By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to Enter the Handheld Market with CES announcement

Microsoft To Enter the Handheld Market with CES Announcement

via Kotaku

Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry may have spilled some beans about Microsoft’s upcoming CES showing.

According to the analyst, and Wired’s Gadget Lab seems to buy it, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer will be announcing a Zune-style mobile device during his keynote at the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas next month.

The device is said to include “motion enhancement features” like an accelerometer, a large, multimedia-friendly screen and a keyboard.

What’s that mean for gaming? Well if nothing else, I’m sure we will see an explosion of portable gaming hit this new Zune device, perhaps even that long awaited Live Anywhere software. But Gadget Lab seems to think that perhaps this device may not be a phone at all, maybe it will be a web-enabled portable Xbox Zune.

On the surface that seems plausible, what with NVidia making a special chip for a mobile Microsoft product, and Microsoft being the only gaming hardware company out there without a portable device for gaming. But with the economy crashing down around our ears, is now really the time for that? It all depends on the price.

http://dlb-network.com/2008/12/microsoft-to-enter-the-handheld-market-with-ces-announcement/

Around the Network

If it's 400 bux or higher, it will be a bomba. At least MSFT can afford it.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

:O interesting.

@dolmeit, i don't think it will be 400 if true, it should be reasonably priced 200-300 dollars i think

As the zune is to the ipod, this thing will be to the ipod touch

Around the Network

Good luck competing against the DS/iPhone. This will be a hard market to succeed in.

cant wait for this, i ll be my first handheld ever!!!!!! j/k

More like competing against the DS/PSP. The iPhone games are nothing compared to REAL handheld games on the DS/PSP.

WiiStation360 said:
Good luck competing against the DS/iPhone. This will be a hard market to succeed in.

That made me chuckle.

YES!

finally exciting days ahead of use....new Hardware launch is always fun to see!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey