By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship

Look we all know that the PS3 is on a downward slippery slop and it is nothing to do with money, its to do with MS and Nintendo. If the wii was not selling and the xbox had a HD drive in it and sold for $400 the PS3 would be doing OK, but its not. All then points that CNN made are what people in the street believe. Its only in these forums with Fanboy's are the opinions different. Yes the PS3 is too expensive, yes the exclusive are not the good and BR is not a massive difference to upscaled DVD. These are the facts and this is way the PS3 is not selling. Its not because it has the best games and BR is amazing and the $400 price was good value, if it was then people would by it, people are not stupid and MS and Nintendo are not brain washing them its just not good enough for people to buy it. Thats the truth and we have to live with that.

Around the Network
Christopher_G2 said:
Mediocre game library? It only had the best lineup of any game system in 2008. The article fails.

Your post made me think of the time...

Christhegamer, do you think that the HD drive is the only problem of the Ps3? I'll name some more:

- Wi-Fi bilt in (Is it realy needed for every one?)
- Bluetooth (is it realy needed?)
- Cell
- memory cards readers
- Include the cost of mantaining the PsN live on the price of every Ps3 sold

Now tell me that the Blu Ray is the only reason that makes the Ps3 be a Hight cost?

Batman...WTF? said:
Christopher_G2 said:
Mediocre game library? It only had the best lineup of any game system in 2008. The article fails.

Your post made me think of the time...

...lol

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Press_the_Button said:
The CNN article is spot on in all 3 points really.

It's increasingly my view that Sony should discontinue the PS3 and refocus this gen on the PSP (only because the handheld is at least half way successful and probably profitable per hardware unit sold too).

Then they can buy themselves time to learn lessons from the PS3 disaster, stop the massive losses in the console business and if they are so inclined, launch a PS4 that actually has a chance at being profitable and successful in the same way as the PS2 was.

All the money is made later in a generation, whether the beginning had significant problems or not.  Discontinuing PS3 as manufacturing prices drop and install base grows would be the stupidest move ever.  I hope your job does not entail making business decisions.  I can guess the motivation your recommendation, however.

Considerations about this article:

That wasn't written by someone at CNN money; they linked to a smaller sites article.

The writer at the smaller site was certainly biased (mediocre games comment...horseshit), and while his pricing analysis was correct, he may well be a Microsoft shill for all we know.  MS has a long history of such shit.

I'll also point out that when I posted a CNN Money article saying PS3 was the best Blu-Ray player, XBots said 'never quote from CNN Money.'  Anyone reconsidering now?  LOL.

Around the Network

i hate this article because of its poor logic. 2008 the PS3 had better exclusives than the 360 and 2009 looks to be the same. ofcourse it will sell less it is double the price of the 360. the 360 has basically played all of its cards except making it free to everyone. i still believe at the end of the day the PS3 is the better system and will outsell the 360.

saxophonehero said:
i hate this article because of its poor logic. 2008 the PS3 had better exclusives than the 360 and 2009 looks to be the same IMO. ofcourse it will sell less it is double the price of the 360. the 360 has basically played all of its cards except making it free to everyone. i still believe at the end of the day the PS3 is the better system and will outsell the 360.

u mad??

*waiting for DmiesterJ to post Camron "youmad" pic*

@loud hot white box

Since 360's aren't loud or hot anymore due to NXE HDD installations, I guess you should change your name to "white box." LOL0lz?

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Quote from Billy Gun:
###############
do you think that the HD drive is the only problem of the Ps3? I'll name some more:
- Cell
- memory cards readers
################

-WiFi: yes it is needed as hardly anyone likes putting extra wires in their living room, and if you think about it, the thing can't be more than $4 at mass production level. Only because one company on the market charges $100 for a laughable WiFi connector that does not mean that $100 is the cost of one. The Wii has WiFi, too, did not seem to raise the cost much ...

-Bluetooth: the controller works via Bluetooth, hence YES it is needed, and again, the hardware is in the sub $ range for regular Bluetooth chips. Specially at the x million order margin

-cell: is that a point or just general hate against the cell ? it would not cost that much more than the xbox cpu considering the chips have about the same surface area. Even the development costs where shared as IBM uses the design for their high end servers, unlike the xbox'es chip design that was fully paid by MS

-memory card readers: last time i looked there ain't anymore in the units, so thats fixed, right?

-Cost of PSN is handled via GAME licenses, not via hardware sales from the units. That has already been stated several times. Developers pay a fee for the PSN usage, the rest is financed via the Store. Home will be financed via the store and in-home billboards.

So except the WiFi there is nothing excessively there. Maybe the great QA is a reason for the higher unit cost. Its a well known fact that shoddy hardware costs less in the short term, hence so many cheap electronics are made in china and sold in the west to break in record time.

On Topic: the article is "advertised" as CNN money article, while in fact it is a blog post by a guy who constantly hates upon anything Sony. And reading his pseudo-arguments, i think he is somehow confused. Cause except the nov07 vs nov08 comparison there is nothing in there that has any fact value. And considering that Sony already sold MUCH more in 08 than in 07 overall, i somehow don't think that a single month with a negative year over year index is making them quit, especially cause the overall performance was ok. At the end of the year they will have sold what? 90% of the Xbox360 sales this year? .. at double the price .. Yeah, they certainly quit over that... *rolleyes*

Lumbo said:
Quote from Billy Gun:
###############
do you think that the HD drive is the only problem of the Ps3? I'll name some more:
- Cell
- memory cards readers
################

-WiFi: yes it is needed as hardly anyone likes putting extra wires in their living room, and if you think about it, the thing can't be more than $4 at mass production level. Only because one company on the market charges $100 for a laughable WiFi connector that does not mean that $100 is the cost of one. The Wii has WiFi, too, did not seem to raise the cost much ...

-Bluetooth: the controller works via Bluetooth, hence YES it is needed, and again, the hardware is in the sub $ range for regular Bluetooth chips. Specially at the x million order margin

-cell: is that a point or just general hate against the cell ? it would not cost that much more than the xbox cpu considering the chips have about the same surface area. Even the development costs where shared as IBM uses the design for their high end servers, unlike the xbox'es chip design that was fully paid by MS

-memory card readers: last time i looked there ain't anymore in the units, so thats fixed, right?

-Cost of PSN is handled via GAME licenses, not via hardware sales from the units. That has already been stated several times. Developers pay a fee for the PSN usage, the rest is financed via the Store. Home will be financed via the store and in-home billboards.

So except the WiFi there is nothing excessively there. Maybe the great QA is a reason for the higher unit cost. Its a well known fact that shoddy hardware costs less in the short term, hence so many cheap electronics are made in china and sold in the west to break in record time.

On Topic: the article is "advertised" as CNN money article, while in fact it is a blog post by a guy who constantly hates upon anything Sony. And reading his pseudo-arguments, i think he is somehow confused. Cause except the nov07 vs nov08 comparison there is nothing in there that has any fact value. And considering that Sony already sold MUCH more in 08 than in 07 overall, i somehow don't think that a single month with a negative year over year index is making them quit, especially cause the overall performance was ok. At the end of the year they will have sold what? 90% of the Xbox360 sales this year? .. at double the price .. Yeah, they certainly quit over that... *rolleyes*

Game, set, match.  Good job.

I'm not going to dig through this thread and chance finding any more posts from people who actually thought this blog post was worth a damn.  It'll just be disheartening.

1. It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious.

// Can't argue with that even if it offers best value among all three with no hidden costs along the way the high entry fee is problematic

2. The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".

// I think 600k owners of Dark Knight BR edition who bought it in opening week (over 20% of sales) disagree with this guy. Also this guy must have some serious sight problem to not see a diffrence.

3. The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home."

// X360 fanboy of the worst kind confirmed.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB