By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

animegaming said:
darkknightkryta said:
animegaming said:
darkknightkryta said:
MLight80 said:
I think the next great JRPG for home consoles will be when Monolith software releases their X game for the Wii U. I was more excited for that game than Final Fantasy 15.

I don't think they've released enough of X, but it looks like another Monster Hunter clone.  I'd rather have another game.

if its anything like Xenoblade then it is far from a Monster hunter clone

All I've seen is a guy driving a mech killing (hunting) giant dinosaurs.  Is there another video they released that shows otherwise?

There are two trailers and the first one hints at it being a sequel to Xenoblade such as having the same combat and a few other hints and Xenoblade was nothing like Monster Hunter

You're sidestepping the question.  Two trailers, both showing that you're hunting monsters on a field?  Was there a story trailer?  Cause by that reasoning Soul Sacrifice isn't a Monster Hunter clone.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
animegaming said:
darkknightkryta said:
animegaming said:
darkknightkryta said:
MLight80 said:
I think the next great JRPG for home consoles will be when Monolith software releases their X game for the Wii U. I was more excited for that game than Final Fantasy 15.

I don't think they've released enough of X, but it looks like another Monster Hunter clone.  I'd rather have another game.

if its anything like Xenoblade then it is far from a Monster hunter clone

All I've seen is a guy driving a mech killing (hunting) giant dinosaurs.  Is there another video they released that shows otherwise?

There are two trailers and the first one hints at it being a sequel to Xenoblade such as having the same combat and a few other hints and Xenoblade was nothing like Monster Hunter

You're sidestepping the question.  Two trailers, both showing that you're hunting monsters on a field?  Was there a story trailer?  Cause by that reasoning Soul Sacrifice isn't a Monster Hunter clone.

they so far haven't revealed anything about the story and i doubt it will be a monster hunter clone since monolith usually makes the story a top priorty to the point it overshadows the gameplay just look at the second disc of Xenosaga for proof

animegaming said:
darkknightkryta said:

they so far haven't revealed anything about the story and i doubt it will be a monster hunter clone since monolith usually makes the story a top priorty to the point it overshadows the gameplay just look at the second disc of Xenosaga for proof

That doesn't mean anything.  That's like saying "Capcom won't make Monster Hunter, we only have to look at Breath of Fire 1-4 for that".  I'm not saying it will be.  I just said they haven't shown enough.  Which they haven't.

It's not even a comparison. Monster Hunter is an action game. You press a button to atttack. Xenoblade has a somewhat automatic battle system. X looks like it is very similar. I've played both Monhun and Xeno. COMPLETELY different games

Ocilayton said:

It's not even a comparison. Monster Hunter is an action game. You press a button to atttack. Xenoblade has a somewhat automatic battle system. X looks like it is very similar. I've played both Monhun and Xeno. COMPLETELY different games

I don't think you understand what I mean by Monster Hunter clone.  I wasn't talking combat.  I was talking the general idea of the game being based around hunting monsters.  In a way Monster Hunter is a Pokemon clone, for instance.

Around the Network

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0SO80jj3oNSrAUAsRtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzZDI5ZGo0BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1NNRTMyMF8x/SIG=120m2ldh3/EXP=1384402787/**http%3a//www.youtube.com/watch%3fv=ZTicI3dcnys

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oithEgDE8H8

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

darkknightkryta said:
Ocilayton said:

I don't think you understand what I mean by Monster Hunter clone.  I wasn't talking combat.  I was talking the general idea of the game being based around hunting monsters.  In a way Monster Hunter is a Pokemon clone, for instance.

The first trailer showed off the battle system.

The second trailer showed off some environments and teased the story.

Neither one showed off any Monster Hunter-esque mechanics. Unless you think that all JRPGs in which players battle monsters are, in fact, Monster Hunter clones.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:

The first trailer showed off the battle system.

The second trailer showed off some environments and teased the story.

Neither one showed off any Monster Hunter-esque mechanics. Unless you think that all JRPGs in which players battle monsters are, in fact, Monster Hunter clones.

Close ;o.  More or less if the game has a hub(Normally one) and requires you to go out and kill monsters with not much else.

darkknightkryta said:

Close ;o.  More or less if the game has a hub(Normally one) and requires you to go out and kill monsters with not much else.

Well Xenoblade involves battling giant monster but it's not the main focus! Monter Hunter focuses on killing monsters and the story is centered around that. X will probably follow the footsteps of Xenoblade, in which case it's going to have a story that doesn't just involve killing mosnters. that itself sets it apart from Monster Hunter.

Besides Shadow of the Colossus involves killing 16 colossus (Giant monsters), and it's the game main focus. Is that a Monster Hunter clone too?

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"