By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony sold 1 MILLION PS3 in November!

darendt said:
IMHO, The Wii is selling to kids and newbies. Congratulations to them for putting out what I think is a very bad console and suckering millions into buying one.......including me.

Microsoft has done an outstanding job advertising for the 360 and the price cut has helped out tremendously. Before the price cut, the PS3 was outselling it WW.

The Ps3 is not selling like it should due to the lack of funds most people have. It is not really a product parents are going to buy for there kids due to its price point. That is why the Wii and the 360 are selling so much right now. That is perfectly fine though. The Ps3 sales will remain steady and pick up again after the holidays. Look for tax return time to be good period for the PS3. Once they manage to drop the price, it will again outsell the 360. People just aren't going to buy there 7 year old a $400 gaming console. They don't need a BD player either. The PS3 is geared more toward adults right now. So by doing so Sony has lost out on a very large market. They can only get that back when they drop the price.

At the end of the day the PS3 is the best console and mine is in use everyday for hours on end. It sits right next to my Wii that is ever collecting dust. Occasionally my son will give Wii sports a try only to get board and want to play the PS3. I do have other games for it but he doesn't care for them. I am glad that Sony did what it did this gen for the most part. I think they should have left the PS2 BC in all consoles though. If my 60GB ever dies, I will not buy another PS3 unless it supports PS2 games as well.

Fixed

Around the Network

PS3 sales are not looking good, I'm thinking of selling mine now that stand alone quality blu-ray players are dropping so low in price, I will wait for the new year sales if a good quality standalone Blu-Ray player is in the stores it's goodbye PS3 for me...

PhalanxCO said:
darendt said:
IMHO, The Wii is selling to kids and newbies. Congratulations to them for putting out what I think is a very bad console and suckering millions into buying one.......including me.

Microsoft has done an outstanding job advertising for the 360 and the price cut has helped out tremendously. Before the price cut, the PS3 was outselling it WW.

The Ps3 is not selling like it should due to the lack of funds most people have. It is not really a product parents are going to buy for there kids due to its price point. That is why the Wii and the 360 are selling so much right now. That is perfectly fine though. The Ps3 sales will remain steady and pick up again after the holidays. Look for tax return time to be good period for the PS3. Once they manage to drop the price, it will again outsell the 360. People just aren't going to buy there 7 year old a $400 gaming console. They don't need a BD player either. The PS3 is geared more toward adults right now. So by doing so Sony has lost out on a very large market. They can only get that back when they drop the price.

At the end of the day the PS3 is the best console and mine is in use everyday for hours on end. It sits right next to my Wii that is ever collecting dust. Occasionally my son will give Wii sports a try only to get board and want to play the PS3. I do have other games for it but he doesn't care for them. I am glad that Sony did what it did this gen for the most part. I think they should have left the PS2 BC in all consoles though. If my 60GB ever dies, I will not buy another PS3 unless it supports PS2 games as well.

Fixed

LOL

Sullla said:
CrazzyMan said:

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 08th Nov 2008 to 29th Nov 2008:

Console PS3
Total

At 400$/€. How bad for Sony... =)
it probably will sell 2 MILLIONS or even more in December, again at 400$/€.
Selling 3 mln. consoles in 2 months probably is very BAD. PS3 is dying. =)))

But if we compare for the same four weeks LAST year:

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 10th Nov 2007 to 01st Dec 2007:

Console PS3
Total

I don't think all the smileys in the world can spin this positively. =)))

Sure this is easy to understand once you factor in that this year there are sub $200 blu-ray players on the market.  Last year the PS3 was selling to gamers as well as videophiles since it was the best value for a blu-ray player.  This year some sales have gone to the lower cost blu-ray only players that are now available.  Sony isn't in trouble......MS has just turned up the FUD machine to overload because they know that their offering is pretty much at the end of it's lifespan and the PS3 is just starting to hit it's stride.

Sony is having to chart a difficult course given the current world economic situation and other factors.....but they will make it through and they will come out ahead in the long run.  

JerryEastwood said:

PS3 sales are not looking good, I'm thinking of selling mine now that stand alone quality blu-ray players are dropping so low in price, I will wait for the new year sales if a good quality standalone Blu-Ray player is in the stores it's goodbye PS3 for me...

The PS3 is still one of the best BR players on the market, and the cheap BRs are all older models with less functionality.

Around the Network
misterd said:
JerryEastwood said:

The PS3 is still one of the best BR players on the market, and the cheap BRs are all older models with less functionality.

entirely true.  BR player manufacturers are also raising the prices post holiday season so expect a sall rise in perceived value of the console.

StarrGazer said:
Sullla said:
CrazzyMan said:

Console PS3
Total

But if we compare for the same four weeks LAST year:

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 10th Nov 2007 to 01st Dec 2007:

Console PS3
Total

I don't think all the smileys in the world can spin this positively. =)))

Sure this is easy to understand once you factor in that this year there are sub $200 blu-ray players on the market.  Last year the PS3 was selling to gamers as well as videophiles since it was the best value for a blu-ray player.  This year some sales have gone to the lower cost blu-ray only players that are now available.  Sony isn't in trouble......MS has just turned up the FUD machine to overload because they know that their offering is pretty much at the end of it's lifespan and the PS3 is just starting to hit it's stride.

Sony is having to chart a difficult course given the current world economic situation and other factors.....but they will make it through and they will come out ahead in the long run.  

So you counter their FUD with some of your own?  You should get a job in PR.

CRISIS!!!

Okay then. The PS3 is not dead yet! Hooray.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
shams said:
CrazzyMan said:

Console PS3
Total

Awesome. So at a LOSS of between $50US- $100US per unit - they will only lose $50-$100m [1] US in Nov, and double that in December on PS3 hardware. Way to go Sony ;)

Lets hope they sell enough software, PS2 & PSP hardware to make up the overall loss [2]...

I can only imagine how "well" they would have done with a $100US price cut [3]...

1. Pales in comparison to a $1billion dollar RRoD loss that doesn't appear in most MS financial statements, huh?  Go ahead and divide that up per console sold.  But hey, they get lots of extra charges from fans in the way of Live payments, proprietary hard drives, wifi, etc.

WOW! You've got no idea what you're talking about. Take 1 billion and divide it by 25 million you get $40 per unit. Not only do you not know elementary math, you don't know shit about financial statements:

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/reports/ar07/staticversion/10k_fr_qtl.html <~~ MS 2007 Annual Report. See Q4 in Table and See note 3.

MS set aside $1 billion to cover the extended warranty charges. It's not $1 billion lost, once the end of the coverage period arrives they will be able to credit whatever is left of the $1 billion back to they're income.

ymeaga1n said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
shams said:
CrazzyMan said:

Console PS3
Total

Awesome. So at a LOSS of between $50US- $100US per unit - they will only lose $50-$100m [1] US in Nov, and double that in December on PS3 hardware. Way to go Sony ;)

Lets hope they sell enough software, PS2 & PSP hardware to make up the overall loss [2]...

I can only imagine how "well" they would have done with a $100US price cut [3]...

1. Pales in comparison to a $1billion dollar RRoD loss that doesn't appear in most MS financial statements, huh?  Go ahead and divide that up per console sold.  But hey, they get lots of extra charges from fans in the way of Live payments, proprietary hard drives, wifi, etc.

WOW! You've got no idea what you're talking about. Take 1 billion and divide it by 25 million you get $40 per unit. Not only do you not know elementary math, you don't know shit about financial statements:

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/reports/ar07/staticversion/10k_fr_qtl.html <~~ MS 2007 Annual Report. See Q4 in Table and See note 3.

MS set aside $1 billion to cover the extended warranty charges. It's not $1 billion lost, once the end of the coverage period arrives they will be able to credit whatever is left of the $1 billion back to they're income.

Bold got owned by Italics.