By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship

Infamous said:

Yeah, ALL 360's are affected by NXE, lol. It's just newer models are better off the bat. Wow, for someone that has such hate against M$, you sure don't know anything about them.

First, I made the name when it was true.  Second, I'll judge for myself when I listen/feel one.  I hereby declare that if a 360 is 1 decibel louder than PS3 or 1 degree Fahrenheit hotter, I LOL.  Third, Jesus Christ that revolutionary software change took them forever.  Glad it allows y'all to crow about it.  I bet the $1billion loss due to RRoD is still understated, however.  Fourth, when MS does something good such as...make their hardware better, I consider it a good thing.  It's the opposite, the lack of quality, that was (sorry, is) the bad thing.

Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:

Yeah, ALL 360's are affected by NXE, lol. It's just newer models are better off the bat. Wow, for someone that has such hate against M$, you sure don't know anything about them.

First, I made the name when it was true.  Second, I'll judge for myself when I listen/feel one.  I hereby declare that if a 360 is 1 decibel louder than PS3 or 1 degree Fahrenheit hotter, I LOL.  Third, Jesus Christ that revolutionary software change took them forever.  Glad it allows y'all to crow about it.  I bet the $1billion loss due to RRoD is still understated, however.  Fourth, when MS does something good such as...make their hardware better, I consider it a good thing.  It's the opposite, the lack of quality, that was (sorry, is) the bad thing.

Your declaration is wrong, but you're allowed to be in denial until you actually see for yourself. Maybe go vist a friend who has a 360.

Also, 1bil loss that was made up a long time ago < 3.50bil debt Sony's in and getting deepr ever more so (lol@all the media negative PS3 threads).

l0L ?

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

All right children let's get back on the OT of Sony is doomed ;)

Washington Post respones to the CNN article.

It is like a fanboy console wars being played out on the pages of major news outlets.

Is Sony's PS3 Really a Sinking Ship?

Some in the media think so, but flapping lips don't necessarily sink ships if you look at the broader picture.

CNN has declared Sony's PS3 "a sinking ship" riffing off last Thursday's "plummeting" NPD sales results. CNN bases its gloomy diagnosis on Sony's sales plunge of 19 points, compared to sales in November 2007. That's a fair criticism, but it isolates a superficially negative statistic while ignoring the fact that this November only included two days of post-holiday sales (11/28 - 11/29) compared to last year's eight total (11/23 - 11/30). I'm speculating here, but if you could adjust for that difference, it's very likely PS3 sales would have increased, however slightly, year-over-year.

What's more, Sony rightly points out that the PS3 has seen hardware sales grow 60% year-to-date. I realize the PS3 wasn't selling well in 2007, so that figure's less impressive than it sounds, but growth is growth, any way you slice it. What's more, look at PS3 and Xbox 360 units sold in total worldwide, and Sony pretty much throughout 2008 has actually been playing catchup.

Then there's the PlayStation brand overall, which when you factor in the PSP and PS2, topped 1 million units, more than the Xbox 360's 836,000. The PlayStation brand has in fact pretty easily muscled past the Xbox brand practically every month since the PS3's launch. Sony's margins on the PSP and PS2 are almost certainly better than the PS3's, so which company's actually been more profitable in overall unit sales is less obvious than it seems.

On the other hand, CNN's whacking the nail on the head when it raises the problem of the PlayStation 3's price. The recession's been on well and long enough for Sony to have reacted by now, and yet it's stubbornly clung to that $400 entry point. Had it dropped the PS3's price to $300 or even $350 it's a safe bet October and November's numbers would've tallied much more favorably. Both Microsoft and Sony have a solid stable of exclusives, and both have interesting companion services, but it's price and not NXE/Netflix or PlayStation Home that's deciding the battle at the moment.

Quick points...

CNN's right that the video-game industry isn't recession proof. Nothing is. The rest of us saying as much merely mean "recession-proof-so-far," which it clearly is compared to other ebbing economic indices.

CNN says the differences between Blu-ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50". I suppose that'd be true if your eyes are somehow genetically fixed at 720 x 480 (NTSC). For the rest of us, Blu-ray at even 720p (1280 x 720) with all its other commensurate upticks in sample rates and color quality is shockingly better than the visuals output of the average DVD.

And finally, "the PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console." Really? I guess CNN's not familiar (or perhaps just not partial to) exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future, Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicles, the original Resistance: Fall of Man (twice the game the sequel is, in my opinion), and MLB 08: The Show. When you're talking new unit sales, you count the whole history of notable exclusives, not just the last month or two of holiday attention-grabbers.

Infamous said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:

Your declaration is wrong, but you're allowed to be in denial until you actually see for yourself. Maybe go vist a friend who has a 360.

Also, 1bil loss that was made up a long time ago < 3.50bil debt Sony's in and getting deepr ever more so (lol@all the media negative PS3 threads).

l0L ?

The debt's getting smaller, not bigger.  It grew out of R&D and initial loss per console rates.  So you are wrong.

Yes, LOL at all the media negative PS3 threads.

Any comment on MS taking their sweet time with this coolness/quietness uber fix?  LOL, maybe they would have saved some RRoD's by getting on it earlier.  I'm suggesting of course that the fix doesn't help prevent hotness/RRoD because if it did I find it hard to believe that MS wouldn't find a way to implement it earlier.

And yes, it's eminently reasonable to assume PS3 is quieter and such until hearing otherwise firsthand.  Given the two company's hardware track record, and all.

Around the Network

Do I have to mention that CNN IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST MICROSOFT SUPPORTERS.

880user088 said:
Do I have to mention that CNN IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST MICROSOFT SUPPORTERS.

Sigh

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/47530.php

TIME-WARNER TBS - AOL (donated 1.6 million to GW's 2000 campaign)
America Online (AOL) acquired Time Warner–the largest merger in corporate history.
Television Holdings:
* CNN, HBO, Cinemax, TBS Superstation, Turner Network Television, Turner Classic Movies, Warner Brothers Television, Cartoon Network, Sega Channel, TNT, Comedy Central (50%), E! (49%), Court TV (50%).
* Largest owner of cable systems in the US with an estimated 13 million subscribers.
Media Holdings:
* HBO Independent Productions, Warner Home Video, New Line Cinema, Castle Rock, Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera.
* Music: Atlantic, Elektra, Rhino, Sire, Warner Bros. Records, EMI, WEA, Sub Pop (distribution) = the world’s largest music company.
* 33 magazines including Time, Sports Illustrated, People, In Style, Fortune, Book of the Month Club, Entertainment Weekly, Life, DC Comics (50%), and MAD Magazine.
Other Holdings:
* Sports: The Atlanta Braves, The Atlanta Hawks, World Championship Wrestling.

Hint: Guess who owns MSNBC

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:

First, I made the name when it was true. Second, I'll judge for myself when I listen/feel one. I hereby declare that if a 360 is 1 decibel louder than PS3 or 1 degree Fahrenheit hotter, I LOL. Third, Jesus Christ that revolutionary software change took them forever. Glad it allows y'all to crow about it. I bet the $1billion loss due to RRoD is still understated, however. Fourth, when MS does something good such as...make their hardware better, I consider it a good thing. It's the opposite, the lack of quality, that was (sorry, is) the bad thing.

l0L ?

The debt's getting smaller, not bigger. It grew out of R&D and initial loss per console rates. So you are wrong.

Any comment on MS taking their sweet time with this coolness/quietness uber fix? LOL, maybe they would have saved some RRoD's by getting on it earlier. I'm suggesting of course that the fix doesn't help prevent hotness/RRoD because if it did I find it hard to believe that MS wouldn't find a way to implement it earlier.

And yes, it's eminently reasonable to assume PS3 is quieter and such until hearing otherwise firsthand. Given the two company's hardware track record, and all.

You're obviously not familiar with 'the formula'...

Fumanchu said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:

First, I made the name when it was true. Second, I'll judge for myself when I listen/feel one. I hereby declare that if a 360 is 1 decibel louder than PS3 or 1 degree Fahrenheit hotter, I LOL. Third, Jesus Christ that revolutionary software change took them forever. Glad it allows y'all to crow about it. I bet the $1billion loss due to RRoD is still understated, however. Fourth, when MS does something good such as...make their hardware better, I consider it a good thing. It's the opposite, the lack of quality, that was (sorry, is) the bad thing.

l0L ?

The debt's getting smaller, not bigger. It grew out of R&D and initial loss per console rates. So you are wrong.

Any comment on MS taking their sweet time with this coolness/quietness uber fix? LOL, maybe they would have saved some RRoD's by getting on it earlier. I'm suggesting of course that the fix doesn't help prevent hotness/RRoD because if it did I find it hard to believe that MS wouldn't find a way to implement it earlier.

And yes, it's eminently reasonable to assume PS3 is quieter and such until hearing otherwise firsthand. Given the two company's hardware track record, and all.

You're obviously not familiar with 'the formula'...

lol, he's just mad. He probably cries at night because X360 won console of the year. Crymoar imo.

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Infamous said:

lol, he's just mad. He probably cries at night because X360 won console of the year. Crymoar imo.

Good insults. /sarcasm

What, is it hard to keep arguing with your teeth kicked in?  (figuratively)