By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony to Lose $1.66 Billion U.S. - Six Time Greater Then Anticipated

nightsurge said:

Although Sony's business covers a wide range of electronics aside from the PlayStation 3, such as Bravia televisions, analysts dinged the company for high operating costs that hamper its ability to compete in numerous arenas, an issue frequently noted in analysis surrounding the PS3's high-end price.

So very true.  I mean, you go to walmart and most 42" HDTV's are around $900-1000.  Then you see the Sony Bravia at like $1300+.  You can get 50" HDTV's for the price of Sony's 42-46" range.  Seems like consumers will choose the Philips or Vizio or even Panasonic when it is $300-400 less.

What some people don't want to admit is that you're getting a lower quality set with Vizio or Phillips or Panasonic.  You get a 42" Sony over a 50" Vizio because you care about the quality of your set and the quality of the image.  If you care about size more than quality, you get the Vizio.

The problem is that Samsung, Sony and Toshiba all compete on the high end right now.  And Toshiba has the best LCD panels, followed by Samsung.

Sony needs to consider the Microsoft way of thinking and skip adding a bumper to keep discs from scratching because the bumper would add 50 cents to the cost of your console.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
whatever said:
Remember the days when the 360 was losing and we didn't have the constant 360 trolls like gebx, legend, and stickball posting so much?

Good times!

losing?  leading by less you mean???

If by leading by less, you mean selling less consoles, then yes, that's what I meant.

whatever said:
Remember the days when the 360 was losing and we didn't have the constant 360 trolls like gebx, legend, and stickball posting so much?

Good times!

You mean when trolls like Crazzyman and DTG were posting every 15 minutes about 2008, the year of the PS3?

TheBigFatJ said:
nightsurge said:

Although Sony's business covers a wide range of electronics aside from the PlayStation 3, such as Bravia televisions, analysts dinged the company for high operating costs that hamper its ability to compete in numerous arenas, an issue frequently noted in analysis surrounding the PS3's high-end price.

So very true.  I mean, you go to walmart and most 42" HDTV's are around $900-1000.  Then you see the Sony Bravia at like $1300+.  You can get 50" HDTV's for the price of Sony's 42-46" range.  Seems like consumers will choose the Philips or Vizio or even Panasonic when it is $300-400 less.

What some people don't want to admit is that you're getting a lower quality set with Vizio or Phillips or Panasonic.  You get a 42" Sony over a 50" Vizio because you care about the quality of your set and the quality of the image.  If you care about size more than quality, you get the Vizio.

The problem is that Samsung, Sony and Toshiba all compete on the high end right now.  And Toshiba has the best LCD panels, followed by Samsung.

Sony needs to consider the Microsoft way of thinking and skip adding a bumper to keep discs from scratching because the bumper would add 50 cents to the cost of your console.

Vizio sets are equally high in quality IMO.  I have used 2 so far, and see no difference between them and the Bravia.  My Vizio is a 120Hz, 1080p, 4-HDMI port TV.  It even comes with one HDMI cable for free.  Vizio has a great warranty and good customer service, as well.

Also, we know how much people have been choosing "perceived quality" over price these days.

I agree, Microsoft should have added bumpers, but I have a feeling the added cost to change all their existing units, and to update their manufacturing process would have added up to more than $.50 per console.  Even so, as long as you use the console in the horizontal position and don't do anything stupid to it while a game is playing, you will be fine, and MS saved 12.5 million dollars! But that's off topic.

EDIT:  From the Wal-Mart website, it appears even the Samsung and Toshiba TV's are priced quite a bit below Sony's.

Ouch....let's hope things bounce back.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

Vizio sets are equally high in quality IMO.  I have used 2 so far, and see no difference between them and the Bravia.  My Vizio is a 120Hz, 1080p, 4-HDMI port TV.  It even comes with one HDMI cable for free.  Vizio has a great warranty and good customer service, as well.

Also, we know how much people have been choosing "perceived quality" over price these days.

I don't mean to rag on your choice -- if you are happy with your set, than it was good purchase for you.  But if you go to the avsforums you'll find pretty detailed distinctions between the types of panels advantages and disadvantages.  The problem you'll run into is that you'll find yourself buying a $3500 LCD set from a TV botique store (because Best Buy doesn't care the very high end models).

What you'll also discover is that every TV set and panel type has disadvantages.  Some of them have many disadvantages, some have deal-breaker (for some owners) disadvantages.  You'll find that there is differences in quality between scaler chips, there are fundamental weaknesses with certain panel technologies, etc. 

Sony's biggest issue is that they don't make their own panels.  They use Sharp panels last I researched it.  And both Samsung and Toshiba make their own and often make better ones.

Ouch!
I just bought a sony tv.
Helped them out a tiny bit

Acevil said:
It is official now that I am finding these threads annoying. The sad thing about this is, this might be my future job.

I agree! Gebx is loving the Sony hate at the moment... And thats pretty sad really...

Jereel Hunter said:
whatever said:

Good times!

You mean when trolls like Crazzyman and DTG were posting every 15 minutes about 2008, the year of the PS3?

A Sony supporter supporting a Sony console? Your right, that is strange... hmmm

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

microsoft sucks