By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Sony should leave console war and go third-party (for everyones' sake)

MS is the least creative, least innovative company of the big 3. if anyone should leave the console business is should be MS. an MS dominated gaming world would grind quickly become very stale as MS would have no one to copy their vision from.

Around the Network

Your actualy arguing in favour of making gaming a less competetive industry ? Why not argue Nintendo into 3rd party support and give Microsoft a monopoloy whilst your at it.

MDMAniac said:

SMcc1887 said:
PS4 is destined for success. CHEAP (using PS3 parts), Sexy (like everything Sony), Powerful (Cell) , launch with gr8 games (devs will be experienced) and play blu ray (could be the new DVD by next gen).

Sony aren't going anywhere, they are still making money, and these are its darkest days. And Sony are not comparable to Sega. In terms of world power Sony as a multinational Corp is far bigger and better especially financially than Sega was to deal with tricky situation than Sega.

First bold: I wouldn't be sure about that :P You never know what Sony execs are capable of, remember PS3 was destined for success, too?

Second bold: Actually, Sony is like big sinking Titanic, you'd better have checked their health before posting your enthuasism

PS3 is still successful, and will become even more successful. Its just that as Sonys PS2 sold 120+ Million it makes it look unsuccessful.

I really doubt this. Sony has way longer to live than one night and Sony wont financially sink in the Atlantic, especially when they still make profit.

Sony is currently suffering from Liver Damage as they have drunk away to much cash. A few minor operations and a few years without as much drink and they'll be fine.

Yeah... Sony should quit and not the software giant that has done nothing but throw money around to get games on their system...

I smell an amazing amount of biased opinions in the original post! Legend11 we all know you are a 360 nut but give it a rest for a minute...

I don't want anyone to leave or join the business.The 3 already there are healthy competition and more options would hurt our wallets.Either no one leaves,or they all combine,which of course,will never happen.
Some1 has to make every1 else look good each generation,ain't it?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
Kasz216 said:
NeoRatt said:
MrBubbles said:
NeoRatt said:
I think that Microsoft should exit, but in return Sony and Nintendo adopt the XBox 360 OS and Live.

It is really Microsoft that does not belong making hardware. Sony and Nintendo are good at it. But Microsoft has the best OS and best online experience through software.

That way, you could buy a Sony or Nintendo box, and still play Gears, Halo, Resistance, Drake, Mario and Zelda on one box where MS gets money from the Games, the OS, and Live, and Sony and Nintendo make money through games and hardware.

oh yes...i forgot how reliable the ps1 and ps2 were.....  it took them 3 tries and microsoft 1.

The 360 hardware isn't exactly know as "quality"...  RRoD anyone?...

No I'm not a PS3 fanboy...  I have 6 x 360's throughout my house and more games then I can ever finish or count for 360.  But, Microsoft is a self admitted software company and they only do hardware becuase they have to, not because they want to.

I say, one console OS, with Live available through either Sony or Nintendo consoles...  Where I can play Mario, Zelda, God of War, Resistance, Gears Halo, etc. on one box rather then 3.  For the record, I would buy the Nintendo one because Sony has ticked me off way too much.

I think he meant the original Xbox worked really well.

Seriously though... i don't think sony has enough quality internal development studios to take advantage even if they were stupid enough to do this.

Most of their money has always come from 3rd party liscensing fees.

That's worse, though.  To go from a reliable Xbox to an unreliable 360.

To show steady improvement in quality over time is good.  To start well then go backwards is terrible.  I also believe RROD simply shows the risks MS is willing to take to 'win' from their point of view - and I don't think that's a good thing from a consumer perspective.  360 shouldn't have released when it did, as the various 'leaks' have pretty much confirmed the QA & QC cycle was far to compressed in MS rush to market, yet MS pushed ahead then simply reached for their wallet when the game was up.

Also, it's hilarious to argue Sony should leave the field.  You might as well argue MS should never have entered it.

It's also pretty silly to miss out Nintento in this.  IMO its Nintendo who's taken Sony's crown, not MS.  If you look at trends for this gen vs previous gen (as The Source nicely included within his recent 100 weeks analysis) its obvious that in fact MS is just chipping away, very slowly growing and having to spend a fortune to do so, while Nintento and Sony have essentially completely swapped places this generation.

Oh i agree it's ridiculious.  Just mentioned that's what i think he meant.

As for Sony... I think they made the same mistakes, no?

I mean they rushed the PS1 and PS2 out early to beat the competition to the market. (outside of sega.)

Why Microsoft should quit and go 3rd party:

1.) They can't make hardware: Both the original Xbox and the 360 have been plagued with wide scale hardware issues

2.) Image: Microsoft isn't known for making a "gaming" console (why else would it always sell badly in Japan despite their RPG effort, and in Europe despite being sooo much cheaper than the competition) Their image is that of PCs...and ONLY PCs whereas Sony has a more trusted name in the living room (regardless of what you said about Microsoft) Every applicable appliance, Sony makes, even our hobby: gaming

3.) Gaming experiences: We all know there are games on the PS3 that are not only exclusive, but could only be done on the PS3. And they're only getting better and better. No one called Ratchet and Clank Future: TOD "Ratchet 3.5", but everyone was quick to call Halo 3 "Halo 2.5". Devs are complaining about the PS3 architecture and yet continue to work with it and pump out the best games we've seen ever

4.) Microsoft makes bad investments: They stuck with a DVD drive in their console, backed HDDVD, and completely disregard Blu-ray because "oh the world will go completely digital in a year" [not gonna happen].

5.) First party: M$ only has a few studios to support it. Sony has many. And M$ doesn't seem to be intent on acquiring more studios. What's going to happen if 3rd parties ever "pulled a Nintendo" on an Xbox console? Xbox gaming division would just die because it can't support itsself.

Not as lengthy or in depth, but you get the gist of it

@ Legend11

So you think that FF XIII is taking sooo long due to the PS3???? man FFXIII is super ambitious,, and the best coders in the world are coding for it,,,

didnt understand your point about Star ocean 4,,, its in development on the 360, your console of choise,,, how can the PS3 delay that ?????

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)

Damn, just too late to not-get-hit by the shitstorm.

Anyway... monopoly's are bad, Mkay? I don't care if either MS or sony buggers out (nintendo seems too unlikely) as long as a new company takes their places.

My ideal vision is nintendo (reliable and creative) + an HD manufacturer (because everyone needs to get their gore and graphics fix) + a mix of both. Sony, in my opinion fits the latter category (though I would not complain from a market point of view if another company starting with an S would renew itself...)

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

I think either Sony or MS should go third party. Sony *sigh* tends to only makes things bigger and badder(good sense) rather than bring something new. This makes Sony consoles in future design irrelevent. Will PS4 copy Wii or offer something? who knows. MS tends to do the same, but they do keep there eyes open to new paths. While they are no more adaptable they can change gears faster.

In eitherway both companies would probably do better to support each other. Sony could levy their other hardware components to the next XBox. This would result in an insane tv pc. With Sonys list of games backed with MS OS based software and Live service it would be the most uber system.

As it currently stands both companies make the other irrelevant in regards to gaming. So why have both?

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.