By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship

XBOX 360.

The 360 is for the fact that you've went around in a circle and ended up where you started, second place.

:0

Sorry, I'm trying to change, but I had to do it.

Around the Network

Awesome pic.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/10/ps3erfect.storm.490w.jpg

DMeisterJ said:

XBOX 360.

The 360 is for the fact that you've went around in a circle and ended up where you started, second place.

Practice what you preach.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

DMeisterJ said:

XBOX 360.

Actually the 360 started in first place... When does the epic comeback against the Wii begin?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

XBOX 360.

Actually the 360 started in first place... When does the epic comeback against the Wii begin?

I meant the original XBOX was also in 2nd.

Around the Network

how old are these @$$ nuggets who wrote this article?

have they even played a Ps3, or any game system

and who cares if sales are going bad, they still selling

hotrodx said:
DMeisterJ said:

XBOX 360.

Practice what you preach.

I'm trying.

naraku2099 said:
damkira said:
libellule said:
mrstickball said:
If the retards MS are running CNN, then who's running Sony?

fixed

Your assertion that MS is running CNN is ridiculous. Have you not noticed that MS already runs a cable news network, MSNBC?

Maybe it's Nintendo running CNN.

Then that means Sony runs Fox News.  This explains Sony's PR and spin.

TWRoO said:
Kasz216 said:
Impulsivity said:

Look at your numbers flame. The 360 sold less this year in sep (350 '07 vs 528 '08) and virtually the same in oct (366 '07 vs 371 '08) and then only slightly better in November (770 '07 vs 836 '08)

In fact september through November sales are actually down around 100k 07 vs 08, this despite a 100 dollar price drop.

PS3 sales are about even from sep through nov with last year. Up about 100k in Sep and Oct vs down around 80k in Nov. Basically the PS3 is up 100k in sales over the last 3 months vs 07 while the 360 is down 100k in sales over the last three months vs 07. Do the math yourself, despite the big price drop the 360 is doing no better then last year (except maybe in the perception game).

As to the Wii, there has been a nearly 2 to 1 increase in sales with no price drop. Up 200k in sept, 300k in oct and 1 million in November to go from about 2 million in 3 months to about 3.5 million.

Nintendo is the ONLY console maker showing any significant growth (and without a price cut at that). Sony is more or less treading water (also without a price cut) posting only a modest gain. The 360, the only console WITH a price cut is actually thus far doing worse in 08 then it did in 07. This might change with december sales, but as it stands, the 360 is the only console behind last years numbers over the last few months.

For all of 08 thus far in NA (the 360s strong market) the PS3 has doubled last years sales, the Wii has doubled last years MUCH higher sales and the 360 has sales that are almost identical to last year.  From Jan through Nov the 360 is up a few percentage points at best.  Feel free to cherry pick one month out of 12, but the story is far from the "360 dominates!" one you want to tell.

Yeah it was called Halo 3.  It was a pretty big deal... and outside of like... Wii Sports, the biggest console seller this generation.

And Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii.

I meant seller of consoles.

Not sales of a console game.

Wii Fit and Mario Kart and the like unable to count since it couldn't boost past "sold out" already.

Fellow PS3 owners - defend all you want, but face reality. Sony - not the MSM or anyone else - were the fools who said 6 million would buy it without games. Sony was the one who said the BC was a core value in the PS brand. The current PS3 was pimped in order to win the HD format war. That's it. Sure, they thought about gaming, but the ads that I saw advertising the PS3 mentions Blu Ray first - and some mention games.

You can cut it, slice it any way you want - close your eyes and go to your happy place and tell yourself over and over and over again that it's just the dumb media writing stories that are just bad-bad-bad and bashing your beloved console. Take your worries, anxieties and rants to Starbucks and $4 bucks and get some coffee.

You shouldn't try and defend your console. You paid for it because you felt it was worth it. That's awesome, but realize, no matter how hard you budge, so folks will not feel the love you have for your console. Some see it as a glorified Blu Ray player. Some see it as a video game system, but a lot more see currently see it as an expensive machine that is on par - if not behind - a $199 console.

You can try your best to shove your view down folks' throats - ignore the financial statements and say 'It could never happen - the PS3 is here to stay - but like anything - Sony is awesome at orphaning underperforming devices/formats (Sony PS2 HD, BetaMax, ATRAC, Walkman MP3, Sony Connect music site).

It's not about gamers, fanboys or even haters - it's about keeping the investors happy. If they can't do that, they will listen when the investors either demand that Sony cut its losses and start fresh - and just revive the PS2.

It's about making money - and these articles are damning and will make investors question the direction of the PS brand. You may ignore them but believe you me - their investors are reading them and will ask some tough questions.