By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people still use "The Ten Year Plan" excuse?

bigjon said:
better than the 4 year plan the last MS console followed...

Seece better get all of your sony hate out now while the 360 is doing good... might not be able to in a while...

I don't hate Sony don't be so ridiculous, I just think Microsoft have tried much harder than Sony this gen, Nintendo have innovated and expanded the market and Sony have just been ignorant up until now.

Also I don't see any "Hate" in my opening post?!

Around the Network
numonex said:
PS3 will be lucky to survive for 7 years let alone 10 years. PS3 slow console sales and getting killed by the Wii60 is destroying the moral of Sony fans worldwide.
Sony has invested a lot of money into Blu-Ray on the PS3 and it has backfired so far. PS3 is still making an average loss of around $100 per PS3 sold. PS3 consoles were initially sold for a much higher per console sold in the first year of the PS3.
DVDs are continuing to heavily outsell Blu-Rays.
5 years on from now Blu-Ray will be superseded with better technology and the online distribution is a much cheaper alternative than an expensive disc storage device.

First, Blu-ray didn't backfire on Sony, the drive costs around $50-70 now while a DVD drive costs around $5, so that means, DVD can't go down further, and it doesn't need it, but Blu-ray, like any other technology - that includes DVD too - can go down to $10-20 price range. The numbers I have are taken from iSuppli.

As for your bold claim about how Sony loses $100 now, can you provide a link? Because PS3 already costs less than $400 from what I know, but the reason I think it doesn't make money to Sony is because the whole packaging, shipment, retailer's money...etc. I am not sure about this one though.

Zones said:
numonex said:
PS3 will be lucky to survive for 7 years let alone 10 years. PS3 slow console sales and getting killed by the Wii60 is destroying the moral of Sony fans worldwide.
Sony has invested a lot of money into Blu-Ray on the PS3 and it has backfired so far. PS3 is still making an average loss of around $100 per PS3 sold. PS3 consoles were initially sold for a much higher per console sold in the first year of the PS3.
DVDs are continuing to heavily outsell Blu-Rays.
5 years on from now Blu-Ray will be superseded with better technology and the online distribution is a much cheaper alternative than an expensive disc storage device.

First, Blu-ray didn't backfire on Sony, the drive costs around $50-70 now while a DVD drive costs around $5, so that means, DVD can't go down further, and it doesn't need it, but Blu-ray, like any other technology - that includes DVD too - can go down to $10-20 price range. The numbers I have are taken from iSuppli.

As for your bold claim about how Sony loses $100 now, can you provide a link? Because PS3 already costs less than $400 from what I know, but the reason I think it doesn't make money to Sony is because the whole packaging, shipment, retailer's money...etc. I am not sure about this one though.

no sony said they felt they could break even at 400 in january, so while they may not be eating a 100 dollar loss, they are not even or making money yet, and the breaking even stuff was before the collapse of the euro, which was very important to sony 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

This is the excuse of last resort. That is as simple as it gets. Those using it are not necessarily stupid they are just desperately searching for even a glimmer of hope in a world quickly fading to black. This is basically a delaying tactic. Either they hope that some mythical hero may arise to save the day, or in some cases they literally believe that Sony can rope a dope the competition. All Sony has to do is let the competition beat on them until they tire themselves out. In the mean time by placing the end date at a mythical future time you never have to concede defeat.

Basically when you see a poster talking about the ten year plan they are conflicted. In their heads they know its over your not going to win a console war three or four years gone in the clearance rack at Odd Lots. Though their pride, and their ever present delusion will never allow them to own up to what happened. I honestly think that a lot of Sony supporters do not understand how to concede a point. After all they have never had to do that. When you always bet on the winner its hard to accept that they finally lost its heart breaking I suppose.

Basically you cannot argue the logic with them, because there is no logic to argue. For those who say it this is an article of faith. That means its resolved in the heart. Nothing you can say is relevant to them. In much the same way people will cling to a religion even after its proven to be false through documented facts, and more so tangible results. Try it some time their logic is flawlessly disjointed. They are well beyond extrapolation.

Oh, again, breaking even for Sony is not what the system cost, it's how much money that gets into Sony's hand. The system, the PlayStation 3 system can very well cost $350 to make and yet, loses alot on each system sold, because from what I know, when Sony said breaking even, they meant breaking even on what they get, not the cost of the system.

The retailer alone absorb lots of money, so how much the system costs to make is not the same as the price that each system getting sold.

Around the Network

Ten Year Plan. Should read: "Ten Year PS3 Dream". If PS3 was the leading console than that would be reality considering its predecessors PSX sold for 11 years and the PS2 almost 9 years old and still selling stronger than ever.

Dodece said:
This is the excuse of last resort. That is as simple as it gets. Those using it are not necessarily stupid they are just desperately searching for even a glimmer of hope in a world quickly fading to black. This is basically a delaying tactic. Either they hope that some mythical hero may arise to save the day, or in some cases they literally believe that Sony can rope a dope the competition. All Sony has to do is let the competition beat on them until they tire themselves out. In the mean time by placing the end date at a mythical future time you never have to concede defeat.

Basically when you see a poster talking about the ten year plan they are conflicted. In their heads they know its over your not going to win a console war three or four years gone in the clearance rack at Odd Lots. Though their pride, and their ever present delusion will never allow them to own up to what happened. I honestly think that a lot of Sony supporters do not understand how to concede a point. After all they have never had to do that. When you always bet on the winner its hard to accept that they finally lost its heart breaking I suppose.

Basically you cannot argue the logic with them, because there is no logic to argue. For those who say it this is an article of faith. That means its resolved in the heart. Nothing you can say is relevant to them. In much the same way people will cling to a religion even after its proven to be false through documented facts, and more so tangible results. Try it some time their logic is flawlessly disjointed. They are well beyond extrapolation.

Great post!

Just wait for God Of War III.

seece said:
Dodece said:

Great post!

I was actually thinking the post was full of crap. Imagine that.

Max King of the Wild said:
seece said:
Dodece said:

Great post!

I was actually thinking the post was full of crap. Imagine that.

Of course you would, you're the kind of person he is talking about.