By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts Next Media Format?

SMcc1887 said:
Any idea how much M$ would have to pay Sony for Blu Ray? Ive heard that Sony owns around 30% of blu ray and if blu ray becomes the new dvd, M$ will use it.

I really, really doubt that Nintendo or MS will use Blu-ray... it's just not either one of their styles to do something like that (especially Nintendo, they always buck the media-format grain anyway).

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network

Yeah but using the HD DVD for their next console would give it a "loser image" if you know what I mean ... Using a format that lost a war isn't good for the image IMO. (OT: I'm finally a vgchartz regular !!!)

Shadowblind said:

If Blu-Ray isn't dead by gens end, that'll probably be it. Sony doesn't own Blu-Ray.

Sony spearheaded the Blu Ray disc association and are basically the head of the organisation. Ive heard that they own roughly 30% of it

Tremble said:
Yeah but using the HD DVD for their next console would give it a "loser image" if you know what I mean ... Using a format that lost a war isn't good for the image IMO. (OT: I'm finally a vgchartz regular !!!)

Actually, I considered that too... why not just piggy-back the format, change the name to something else (which Toshiba would probablly agree to anyway) and modify it just a hair?

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

I don't think nintendo will use blu ray for their next console too. A simple DVD could be more than enough!

Around the Network

Comrade Tovya said:

If it were me, I would probably chose HD DVD as the physical format because Toshiba abandoned it, and of course MS is/was part of the HD DVD Consortium and therefore it is partially theirs anyway. Hence, the royalties would be almost nothing to pay out, the disc space is comparable to Blu-ray, and the technology is cheaper and easier to produce discs on than Blu-ray. Plus, there are literally hundreds of thousands of HD DVD drives out there that MS could buy for pennies on the dollar, making the console still relatively cheap.

Of course they could use HD DVD, but I'm not sure that this technology will be cheaper and easier (than BR) to produce in 2 or 3 years...

If they don't use HD DVD, maybe they could use some Flash format as SD, miniSD....

Comrade Tovya said:
goddog said:
there has been work on a standard dvd that holds 20 gig one side. but i expect downloads/ suplemented by dvd/blueray but only if blueray catches on by 2011

also when did the dvd player in the 360 start sucking i was unaware of this after watching hundreds of movies.

I think it plays movies movies very poorly when compared to every other regular DVD player, upconverting DVD player, HD DVD player, or Blu-ray player that I own or have watched movies on.... too fuzzy for me to enjoy.

Ive never had a problem with fuzzyness. and have used all those except ps3 to play... mine out puts quite sharp on all three tvs i use  sony 42 inch hd, aquas 60, and philips 47. 

though im a trained graphic designer, i have a concetration in media arts, and know quite a bit about video quality and have the eye for it. so either you have a defective unit, there are multiple hardware suppliers for the upscale converter some better then others for the 360, or your full of it. 

the best quality i got for dvds was computer out put through a quicktime codec upscaling to 720p (old computer could not push 1080p in realtime)

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

fabinou said:

Comrade Tovya said:

If it were me, I would probably chose HD DVD as the physical format because Toshiba abandoned it, and of course MS is/was part of the HD DVD Consortium and therefore it is partially theirs anyway. Hence, the royalties would be almost nothing to pay out, the disc space is comparable to Blu-ray, and the technology is cheaper and easier to produce discs on than Blu-ray. Plus, there are literally hundreds of thousands of HD DVD drives out there that MS could buy for pennies on the dollar, making the console still relatively cheap.

Of course they could use HD DVD, but I'm not sure that this technology will be cheaper and easier (than BR) to produce in 2 or 3 years...

If they don't use HD DVD, maybe they could use some Flash format as SD, miniSD....

Right, that was one of my other thoughts.  If I'm not mistaken, flash-memory per gig is around .50 in production costs right now for standard speed.  I can only imagine it will get cheaper later.  Plus without a drive to physically spin, it would be less prone to breakdowns.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Or they could use CH-DVD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH-DVD

"Actually, I considered that too... why not just piggy-back the format, change the name to something else (which Toshiba would probablly agree to anyway) and modify it just a hair?" That would be a nice move ... Maybe XDvd or something ...