By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people still use "The Ten Year Plan" excuse?

But Microsoft and Nintendo do too .. They are no different

Exactly, so what is your point? In contrast to last gen when XBOX and Gamecube only had 20m sales in total all three consoles will have reached this soon this gen. So it is unlikely that we will have a short life of one of them like the original XBOX had. I think it's fair to say that the PS3 will have some advantages in the second half of its lifecycle. Third-party support will not get smaller since the HD consoles are now in effect one market and its simply the best if most expensive hardware. Doesn't mean that will it "win". This train has left the station.

Around the Network
seece said:
Max King of the Wild said:
seece said:
Dodece said:
This is the excuse of last resort. That is as simple as it gets. Those using it are not necessarily stupid they are just desperately searching for even a glimmer of hope in a world quickly fading to black. This is basically a delaying tactic. Either they hope that some mythical hero may arise to save the day, or in some cases they literally believe that Sony can rope a dope the competition. All Sony has to do is let the competition beat on them until they tire themselves out. In the mean time by placing the end date at a mythical future time you never have to concede defeat.

Basically when you see a poster talking about the ten year plan they are conflicted. In their heads they know its over your not going to win a console war three or four years gone in the clearance rack at Odd Lots. Though their pride, and their ever present delusion will never allow them to own up to what happened. I honestly think that a lot of Sony supporters do not understand how to concede a point. After all they have never had to do that. When you always bet on the winner its hard to accept that they finally lost its heart breaking I suppose.

Basically you cannot argue the logic with them, because there is no logic to argue. For those who say it this is an article of faith. That means its resolved in the heart. Nothing you can say is relevant to them. In much the same way people will cling to a religion even after its proven to be false through documented facts, and more so tangible results. Try it some time their logic is flawlessly disjointed. They are well beyond extrapolation.

Great post!

I was actually thinking the post was full of crap. Imagine that.

Of course you would, you're the kind of person he is talking about.

No, I was actually thinking "what psychology degree does this guy have to tell us the way we are thinking... oh probablly none that probablly means this posat is full of crap"

Personally I buy the 10 year plan, so far sony has done about that... Also, the PS3's power has not yet been tapped... It has plenty of life in it.

Now, what I think IS lame is the constant "this game is the savior bs"

There is a rap sheet of like 10 games that were supposed to solve all of the PS3's problems... I think the next "savior" is Killzone 2, then GT5...

I can think of like Lair, Ratchet, Heavenly Blade, GTPrologue, DMC, GTA4, Res 2, LBP, Uncharted, yazuka 3, mgs4, and i am sure there were others. Some of those were just Japan saviors btw (yazuka, and dmc)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
Personally I buy the 10 year plan, so far sony has done about that... Also, the PS3's power has not yet been tapped... It has plenty of life in it.

Now, what I think IS lame is the constant "this game is the savior bs"

There is a rap sheet of like 10 games that were supposed to solve all of the PS3's problems... I think the next "savior" is Killzone 2, then GT5...

I can think of like Lair, Ratchet, Heavenly Blade, GTPrologue, DMC, GTA4, Res 2, LBP, Uncharted, yazuka 3, mgs4, and i am sure there were others. Some of those were just Japan saviors btw (yazuka, and dmc)

I don't think Ratchet ever was. (Heavenly Sword not blade). GT5:P in Japan and europe not US. (was gonna say something bout DMC but I just read the end of the pos) and GTA4 was suppose to be the Ps3 and 360's weapon to kill the Wii... remember?

On topic - dude, the ps3 hasn't even made a redesign yet. Something SONY loves to do. (PSX, Ps2slim, PsP2000 ring any bells) Expect SONY to support it long after it gets a redesign (in it's third year)

Because PS3 has a blu ray player inside of it.

Around the Network

yea, but the really hardcore PS3 fanboys (leo-j, crazzy man, griffon...) used the logic that GTA was a traditionally Sony franchise, so therefor it would benefit the PS3 much more... Also yes, GTA PS360 was supposed to kill the Wii... Then... Wiifit happened.

oh ya, and Ratchet was claimed to, it was supposed to start the migration of the casuals to the PS3 (kinda like people thought LBP would)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

I'm pretty sure that Sony's plan -- whatever it was -- was to outsell the Wii in years 1 & 2, not be a distant 3rd and losing ground to both of its competitors.

So...

The real point is, Sony's off their original plan and have been for a long time. It doesn't matter whether the PS3 is technically "on the market" for 8, 9, 10 years, or whatever. I mean, if they decide that they might have a better shot at getting their game back by releasing the PS4 sooner than later -- if they think they'll make more money that way -- then they'll do it in a heartbeat.

PS3 isn't future proof, you see even as it may be more technologically advanced, it has massive sunk costs that Sony will never recoup, on the other hand Nintendo in 5-6 years can release the Uss, at a proce around that of the Wii right now, and still have nearly the same power or even more than the ps3 has, and continue to dominate the market, without incurring the costs that Sony has. Sony will release the PS4 in a few years, 2-3 years tops, and at that point the PS3 will start dying

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
PS3 isn't future proof, you see even as it may be more technologically advanced, it has massive sunk costs that Sony will never recoup, on the other hand Nintendo in 5-6 years can release the Uss, at a proce around that of the Wii right now, and still have nearly the same power or even more than the ps3 has, and continue to dominate the market, without incurring the costs that Sony has. Sony will release the PS4 in a few years, 2-3 years tops, and at that point the PS3 will start dying

doubtful. This gen the third place console will outsell last gens 2nd place console next year... A little longer than half the time it took the xbox to sell 24 million... why end it so early?

The PS3/Xbox 360/Wii will last as long as software is still being made for it, and people are still buying it. Theres no reason really that the PS3 will last longer than the Xbox 360, they are so intertwined in terms of software releases from third parties anyway.

Tease.