By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - so the wii was a revolution after all

I remeber about two years ago when nintendo were going to name it revolution. everyone took for granted that it was going to fail. And then when they named it wii everyone thought for sure it would flop. almost noone so what was coming so in a way the wii was a revolution in gaming. My question is do you think nintendo would have the success they have if they had named it the nintendo revolution?

Around the Network

"Revolution" as a name is incompatible with Nintendo's revolution.
Nintendo success is based on a carefully analysis of market conditions ( Nintendo thought they were bad ) and a almost flawless execution of the plan to counter them.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

what do you mean by incompatible?

hallowedbeeddie said:

he really has no idea whatsoever. he just wants people to think he does. Look at his sig, what does any of that mean. He don't know, just thought it sounded smart.

i really hate annoying answers to legitimate questions.

I think the Wii would have been just as successful no matter what the name. If you can steal half the markershare away in two years time with a cosole named 'Wii'.......they could have named it 'Sausage Fest 06', people would have been just as confused as to the reason why?...but after they played it, it would have sold.

Sevengen said:
hallowedbeeddie said:

he really has no idea whatsoever. he just wants people to think he does. Look at his sig, what does any of that mean. He don't know, just thought it sounded smart.

i really hate annoying answers to legitimate questions.

I think the Wii would have been just as successful no matter what the name. If you can steal half the markershare away in two years time with a cosole named 'Wii'.......they could have named it 'Sausage Fest 06', people would have been just as confused as to the reason why?...but after they played it, it would have sold.

Er...no.

Celine has a legitimate point. Nintendo did not change the name by whim. And contrary to what you may have heard, a rose by any other name is not  just as sweet.

But the importance of the name may have been a tad overstated, yes.

Oh, and @hallowedbeeddie:

From what I understand, Nintendo hasn't actually abandoned the "Revolution" name. "Wii" translates into something like that in old Japanese.

Around the Network
hallowedbeeddie said:

Ahah for one moment I thought the word "incompatible" didn't exist in english ( blame my poor english ).

What I mean is that the brand-name "Revolution" isn't suited for the set of values chosen by Nintendo.

Do you really think "Revolution" is a name adapt for everyone ?

EDIT:

To be more clear I don't think that the name alone accounted for Nintendo recent success, but how they chose that name is part of the almost flawless execution of the plan that brought the success. 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Sevengen said:
hallowedbeeddie said:

It's not my problem if you can't understand my firm. Maybe it means nothing at all or maybe not

Its amazing, the name wii sells anything, Im sure if you would put WII on a piece of $hit, and sell it for 20 dollars, it would sell like crazy, heck even 50.

Look at wii music, a horrible game, and its geting near breaking 1 million, heck PETZ HORSES or something is about to break 6million?? Its just unbelieveble, last gen GOOD GAMES would sell, this gen THEY DONT, and guess what anything that says wii sells.

Nintendo have exploded this gen, and have attracted a huge audience, and despite the wii not have that amazing online service, breathtaking visuals, or the AAA GAMES, it sells.

mM
leo-j said:
Its amazing, the name wii sells anything, Im sure if you would put WII on a piece of $hit, and sell it for 20 dollars, it would sell like crazy, heck even 50.

Look at wii music, a horrible game, and its geting near breaking 1 million, heck PETZ HORSES or something is about to break 6million?? Its just unbelieveble, last gen GOOD GAMES would sell, this gen THEY DONT, and guess what anything that says wii sells.

Nintendo have exploded this gen, and have attracted a huge audience, and despite the wii not have that amazing online service, breathtaking visuals, or the AAA GAMES, it sells.

That's because amazing online service and breathtaking visuals never were important in the first place. Never.

Amount of fun is what makes or breaks a console. The Wii, in this respect, is a much better console than either the PS3 or the 360. That's why it's kicking their asses. And rightly so.

celine said:
hallowedbeeddie said:

Ahah for one moment I thought the word "incompatible" didn't exist in english ( blame my poor english ).

What I mean is that the brand-name "Revolution" isn't suited for the set of values chosen by Nintendo.

Do you really think "Revolution" is a name adapt for everyone ?

EDIT:

To be more clear I don't think that the name alone accounted for Nintendo recent success, but how they chose that name is part of the almost flawless execution of the plan that brought the success. 

I think the name probably did contribute to the success, if only a small part.

First of all Wii is easy to say and remember; the casuals who have been brought in, might have had a harder time remembering what it was that impressed them so much if the name had been more complicated.

Second, because "wii" is an invented word, it can be used globally, making it easier for people in different countries discussing it over the internet to know what each other are talking about. (again, I mean casuals; obviously serious gamers would know what a console is called in the language of the forum they are participating in)

Third, even though "wii" is an invented word, the sound corresponds to many interesting and appropriate words in various languages. The two I know best are "we" in english and "oui" in french, though I understand there are others.