according to CrazzyMan a PS3+GT5 for 300 Euros = MUST HAVE

CrazzyMan said:
What went wrong:
MGS4 was moved to 2008.
LBP was moved to late 2008.
FFXIII went multiplatform, and because of that will be released only in 2009/2010.
KZ2 moved to early 2009.
GT5 is set to release only in late 2009-2010.
Lack of good advertising and a lot media hate.
M$ bought every game they could.
+ CRISIS.

What went good:
Yet, in same LIFETIME PS3 still is doing BETTER then x360. =)
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PSP&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=170
Blu-ray won the HD video format war.
People still buying MANY 400$/€ costing PS3.
PS3 still is not hacked.
PS3 still is getting 3rd party Japan support.
There is still place for a sales spike after PRICECUT.
Still MANY GREAT AA exclusive are in developement for coming years.

Im far to lazy to post my own opinion, so i'll agree with this.

NiKKoM said:

Noooooo!!! NOt your final thread on the ps3 situation... it could go on for months!! ... no more popcorn....

Make MOAAARRR!!!

Took the thoughts right out of my head.

4 ≈ One

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
CrazzyMan said:
What went wrong:
MGS4 was moved to 2008.
FFXIII went multiplatform, and because of that will be released only in 2009/2010.
KZ2 moved to early 2009.
+ CRISIS.

What went good:
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PSP&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=170
PS3 still is not hacked.

Im far to lazy to post my own opinion, so i'll agree with this.

Rofl!! Nice.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:

No. That would be crazzy* if Sony didn't drop aggressively in Europe as well.

In Europe the PS3 is comparatively over-priced as we all know (has been since the start, and it's not got only to do with MS price drops but some other factor too... perhaps the strong Yen I dont know).

In Sweden the X360 Pro 60GB costs $300 while the 80GB PS3 costs $550! And I think the ratio is similar in western Europe where most countries have € (probably on average €240 for X360 60 GB and €430 for PS3 80GB).

And let me remind you that southern Europeans (such as Italy, Spain and Portugal) are even poorer than New Zeelanders lol.

* according to CrazzyMan a PS3+GT5 for 300 Euros = MUST HAVE

That was my old tentative prediction, I have no idea what will happen in early 2009 now. Theres so much that I don't know about Sonys goals its hard to predict what they will do, so I figure that its best to start with what they must do.

Tease.

the real key is when this gen wakes up and wii owners want more where will they go nex gen?????

Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam,

They don't need to drop $100 straight away. Its likely that a large number of people, maybe even a majority of potential PS3 customers still see the PS3 as the superior good and the Xbox 360 an inferior good. So therefore a ratio of even $250 vs $350 between the premium and 80gb PS3 is likely to come out more in Sonys favour than you would otherwise expect.

My god, someone on vgchartz actually understands the difference between investment and operating costs. Squilliam you have destroyed my world view. Microsoft's initial loses on the xbox360 are irrelevant (even if the management at MS weren't nearly immune to any theoretical shareholder revolt) and the same is true for the PS3. If in the end the PS3 turns out to have a rather poor ROI (which seems likely), the only thing this will affect is a willingness to make so many abrupt hardware changes simultaneously in the future. The only thing that could possibly be change this is the difficulty firms currently face is raising capital. However Japan has a much more convoluted and opaque means of capital allocation than the rest of the "first world", which although criticized as sclerotic by the west when times were better, seems to be holding up rather well at the moment. The economist actually had an interesting article on this last week.

The actual marginal cost per unit of using blue-ray over dvd is tied to the difference of the costs of producing diodes for for both. That you can now buy a blue-ray drive (set top boxes are incomparable as the blue-ray standard requires 256mb and significant cpu horsepower which dvd did not) off of newegg for $80 tells me that those differences have narrowed significantly. And these prices are going to appear more drastic than they are as the degree of "commoditization" as dvd drive manufacturing is going to be a much lower margin business at this point. So at this point blueray at least is going to mostly be a sunk cost.

Guessing the size of any potential pricecut however, is something of a futile exercise unless someone here has access to some price discovery studies Sony has no doubt done and will do. There was one recent study in which it was discovered that people were willing to spend more money at a place called Cafe17 than Cafe97. The only way to figure these things out is empirically.

Currency fluctuations and some of the more nuanced aspects of competitive game theory are also in play here. But predicting the first is harder than predicting the weather and the second is made extremely complicated by the fact that firms cannot easily raise prices.

CrazzyMan said:
What went wrong:
MGS4 was moved to 2008.
KZ2 moved to early 2009.
+ CRISIS.

What went good:
PS3 still is not hacked.

I love this little lie. PS3 fanboys continue to throw it out there. FFXIII was announced for the PS3 in 2005. Three years later the game wasn't anywhere close to being ready for release. It gets announced as a multiplatform at E3 2008. Now tell me, how FFXIII has been delayed becuase of the 360 when the 360 version won't even be worked on until after the PS3 version is completed. FFXIII is late, because the PS3 architecture is a pain in the ass to work on. Take off the fanboy goggles and realize that fact.

alephnull said:

My god, someone on vgchartz actually understands the difference between investment and operating costs. Squilliam you have destroyed my world view. Microsoft's initial loses on the xbox360 are irrelevant (even if the management at MS weren't nearly immune to any theoretical shareholder revolt) and the same is true for the PS3. If in the end the PS3 turns out to have a rather poor ROI (which seems likely), the only thing this will affect is a willingness to make so many abrupt hardware changes simultaneously in the future. The only thing that could possibly be change this is the difficulty firms currently face is raising capital. However Japan has a much more convoluted and opaque means of capital allocation than the rest of the "first world", which although criticized as sclerotic by the west when times were better, seems to be holding up rather well at the moment. The economist actually had an interesting article on this last week.

The actual marginal cost per unit of using blue-ray over dvd is tied to the difference of the costs of producing diodes for for both. That you can now buy a blue-ray drive (set top boxes are incomparable as the blue-ray standard requires 256mb and significant cpu horsepower which dvd did not) off of newegg for $80 tells me that those differences have narrowed significantly. And these prices are going to appear more drastic than they are as the degree of "commoditization" as dvd drive manufacturing is going to be a much lower margin business at this point. So at this point blueray at least is going to mostly be a sunk cost.

Guessing the size of any potential pricecut however, is something of a futile exercise unless someone here has access to some price discovery studies Sony has no doubt done and will do. There was one recent study in which it was discovered that people were willing to spend more money at a place called Cafe17 than Cafe97. The only way to figure these things out is empirically.

Currency fluctuations and some of the more nuanced aspects of competitive game theory are also in play here. But predicting the first is harder than predicting the weather and the second is made extremely complicated by the fact that firms cannot easily raise prices.

Thanks for the compliment.

Have you heard of the expression, you've got to spend money to make money? In this case, they have to sell enough PS3s to cover the overhead of their 1st party developers, PSN and other operating expenses. Long term its the operating expense which I believe will kill the PS3, not the cost of the hardware. At this point im not sure what the long term break even point is for the PS3 1st party developers, it would guess its at least 35 Million PS3s. Effectively its the third party royalties that are keeping their 1st party developers alive.

Its easier to predict the actions of the party behind than the party in the lead. The party in the lead can simply choose to do nothing whilst the one trailing behind doesn't have that luxury in this case. Microsoft has their Xbox Live service and Sony has their 1st party developers. Both necessitate increasing the size of the userbase and in both cases their value increases more than proportionally to the install base. Thats the obvious positive incentive to increase their install base, on the other side if they fail to increase their userbase fast enough their console will lose the all important battle on the ground for the hearts and minds of their potential customers.

The interesting part about amatuer cost analysis of the PS3, and even some professionals is that only the negative aspects of the current recessions are being noted. The actual raw materials and many of the finished components will be cheaper due to the reduced demand for computer products. Its not a completely one way street of all bad news for Sony. Also that Blu Ray drive you talked about is probably a much higher margin item between NewEgg and the supplier, so the actual cost of the drive(s) may be a lot closer between the Xbox 360 and PS3 than NewEgg indicates.

Any profit they do expect to make this year with SCE is probably better reinvested in SCE than in other departments. All this reminds me of the game Age Of Empires 2. Every PS3 sold is like a villager, it takes a while for that villager to pay himself back but the payoff in the end is increased production. One of the rules of that game if you want to play competitively is never slow their production down or you'll fall behind, unless you have good reason to. The question really is, will they have enough revenue and will they lower the costs enough to pull a price cut? A delta of $50 is manageable between cost and final sale price, but much more than that and the liability increases far too steadily.

Tease.