By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

darkknightkryta said:
F0X said:

The first trailer showed off the battle system.

The second trailer showed off some environments and teased the story.

Neither one showed off any Monster Hunter-esque mechanics. Unless you think that all JRPGs in which players battle monsters are, in fact, Monster Hunter clones.

Close ;o.  More or less if the game has a hub(Normally one) and requires you to go out and kill monsters with not much else.

The trailers don't explicitly define a hub area. There's a city, but we don't know what role it plays. You're making an assumption.

Without making any assumptions, this is what we know: massive world, mechs, giant monsters, and Xenoblade-like gameplay.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network

in case anyone was wondering what my links are about, here is a little hint. LO

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

F0X said:
darkknightkryta said:
F0X said:

The first trailer showed off the battle system.

The second trailer showed off some environments and teased the story.

Neither one showed off any Monster Hunter-esque mechanics. Unless you think that all JRPGs in which players battle monsters are, in fact, Monster Hunter clones.

Close ;o.  More or less if the game has a hub(Normally one) and requires you to go out and kill monsters with not much else.

The trailers don't explicitly define a hub area. There's a city, but we don't know what role it plays. You're making an assumption.

Without making any assumptions, this is what we know: massive world, mechs, giant monsters, and Xenoblade-like gameplay.

I am making assumptions and if you bothered to read what I initially wrote I said we don't know enough because not a lot has been released.  Just going by the trailer I saw, it looks like a Monster Hunter like game.  When/If they release a cutscene trailer then we can put my guesses to rest.

Shadow of the Colossus is sort of like a Monster Hunter Clone, except it's only boss battles with nothing in between  (To other guy).

darkknightkryta said:
F0X said:

I am making assumptions and if you bothered to read what I initially wrote I said we don't know enough because not a lot has been released.  Just going by the trailer I saw, it looks like a Monster Hunter like game.  When/If they release a cutscene trailer then we can put my guesses to rest.

Shadow of the Colossus is sort of like a Monster Hunter Clone, except it's only boss battles with nothing in between  (To other guy).

Hmm. I thought it's pretty clear that X resembles Xenoblade and Xenogears most of all. The similarties to Monster Hunter strike me as superficial at best.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

so whos excited for lightning Returns: FF13? is anybody?
ive been thinking of the ff13 games today and how much ive actually enjoyed them. I m looking forward to playing the final installment in the FF13 saga, i just hope serah can be brought back somehow, i ended up really liking her in Ff13-2

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network

Playing FFIX for the first time...

@gooch_destroyer, if u need any help, let me know ok?
its a pretty decent ff game

So Tales of Zestiria has been announced. I love the tales games but i cant help but feel slightly disappointed. I've watched the trailer and i was hoping they were going to update visuals but they havn't and the game engine they're using looks seriously dated now. I'm sure ill enjoy the game but i look forward to seeing the tales series get a visual upgrade, it really needs it now.
Also that main male protagonist has to lose that cape :)

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

@stokedup, i think namco is just reusing alot of assets now, and being using the same engine since tales of vesperia it seems as well. i hope they show off a tales game at tgs next year, or i might have my rpg out on the ps4 , before they do. :)

It's the 5 year anniversary of this thread!!! Let's celebrate by playing the masterpiece that is Knack!