By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Sony should leave console war and go third-party (for everyones' sake)

What does this post accomplish? Oh yeah - ignore all further posts from the OP.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

Like many other people I have been watching the brutal battle between Microsoft and Sony for HD gaming dominance with interest.  I have come to feel that dispite all the great games that have resulted from it there are simply far too many casualties happening among third-parties.  I think Sony for the sake of the entire industry should consider leaving the hardware side of the business and here are my reasons why:

1) Multi-platform development would become cheaper.  The simple fact is that the PS3 is significantly different than the PC and 360 to develop for and third-parties would benefit from not having to develop and publish games for it.  Delays caused by multi-platform development would likely be greatly reduced as well as the cost.  Also the PC and 360 are simply easier to develop for.

2) Sony could likely sell more of their games on the competitions' consoles.  LittleBigPlanet?  LittleBigSales is sadly more of an apt name.  Simply put their exclusive PS3 games would likely sell more on competitor's consoles.  Imagine the sales of Uncharted on PC and 360 compared to its sales on PS3 alone.

3) Microsoft has more of a vested interest in the living room.  Simply put Microsoft sees a multimedia "PC" in the living room as a threat to their core business.  Sony on the other hand would still see their movies digitally distributed in living rooms regardless.  They would still have their TVs and Blu-Ray players and would not be locked out of the living room and possible the entire house like Microsoft fears happening to itself.

4) Sony will have a much harder time next generation.  They came off the most successful console in history which helped to shore up large losses caused by the PS3.  Next generation it's likely the PS3 won't be the gravy train that the PS2 is which could make the PS4 far more riskier.  Add to that the fact that Microsoft is now making significant inroards into former Sony strongholds and it's not unimaginable for Europe to fall to Microsoft next generation much the same way North America fell to them this generation.  Not even Japan is safe for Sony anymore as seen by Microsoft's relentless attempts to gain marketshare there.

5) Deep pockets may be required from here on.  Microsoft simply has far deeper pockets than Sony.  Eventually Sony may reach a point where its console games aren't selling enough to justify their cost.  This is especially true since Sony relies on their own console for game sales while Microsoft easily and cheaply spreads it games among the 360 and PC.  Without some kind of innovation miracle Sony may simply be forced out like Sega was.  Also Sony saved some money this generation by third-parties making games for the PS3 expecting it to be the dominant console.  It's unlikely many will do the same thing next generation.

Anyways I doubt Sony will leave the console wars, at least not for another generation, but I hope third-parties are able to weather the storm that can be partially blamed on Sony.

yes because god forbid, some video gaming consoles are not running Microsoft's operating system.

We need to put a stop to that now !

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Oh what a wunderfool idea!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

"Sony will have a much harder time next generation"-

Yeah, I really really doubt that. They will learn from their mistakes and they won't launch the PS4 for $600. If they launch it for $400, which they almost certainly will, it'll be Microsoft that has a much harder time next generation.

Are you kidding me? Free online, multi media device, platinum games, etc ...

Around the Network

hmm....after seeing replies NO WONDER Legend111 hasn't DARED to post again in this thread...lol

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@ The_God_of_War
it'll be Microsoft that has a much harder time next generation

Yeah, not saying M$ will launch it in 2011, and by the time Sony is releasing PS4 (if this will ever happen lol), they'll have prices at 150$ and 30M user base. Sounds possible?

THREAD = FAIL.
PS4 is destined for success. CHEAP (using PS3 parts), Sexy (like everything Sony), Powerful (Cell) , launch with gr8 games (devs will be experienced) and play blu ray (could be the new DVD by next gen).
Sony aren't going anywhere, they are still making money, and these are its darkest days. And Sony are not comparable to Sega. In terms of world power Sony as a multinational Corp is far bigger and better especially financially than Sega was to deal with tricky situation than Sega.

MrBubbles said:
NeoRatt said:
I think that Microsoft should exit, but in return Sony and Nintendo adopt the XBox 360 OS and Live.

It is really Microsoft that does not belong making hardware. Sony and Nintendo are good at it. But Microsoft has the best OS and best online experience through software.

That way, you could buy a Sony or Nintendo box, and still play Gears, Halo, Resistance, Drake, Mario and Zelda on one box where MS gets money from the Games, the OS, and Live, and Sony and Nintendo make money through games and hardware.

oh yes...i forgot how reliable the ps1 and ps2 were.....  it took them 3 tries and microsoft 1.

The 360 hardware isn't exactly know as "quality"...  RRoD anyone?...

No I'm not a PS3 fanboy...  I have 6 x 360's throughout my house and more games then I can ever finish or count for 360.  But, Microsoft is a self admitted software company and they only do hardware becuase they have to, not because they want to.

I say, one console OS, with Live available through either Sony or Nintendo consoles...  Where I can play Mario, Zelda, God of War, Resistance, Gears Halo, etc. on one box rather then 3.  For the record, I would buy the Nintendo one because Sony has ticked me off way too much.