By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Console are you getting FFXIII for

Hyams said:
Selnor:

But just because that option is there for developers doesn't mean they'll take it.

It's possible to make a game on the PS3 with no install and no load times, and yet almost no games take advantage of this. An install isn't needed in any PS3 games (multiplat or otherwise) for decent performance - Capcom, perhaps the worst PS3 install offenders, have acknowledged this - and yet many developers have fallen back onto this technique just because it's easy and cost efficent.

I honestly wouldn't be suprised if only very few 360 games took advantage of the possibility to install the entire game onto the harddrive for much the same reasons.

wat. Since NXE launched, you can install every game in its entirety to your hard drive.

Around the Network
Hyams said:
Selnor:

But just because that option is there for developers doesn't mean they'll take it.

It's possible to make a game on the PS3 with no install and no load times, and yet almost no games take advantage of this. An install isn't needed in any PS3 games (multiplat or otherwise) for decent performance - Capcom, perhaps the worst PS3 install offenders, have acknowledged this - and yet many developers have fallen back onto this technique just because it's easy and cost efficent.

I honestly wouldn't be suprised if only very few 360 games took advantage of the possibility to install the entire game onto the harddrive for much the same reasons.

Ummmm, do you know how the install thing works?

Every game back to launch bar just a couple I believe are fully installable on the HDD. It's not the devs which make the game installable, it's NXE. What I meant was the devs are now encouraged by M$ (due to all games being able to download onto HDD) to optimize the code so when it's installed, it improves load times as well as choppy framerate (which can happen due to disc accessing) and no more loading textures when code is optimized.

Whereas PS3 games are dev registered installs. If the dev doesnt issue it, you cant install the game.

Difference?

M$ have initiated install for 360

developer initiates on PS3

PS3-The power of Cell baby

Don't Worry.....Be Happy

True Selnor.
+1.

The large majority of ancient 360 games are already improved by transfering them to the HDD.
Better Framerate.
Faster Loadtimes.

Xbox360 is now 100% silent.

Imagine now if devs get a look at this feature!!!
Games optimized from HDD reading.
Virtually no load times.
Awesome.

My Gaming Setup

selnor said:
DMeisterJ said:
Neoraf said:

Thanks for the info guys.
Can someone who transfered Lost Odyssey on the HDD confirm this?

I tought there was no need for Disc swapping if you let Disc1 in the tray.

BTW, 360 disc transfer IS NOT a game install.
Totally different from the PS3 install.

There is no decompilation of files, no back and forth transfer from Disc and HDD.
The 360 disc transfer is only a DATA MOVE.
A disc ISO.
A disc image on the Hard Drive.

The PS3 is creating distinct files on the PS3 hard drive, like on a PC install.
Totally different approach.

But lets not mince words here. 

Both times it involves you waiting for a bar to go across a screen, Amirite?  That's the part people acutally care about.  It's not about ISOs and whatnot, it's about space for the save, and time. 

No need for confirmation from someone else, MS themselves have said that you have to put each disc in.  It's wholly true.  But I didn't install LO, so IDK.

I still think people should get whatever version they want, but by and large, they're going to be the same exact thing, except for controller preference.

I think your missing the point here. Now installs are available on 360, if a feveloper optimizes the game when the game is chosen for install, every game that is installed on 360 has the ability to perform better than it's PS3 counterpart. Because it never ever has to access the disc other than the first 10 secs to make sure you own the game.

PS3 install still has to read off the bluray as well as HDD.

Yes you do have to load each disc on, but the performance can be better with installs now on 360. Can read data much faster than any DVD or BD spinning disc.

Any game in 2009 that is coming to 360 can be optimized for those who install. So it provides a decent reason for people to do it, performance gain, as well as noisless console.

Agreed.

Developers can optimize for downloads.  We'll see what 2009 brings on that front.

Around the Network

Consoles Owned: XBOX 360, Wii, DS and PSP.

DMeisterJ said:
selnor said:
DMeisterJ said:
Neoraf said:

Thanks for the info guys.
Can someone who transfered Lost Odyssey on the HDD confirm this?

I tought there was no need for Disc swapping if you let Disc1 in the tray.

BTW, 360 disc transfer IS NOT a game install.
Totally different from the PS3 install.

There is no decompilation of files, no back and forth transfer from Disc and HDD.
The 360 disc transfer is only a DATA MOVE.
A disc ISO.
A disc image on the Hard Drive.

The PS3 is creating distinct files on the PS3 hard drive, like on a PC install.
Totally different approach.

But lets not mince words here. 

Both times it involves you waiting for a bar to go across a screen, Amirite?  That's the part people acutally care about.  It's not about ISOs and whatnot, it's about space for the save, and time. 

No need for confirmation from someone else, MS themselves have said that you have to put each disc in.  It's wholly true.  But I didn't install LO, so IDK.

I still think people should get whatever version they want, but by and large, they're going to be the same exact thing, except for controller preference.

I think your missing the point here. Now installs are available on 360, if a feveloper optimizes the game when the game is chosen for install, every game that is installed on 360 has the ability to perform better than it's PS3 counterpart. Because it never ever has to access the disc other than the first 10 secs to make sure you own the game.

PS3 install still has to read off the bluray as well as HDD.

Yes you do have to load each disc on, but the performance can be better with installs now on 360. Can read data much faster than any DVD or BD spinning disc.

Any game in 2009 that is coming to 360 can be optimized for those who install. So it provides a decent reason for people to do it, performance gain, as well as noisless console.

Agreed.

Developers can optimize for downloads.  We'll see what 2009 brings on that front.

That being said the PS3 version will sell alot more. I think JRPG owners bought the PS3 in general. How you guys have held out this long for JRPG's is beyond me. I owned and loved PS2 mainly due to the variety of RPG's. When I originally bought my 360 I expected to have to buy a PS3 awhile ago for RPG's. I have been pleasantly surprised that I have had no need to. M$ have done a tremendous job of providing the 360 with a wealth of RPG exclusives.

But I'm happy that when FF13 is released all PS3 and 360 fans can talk about how (hopefully) good FF13 is. What I hope when it's released is no talk about which version is marginally better, but how we all loved X and Y.

MAybe it will be bring a few fanboys together for awhile. :)

selnor said:
Hyams said:
Selnor:

Ummmm, do you know how the install thing works?

Every game back to launch bar just a couple I believe are fully installable on the HDD. It's not the devs which make the game installable, it's NXE. What I meant was the devs are now encouraged by M$ (due to all games being able to download onto HDD) to optimize the code so when it's installed, it improves load times as well as choppy framerate (which can happen due to disc accessing) and no more loading textures when code is optimized.

Whereas PS3 games are dev registered installs. If the dev doesnt issue it, you cant install the game.

Difference?

M$ have initiated install for 360

developer initiates on PS3

Sorry, I guess I should have made myself clearer:

I meant devs optimising their 360 games so that the install will give them a noticable improvement. At the moment, most 360 games only get a very small boost (and sometimes no boost at all) in performance from the install.

The ps3. The Tripple ! ofcourse !

Check out my game about moles ^