By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts Next Media Format?

Comrade Tovya said:
SMcc1887 said:
Any idea how much M$ would have to pay Sony for Blu Ray? Ive heard that Sony owns around 30% of blu ray and if blu ray becomes the new dvd, M$ will use it.

I really, really doubt that Nintendo or MS will use Blu-ray... it's just not either one of their styles to do something like that (especially Nintendo, they always buck the media-format grain anyway).

But if especially M$ didnt use blu ray, and it was the format that all new movies were released on then wouldnt that have huge implications on console sales. For example if there is a cheap powerful PS4 that can play blu ray movies and an Xbox 720 thats more expensive, with the same power as the PS4 and cant play movies(blu ray) then your gona choose the PS4...rite?

Around the Network
goddog said:
Comrade Tovya said:
goddog said:
there has been work on a standard dvd that holds 20 gig one side. but i expect downloads/ suplemented by dvd/blueray but only if blueray catches on by 2011

also when did the dvd player in the 360 start sucking i was unaware of this after watching hundreds of movies.

I think it plays movies movies very poorly when compared to every other regular DVD player, upconverting DVD player, HD DVD player, or Blu-ray player that I own or have watched movies on.... too fuzzy for me to enjoy.

Ive never had a problem with fuzzyness. and have used all those except ps3 to play... mine out puts quite sharp on all three tvs i use  sony 42 inch hd, aquas 60, and philips 47. 

though im a trained graphic designer, i have a concetration in media arts, and know quite a bit about video quality and have the eye for it. so either you have a defective unit, there are multiple hardware suppliers for the upscale converter some better then others for the 360, or your full of it

the best quality i got for dvds was computer out put through a quicktime codec upscaling to 720p (old computer could not push 1080p in realtime)

No need to get snippy about it really.  Your first guess is more likely right, my first XBOX 360 that was used for movies was an early model release, so maybe they produced poorer quality?  I don't know...

Either way, my best player Blu-ray player is my PS3 and my best upconverter is my Toshiba A-30.  I don't care for my 360 to be used as a DVD player because it just doesn't work as well as my other dozen players in the house.  Anyway, that's another debate for another thread.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Comrade Tovya said:

Garnett and I have have been talking about an interesting subject matter in another thread...

So I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks right now.  Of course, the opinions are subject to change, because it's too early to know yet...

But none-the-less, if you had to make a prediction today, what do you think Microsoft will choose for their next media format for the next XBOX? 

The only thing I am almost sure about, is that standard DVDs are not big enough, and it's unlikely that MS or Nintendo would choose to help line Sony's coffers by using Blu-ray (though it is not out of the realm of possibilities or course).

If it were me, I would probably chose HD DVD as the physical format because Toshiba abandoned it, and of course MS is/was part of the HD DVD Consortium and therefore it is partially theirs anyway.  Hence, the royalties would be almost nothing to pay out, the disc space is comparable to Blu-ray, and the technology is cheaper and easier to produce discs on than Blu-ray.  Plus, there are literally hundreds of thousands of HD DVD drives out there that MS could buy for pennies on the dollar, making the console still relatively cheap.

Plus, as this generation has well shown, people don't really care if their consoles play movies... the Wii doesn't and it's the #1 console on the market by far, the XBOX 360 only play standard DVDs and it sucks at doing that, and the PS3 plays Blu-rays and upconverts beautifully, but it's in far, far last place.

It's my opinion also that MS should offer a full new-release game download service like Sony does with the PSN and then also offer (if they could work it out with the 3rd party guys) a streaming game subscription service... it would be pricey, but for people like me who buy 20-30 game titles a year, it would be cost effective.  And for those who only buy 2-3 titles a year, they could just buy a physical disc or download it to their HDD.

Just my idea of course (and is subject to change).  What kind of ideas do you guys have?

Yeah thats been my opinion too. Microsoft can use HD-DVD if they want. Thres nothing to stop them and it is a really good technology and will address the lack of disk space on DVD- 9. They own the Technology so they should use it

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

They will use a BR/HD-DVD combo drive. It will play BR movies but software will come on HD-DVD to minimise piracy. I think it will also have at least 500gb HDD space, poss even 750gb-1tb.

Tremble said:
"Actually, I considered that too... why not just piggy-back the format, change the name to something else (which Toshiba would probablly agree to anyway) and modify it just a hair?" That would be a nice move ... Maybe XDvd or something ...

Sure that would work.  Like I said, it's a rough guess to make right now, because we are still years from the new consoles releasal, but as we all know, MS said they started working on the next XBOX the day after the release of the 360 three years ago, so I would have to assume that they have already either decided or at least have put a good deal of thought into it already.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network
SMcc1887 said:
Comrade Tovya said:
SMcc1887 said:
Any idea how much M$ would have to pay Sony for Blu Ray? Ive heard that Sony owns around 30% of blu ray and if blu ray becomes the new dvd, M$ will use it.

I really, really doubt that Nintendo or MS will use Blu-ray... it's just not either one of their styles to do something like that (especially Nintendo, they always buck the media-format grain anyway).

But if especially M$ didnt use blu ray, and it was the format that all new movies were released on then wouldnt that have huge implications on console sales. For example if there is a cheap powerful PS4 that can play blu ray movies and an Xbox 720 thats more expensive, with the same power as the PS4 and cant play movies(blu ray) then your gona choose the PS4...rite?

Absolutely, but that is making the assumption that the next XBOX will be more expensive than the next PlayStation.  I think all three console companies will go the cheap route next gen if at all possible.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Comrade Tovya said:
goddog said:
Comrade Tovya said:
goddog said:
there has been work on a standard dvd that holds 20 gig one side. but i expect downloads/ suplemented by dvd/blueray but only if blueray catches on by 2011

also when did the dvd player in the 360 start sucking i was unaware of this after watching hundreds of movies.

I think it plays movies movies very poorly when compared to every other regular DVD player, upconverting DVD player, HD DVD player, or Blu-ray player that I own or have watched movies on.... too fuzzy for me to enjoy.

Ive never had a problem with fuzzyness. and have used all those except ps3 to play... mine out puts quite sharp on all three tvs i use  sony 42 inch hd, aquas 60, and philips 47. 

though im a trained graphic designer, i have a concetration in media arts, and know quite a bit about video quality and have the eye for it. so either you have a defective unit, there are multiple hardware suppliers for the upscale converter some better then others for the 360, or your full of it

the best quality i got for dvds was computer out put through a quicktime codec upscaling to 720p (old computer could not push 1080p in realtime)

No need to get snippy about it really.  Your first guess is more likely right, my first XBOX 360 that was used for movies was an early model release, so maybe they produced poorer quality?  I don't know...

Either way, my best player Blu-ray player is my PS3 and my best upconverter is my Toshiba A-30.  I don't care for my 360 to be used as a DVD player because it just doesn't work as well as my other dozen players in the house.  Anyway, that's another debate for another thread.

not ment to be snippy i added it simply because some users are full of it... also it gave me a third option, always been taught o have 3.

my box is a first year unit.... one rrod on it  (when i went for sd to hd had a 76 error aka gpu unseating) fixed, new MB since january dont know if its a revised or repaired MB but it is different with its new mac addy and all 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

1337 Gamer said:
Comrade Tovya said:

Garnett and I have have been talking about an interesting subject matter in another thread...

So I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks right now.  Of course, the opinions are subject to change, because it's too early to know yet...

But none-the-less, if you had to make a prediction today, what do you think Microsoft will choose for their next media format for the next XBOX? 

The only thing I am almost sure about, is that standard DVDs are not big enough, and it's unlikely that MS or Nintendo would choose to help line Sony's coffers by using Blu-ray (though it is not out of the realm of possibilities or course).

If it were me, I would probably chose HD DVD as the physical format because Toshiba abandoned it, and of course MS is/was part of the HD DVD Consortium and therefore it is partially theirs anyway.  Hence, the royalties would be almost nothing to pay out, the disc space is comparable to Blu-ray, and the technology is cheaper and easier to produce discs on than Blu-ray.  Plus, there are literally hundreds of thousands of HD DVD drives out there that MS could buy for pennies on the dollar, making the console still relatively cheap.

Plus, as this generation has well shown, people don't really care if their consoles play movies... the Wii doesn't and it's the #1 console on the market by far, the XBOX 360 only play standard DVDs and it sucks at doing that, and the PS3 plays Blu-rays and upconverts beautifully, but it's in far, far last place.

It's my opinion also that MS should offer a full new-release game download service like Sony does with the PSN and then also offer (if they could work it out with the 3rd party guys) a streaming game subscription service... it would be pricey, but for people like me who buy 20-30 game titles a year, it would be cost effective.  And for those who only buy 2-3 titles a year, they could just buy a physical disc or download it to their HDD.

Just my idea of course (and is subject to change).  What kind of ideas do you guys have?

Yeah thats been my opinion too. Microsoft can use HD-DVD if they want. Thres nothing to stop them and it is a really good technology and will address the lack of disk space on DVD- 9. They own the Technology so they should use it

I think so too... just change the name of the format to shed the "loser" tag that the name HD DVD has.. maybe HD MD (High-def Media Disc).  Then again, maybe something better & cheaper is here before that time arrives..

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Mistershine said:
They will use a BR/HD-DVD combo drive. It will play BR movies but software will come on HD-DVD to minimise piracy. I think it will also have at least 500gb HDD space, poss even 750gb-1tb.

That's also a possibility that I didn't think about.. I just wonder if that would be cost effective having both?  The only thing I am absolutely sure about in the next generation is that everyone is going to take a que from Nintendo and not pack their console full of state-of-the-art & expensive technology.  I think everyone will tone down the tech race next gen and go for cheap innovation over the latest-greatest fads.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

goddog said:
Comrade Tovya said:
goddog said:
Comrade Tovya said:
goddog said:

not ment to be snippy i added it simply because some users are full of it... also it gave me a third option, always been taught o have 3.

my box is a first year unit.... one rrod on it  (when i went for sd to hd had a 76 error aka gpu unseating) fixed, new MB since january dont know if its a revised or repaired MB but it is different with its new mac addy and all 

Yeah, I just got a brand new (not a refurb) from MS with an Aug 08 manufacturer date.. it also has the new DVD-drive in it, so it might actually play them better (I'll test it here in a few minutes and tell you)

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya