By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts Next Media Format?

Garnett and I have have been talking about an interesting subject matter in another thread...

So I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks right now.  Of course, the opinions are subject to change, because it's too early to know yet...

But none-the-less, if you had to make a prediction today, what do you think Microsoft will choose for their next media format for the next XBOX? 

The only thing I am almost sure about, is that standard DVDs are not big enough, and it's unlikely that MS or Nintendo would choose to help line Sony's coffers by using Blu-ray (though it is not out of the realm of possibilities or course).

If it were me, I would probably chose HD DVD as the physical format because Toshiba abandoned it, and of course MS is/was part of the HD DVD Consortium and therefore it is partially theirs anyway.  Hence, the royalties would be almost nothing to pay out, the disc space is comparable to Blu-ray, and the technology is cheaper and easier to produce discs on than Blu-ray.  Plus, there are literally hundreds of thousands of HD DVD drives out there that MS could buy for pennies on the dollar, making the console still relatively cheap.

Plus, as this generation has well shown, people don't really care if their consoles play movies... the Wii doesn't and it's the #1 console on the market by far, the XBOX 360 only play standard DVDs and it sucks at doing that, and the PS3 plays Blu-rays and upconverts beautifully, but it's in far, far last place.

It's my opinion also that MS should offer a full new-release game download service like Sony does with the PSN and then also offer (if they could work it out with the 3rd party guys) a streaming game subscription service... it would be pricey, but for people like me who buy 20-30 game titles a year, it would be cost effective.  And for those who only buy 2-3 titles a year, they could just buy a physical disc or download it to their HDD.

Just my idea of course (and is subject to change).  What kind of ideas do you guys have?

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network

i guess theyll go digital only or will do it like steam on computer

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

If Blu-Ray isn't dead by gens end, that'll probably be it. Sony doesn't own Blu-Ray.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

I guess they'll do their best to promote their download service, but I don't think the next xbox will go full DL. I think we all agree that a simple DVD player won't be enough so I'll go for a blu-ray player: it won't be expensive in 3/4 years and people will be able to use their console to watch movies (I think it's important if you play in your bedroom or if you're a student).

there has been work on a standard dvd that holds 20 gig one side. but i expect downloads/ suplemented by dvd/blueray but only if blueray catches on by 2011

also when did the dvd player in the 360 start sucking i was unaware of this after watching hundreds of movies.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
Tremble said:
I guess they'll do their best to promote their download service, but I don't think the next xbox will go full DL. I think we all agree that a simple DVD player won't be enough so I'll go for a blu-ray player: it won't be expensive in 3/4 years and people will be able to use their console to watch movies (I think it's important if you play in your bedroom or if you're a student).

I don't know really.  I just think that theory that a gaming console needs to play disc-based movies is dead.  The PS3 is the only one that really does it this gen (the XBOX sucks at it, so I don't even count it's fuzzy 480i DVD playing skills).  And people just don't really seem to care.  Everyone already has DVD players (you can get one at Wal-mart for $30 if you don't) and by the time this gen is over, Blu-ray players will probably be $100.00 on the low end.. so it just won't be neccesary.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

I'm all for going the way of downloadable games, but I like a game collection in a physical form. I think the scenario of CDs/MP3's is different. People want their music on the go and its easier.

People often choose to download movies too but then too most people, they watch it once then don't go back to it so its easier to download.

Most gamers appreciate games more than people appreciate music/films and I wouldn't like to see places liek GAME close down, thats a lot of jobs lost isn't it?

As for using HD DVD drives, its not a bad idea. I mean if it picked up enough steam and blu ray doesn't take off it could be revived.

Any idea how much M$ would have to pay Sony for Blu Ray? Ive heard that Sony owns around 30% of blu ray and if blu ray becomes the new dvd, M$ will use it.

goddog said:
there has been work on a standard dvd that holds 20 gig one side. but i expect downloads/ suplemented by dvd/blueray but only if blueray catches on by 2011

also when did the dvd player in the 360 start sucking i was unaware of this after watching hundreds of movies.

I think it plays movies movies very poorly when compared to every other regular DVD player, upconverting DVD player, HD DVD player, or Blu-ray player that I own or have watched movies on.... too fuzzy for me to enjoy.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

seece said:
I'm all for going the way of downloadable games, but I like a game collection in a physical form. I think the scenario of CDs/MP3's is different. People want their music on the go and its easier.

People often choose to download movies too but then too most people, they watch it once then don't go back to it so its easier to download.

Most gamers appreciate games more than people appreciate music/films and I wouldn't like to see places liek GAME close down, thats a lot of jobs lost isn't it?

As for using HD DVD drives, its not a bad idea. I mean if it picked up enough steam and blu ray doesn't take off it could be revived. < Thats a long shot but I still believe HD DVD would have won if M$ put it in the 360 from the start, that would have been a silly move looking back though.

No, I don't mean reviving HD DVD as a movie standard, that battle is well over.  I mean simply using HD DVD as a file storage media alone.  It's way cheaper to press the discs, and the royalties are slim-to-none now thanks to Toshiba throwing in the towel...

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya