By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship

Well, he's right about the 1st reason. Most ppl would get rather get a 360 since most of the games are the same & it's only half the price.

Around the Network
arsenal009 said:
Well, he's right about the 1st reason. Most ppl would get rather get a 360 since most of the games are the same & it's only half the price.

Very good point here.

"The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50 inches".

arsenicazure said:
SONY need that pricecut.. theyr going to let xmas slip but catapult back in march 2009. They need to.. only thing worse than a SONY dominated industry is a M$ dominated one( yes yes the wii is no.1 and all that) I think two incremental cuts of 50$ next year should put them on par with the 360

yeah, one in the spring, one before holidays would help the PS3... but they can't afford it..

A weaker Yen would help off balance the costs, but thats really out of Sony's control

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

The cost of the BR is really the most detrimental mistake they have made. Since they own both the BR technology and the PS then maybe cutting of the leg to save the other one should be done. Unfortunately its just too expensive and not a valid enough reason for the expense.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Plaupius said:

Why is this so hard to understand? Sony as a company is in trouble. It's not that people want the PS3 to fail, at least I don't, it's about facing the reality. Unless Sony can do something miraculous, or unless the exchange rates change to favor Sony, they can't afford a price cut anytime soon. There are serious concerns that Sony, the whole company, is going to lose money. They don't have great reserves of cash, unlike MS. The reason people kept saying "it will change" about the X360 was because MS could afford to cut the prices. It seems very unlike that Sony can do the same, or if they do that they will likely have to finance the price cut with loans.

Why should Sony risk the financial security of the entire company to lower the prices of the PS3? That's the question that I'd like all Sony fanboys to answer. How could Sony regain what they already have invested, pluse the new investments needed to lower the price?

Exactly.

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Around the Network
Infamous said:
Plaupius said:

Why is this so hard to understand? Sony as a company is in trouble. It's not that people want the PS3 to fail, at least I don't, it's about facing the reality. Unless Sony can do something miraculous, or unless the exchange rates change to favor Sony, they can't afford a price cut anytime soon. There are serious concerns that Sony, the whole company, is going to lose money. They don't have great reserves of cash, unlike MS. The reason people kept saying "it will change" about the X360 was because MS could afford to cut the prices. It seems very unlike that Sony can do the same, or if they do that they will likely have to finance the price cut with loans.

Why should Sony risk the financial security of the entire company to lower the prices of the PS3? That's the question that I'd like all Sony fanboys to answer. How could Sony regain what they already have invested, pluse the new investments needed to lower the price?

Exactly.

Um, infamous' first paragraph is correct.  But those facts are not somehow damaging only to Sony fans who want to see more PS3 sales.  Microsoft fans who like to tout 360's greater sales must realize that there are market forces at work here beyond any fault of Sony.  So: Sony fans, the current economic environment makes it hard for PS3 to sell more and easy for the 360 to sell.  Microsoft fans: the current economic environment makes it hard for PS3 to sell more and easy for the 360 to sell.

As for how Sony, financially, could manage to lower prices, it comes down to whether they think they could recoup costs through game sales...but if their finances aren't that strong, they may not have the ability to wait around for their install base to generate the game sales.  Personally, it's hard for me to accept that they couldn't wait it out and reap rewards long-term after dropping prices and getting more PS3's out there, but thus far Sony are waiting.  I think some time next year they'll definitely drop prices; dropping production costs will happen even though the currency market and consumer spending power is bad for them right now.

If they lower the price of the console worldwide they might as well just pull out of the console biz. It is financial suicide for Sony now to even think of any price cut except in Japan which is a maybe at best.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:
Plaupius said:

Exactly.

Um, infamous' first paragraph is correct.  But those facts are not somehow damaging only to Sony fans who want to see more PS3 sales.  Microsoft fans who like to tout 360's greater sales must realize that there are market forces at work here beyond any fault of Sony.  So: Sony fans, the current economic environment makes it hard for PS3 to sell more and easy for the 360 to sell.  Microsoft fans: the current economic environment makes it hard for PS3 to sell more and easy for the 360 to sell.

As for how Sony, financially, could manage to lower prices, it comes down to whether they think they could recoup costs through game sales...but if their finances aren't that strong, they may not have the ability to wait around for their install base to generate the game sales.  Personally, it's hard for me to accept that they couldn't wait it out and reap rewards long-term after dropping prices and getting more PS3's out there, but thus far Sony are waiting.  I think some time next year they'll definitely drop prices; dropping production costs will happen even though the currency market and consumer spending power is bad for them right now.

Thanks I guess, but I didn't write that bro. Rofl. Plaupius did.

And remember, you're supposed to change your name to  "white_box" since 360's aren't loud and hot anymore with NXE. ;)

Get to workin' on that alt!

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Infamous said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:
Plaupius said:

Exactly.

And remember, you're supposed to change your name to  "white_box" since 360's aren't loud and hot anymore with NXE. ;)

So yeah, the other guy said something right.

Wait, have the old 360's become neither loud nor hot with some software change?  The fact that new units are quieter or cooler doesn't cut it.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Infamous said:
Plaupius said:

Exactly.

So yeah, the other guy said something right.

Wait, have the old 360's become neither loud nor hot with some software change?  The fact that new units are quieter or cooler doesn't cut it.

Yeah, ALL 360's are affected by NXE, lol. It's just newer models are better off the bat. Wow, for someone that has such hate against M$, you sure don't know anything about them.

Proud Owner of: