By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to Enter the Handheld Market with CES announcement

There are two things that will help this be successful:

1.) Compatibility with the Zune Marketplace
2.) Compatibility with Xbox Live Arcade/Marketplace downloads

If they can successfully find a way to do this, I think it can take off. Imagine being able to play any or most of your XBLA downloads on the go and all this while listening to your own tunes from Zune.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

Around the Network

As long as it plays Netflix, nothing else matters. u_u

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

So let me get this straight. Not only are we going to send a sub par brand into the fray of brands of Playstation Portable, Nintendo DS, and iPhone, but we are going to do it when the economy hasn't been great and the DS coming off of it's best year yet.

Please, please tell me this is staying a rumor for everyone's sake. Just not the time.

Zucas , why not having an alternate handheld in the market. I like the interface of the DS but the power of it is keeping me away of buying it...

Well, it would probably sell to a core of 360 owners. But overall this would seem more likely to hinder MS expansion into entertainment than help it.

Unless they take a massive loss by making it really cheap - or risk another RROD by pushing power without enough QC - then I just don't see the current market supporting it.

On the other hand if they decide to accept losses then if it gains a foothold via 360 owners they could be well positioned for future expansion.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
eliasg said:
Zucas , why not having an alternate handheld in the market. I like the interface of the DS but the power of it is keeping me away of buying it...

Why? It's not like it makes a material difference in the quality of the games.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

@zucas

the xbox brand has improved this gen...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

EaglesEye379 said:
XBLA marketplace and Zunecasts on a handheld will be a win for me. Imagine playing Geo Wars 2, Braid, Castle Crashers on a portable... big win.

Now that is certainly an idea. I admittedly doubted it at first, but that does kind of make sense, as most arcade games could be played on a handheld. Sony have kind of done that with PSP, but in most cases you have to rebuy the game....

Anyway, the problem is that FPS do not work on handhelds, so that kind of rules out proper Halo or Gears games, though Gears could certainly go the Killzone Liberation route.

I would still call myself sceptical, I don't think mid-gen is the time to be launching a handheld, the best time to launch it would be a year before the 720, to basically test some of the new Live stuff that they will inevitably have nex-gen

The DS and Psp already dominate the handheld market. Both portable systems are the number 1 and 3 most successful handhelds in history, respectively. MS doesn't have a breathing chance.

CES is in one month. Jan 8th. At least we will not have to wait long to find out.