By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Console are you getting FFXIII for

Thanks for the info guys.
Can someone who transfered Lost Odyssey on the HDD confirm this?

I tought there was no need for Disc swapping if you let Disc1 in the tray.

BTW, 360 disc transfer IS NOT a game install.
Totally different from the PS3 install.

There is no decompilation of files, no back and forth transfer from Disc and HDD.
The 360 disc transfer is only a DATA MOVE.
A disc ISO.
A disc image on the Hard Drive.

The PS3 is creating distinct files on the PS3 hard drive, like on a PC install.
Totally different approach.

My Gaming Setup

Around the Network

for the better console, the 360 of course

Neoraf said:

There is no decompilation of files, no back and forth transfer from Disc and HDD.
A disc ISO.

But lets not mince words here. 

Both times it involves you waiting for a bar to go across a screen, Amirite?  That's the part people acutally care about.  It's not about ISOs and whatnot, it's about space for the save, and time. 

No need for confirmation from someone else, MS themselves have said that you have to put each disc in.  It's wholly true.  But I didn't install LO, so IDK.

I still think people should get whatever version they want, but by and large, they're going to be the same exact thing, except for controller preference.

Neoraf said:

A disc ISO.

That's pure semantics though. Whatever you want to call it - install or data move - the effect is the same. You sit for a period of time whilst data is put onto the hard drive.

But aren't we all getting a little ahead of ourselves? We know nothing about either version. The PS3 version might not have an install, after all, and if it does we don't know how long it'll take. We don't know for sure how many discs each version will be (even the PS3 version could potentially be more than one disc). We don't know which version will run better (although my money's on the PS3 version), or even if one version will run better than the other. We don't know if there'll be any online features (there probably won't be) so there's no point in listing LIVE as being an advantage.

DMeisterJ said:
Neoraf said:

A disc ISO.

But lets not mince words here. 

Both times it involves you waiting for a bar to go across a screen, Amirite?  That's the part people acutally care about.  It's not about ISOs and whatnot, it's about space for the save, and time. 

No need for confirmation from someone else, MS themselves have said that you have to put each disc in.  It's wholly true.  But I didn't install LO, so IDK.

I still think people should get whatever version they want, but by and large, they're going to be the same exact thing, except for controller preference.

I think your missing the point here. Now installs are available on 360, if a feveloper optimizes the game when the game is chosen for install, every game that is installed on 360 has the ability to perform better than it's PS3 counterpart. Because it never ever has to access the disc other than the first 10 secs to make sure you own the game.

PS3 install still has to read off the bluray as well as HDD.

Yes you do have to load each disc on, but the performance can be better with installs now on 360. Can read data much faster than any DVD or BD spinning disc.

Any game in 2009 that is coming to 360 can be optimized for those who install. So it provides a decent reason for people to do it, performance gain, as well as noisless console.

Around the Network

So in other words 360 IS WAY BETTER THAN PS3 in every single case selnor.

oh btw.. good look installing AT LEAST 30-50gb of DATA on the HDD, which wont take 5-15 mins either.

mM
leo-j said:

So in other words 360 IS WAY BETTER THAN PS3 in every single case selnor.

oh btw.. good look installing AT LEAST 30-50gb of DATA on the HDD, which wont take 5-15 mins either.

Not every way, there may be exclusives you want on PS3. And some out there want Blu ray. But I was talking multiplat performance as well as general 360 performance. It no longer has to wait for ANY info off the disc. And now devs can optimize games for that install.

Also if Oblivion takes 8 mins, I'm betting 100% that FF 13 is no bigger than 4 discs. So a full install is half hour.

I find it ironic that PS3 owners would use installs as a bad thing for increased performance, when fanboys were using that arguement for the last 2 years against 360 fans. Now M$ does the installs for better overall performance than PS3 installs and the fans of PS3 say installs suck.

At least with the 360 you have a choice. People like choice.

Im getting my copy for 360, anyone keeping count?

depends really, if the ps3 version is considerably better than PS3 but if its virtually the same on 360 just on multiple discs i'm getting it for the 360 for achievements (yes i know my ps3 has trophies but i like the achievements more)

Selnor:

But just because that option is there for developers doesn't mean they'll take it.

It's possible to make a game on the PS3 with no install and no load times, and yet almost no games take advantage of this. An install isn't needed in any PS3 games (multiplat or otherwise) for decent performance - Capcom, perhaps the worst PS3 install offenders, have acknowledged this - and yet many developers have fallen back onto this technique just because it's easy and cost efficent.

I honestly wouldn't be suprised if only very few 360 games took advantage of the possibility to install the entire game onto the harddrive for much the same reasons.