By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts Next Media Format?

Comrade Tovya said:
Mistershine said:
They will use a BR/HD-DVD combo drive. It will play BR movies but software will come on HD-DVD to minimise piracy. I think it will also have at least 500gb HDD space, poss even 750gb-1tb.

That's also a possibility that I didn't think about.. I just wonder if that would be cost effective having both?  The only thing I am absolutely sure about in the next generation is that everyone is going to take a que from Nintendo and not pack their console full of state-of-the-art & expensive technology.  I think everyone will tone down the tech race next gen and go for cheap innovation over the latest-greatest fads.

The money MS would save by not having to pay BR license fees on the 100s of millions of games sold over lifetime of the console would more than pay for the use of a defunct HD-DVD format.

Around the Network

Blu Ray will be the media format for the next Xbox in my opinion. If it isn't then wow that will be quite sad. I honestly cannot see HD DVD being brought back into an Xbox console after they failed to fully support the format on the 360 to begin with.

It would make sense for MS to use BR discs as it would obviously increase the capacity but also add a bullet point to their system and say that they can play BR movies just like the Playstation.

Digital downloads are too far away.  Even with the popularity of XBL its surprising that the most downloaded game is Aegis with 1.3 million and this is a free game to boot.  Seems like the masses aren't interested or aware of digital downloads.

Comrade Tovya said:
1337 Gamer said:
Comrade Tovya said:

Garnett and I have have been talking about an interesting subject matter in another thread...

So I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks right now.  Of course, the opinions are subject to change, because it's too early to know yet...

But none-the-less, if you had to make a prediction today, what do you think Microsoft will choose for their next media format for the next XBOX? 

The only thing I am almost sure about, is that standard DVDs are not big enough, and it's unlikely that MS or Nintendo would choose to help line Sony's coffers by using Blu-ray (though it is not out of the realm of possibilities or course).

If it were me, I would probably chose HD DVD as the physical format because Toshiba abandoned it, and of course MS is/was part of the HD DVD Consortium and therefore it is partially theirs anyway.  Hence, the royalties would be almost nothing to pay out, the disc space is comparable to Blu-ray, and the technology is cheaper and easier to produce discs on than Blu-ray.  Plus, there are literally hundreds of thousands of HD DVD drives out there that MS could buy for pennies on the dollar, making the console still relatively cheap.

Plus, as this generation has well shown, people don't really care if their consoles play movies... the Wii doesn't and it's the #1 console on the market by far, the XBOX 360 only play standard DVDs and it sucks at doing that, and the PS3 plays Blu-rays and upconverts beautifully, but it's in far, far last place.

It's my opinion also that MS should offer a full new-release game download service like Sony does with the PSN and then also offer (if they could work it out with the 3rd party guys) a streaming game subscription service... it would be pricey, but for people like me who buy 20-30 game titles a year, it would be cost effective.  And for those who only buy 2-3 titles a year, they could just buy a physical disc or download it to their HDD.

Just my idea of course (and is subject to change).  What kind of ideas do you guys have?

Yeah thats been my opinion too. Microsoft can use HD-DVD if they want. Thres nothing to stop them and it is a really good technology and will address the lack of disk space on DVD- 9. They own the Technology so they should use it

I think so too... just change the name of the format to shed the "loser" tag that the name HD DVD has.. maybe HD MD (High-def Media Disc).  Then again, maybe something better & cheaper is here before that time arrives..

Yeah but why does it necessarily have to be able to play Movies in BR. I mean much like BR, HD-DVD has multiple layers. If i remember correctly they had a triple layer HD-DVD with 51 GB a couple years ago and i imagine that they can add alot more layers. So why not use HD-DVD for the games and expand their current NETFLIX service for playing Movies.

I mean because adopting the latest and greatest Movie player always assures victory ;)

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Mistershine said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Mistershine said:
They will use a BR/HD-DVD combo drive. It will play BR movies but software will come on HD-DVD to minimise piracy. I think it will also have at least 500gb HDD space, poss even 750gb-1tb.

That's also a possibility that I didn't think about.. I just wonder if that would be cost effective having both?  The only thing I am absolutely sure about in the next generation is that everyone is going to take a que from Nintendo and not pack their console full of state-of-the-art & expensive technology.  I think everyone will tone down the tech race next gen and go for cheap innovation over the latest-greatest fads.

The money MS would save by not having to pay BR license fees on the 100s of millions of games sold over lifetime of the console would more than pay for the use of a defunct HD-DVD format.

Definitely.  That's why I think using the HD DVD discs is such a great option.  I just meant I don't know that they would need to or decide to allow Blu-ray movies to play as well because it would just add extra cost to the console.  And as we all well know, next generation all the console manufacturers will keep their consoles cheaper (as the Nintendo Wii & XBOX arcade success has shown each of us).

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network
rhisc said:

It would make sense for MS to use BR discs as it would obviously increase the capacity but also add a bullet point to their system and say that they can play BR movies just like the Playstation.

Digital downloads are too far away.  Even with the popularity of XBL its surprising that the most downloaded game is Aegis with 1.3 million and this is a free game to boot.  Seems like the masses aren't interested or aware of digital downloads.

Right, but I don't think that people care about a console that can play Blu-ray movies... it obviously hasn't helped, and has actually hurt the last place Sony PS3.

People want cheap, and the Blu-ray option is just keeping an otherwise great console too expensive for Sony to sell more PS3s.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

1337 Gamer said:
Comrade Tovya said:
1337 Gamer said:
Comrade Tovya said:

Garnett and I have have been talking about an interesting subject matter in another thread...

So I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks right now.  Of course, the opinions are subject to change, because it's too early to know yet...

But none-the-less, if you had to make a prediction today, what do you think Microsoft will choose for their next media format for the next XBOX? 

The only thing I am almost sure about, is that standard DVDs are not big enough, and it's unlikely that MS or Nintendo would choose to help line Sony's coffers by using Blu-ray (though it is not out of the realm of possibilities or course).

If it were me, I would probably chose HD DVD as the physical format because Toshiba abandoned it, and of course MS is/was part of the HD DVD Consortium and therefore it is partially theirs anyway.  Hence, the royalties would be almost nothing to pay out, the disc space is comparable to Blu-ray, and the technology is cheaper and easier to produce discs on than Blu-ray.  Plus, there are literally hundreds of thousands of HD DVD drives out there that MS could buy for pennies on the dollar, making the console still relatively cheap.

Plus, as this generation has well shown, people don't really care if their consoles play movies... the Wii doesn't and it's the #1 console on the market by far, the XBOX 360 only play standard DVDs and it sucks at doing that, and the PS3 plays Blu-rays and upconverts beautifully, but it's in far, far last place.

It's my opinion also that MS should offer a full new-release game download service like Sony does with the PSN and then also offer (if they could work it out with the 3rd party guys) a streaming game subscription service... it would be pricey, but for people like me who buy 20-30 game titles a year, it would be cost effective.  And for those who only buy 2-3 titles a year, they could just buy a physical disc or download it to their HDD.

Just my idea of course (and is subject to change).  What kind of ideas do you guys have?

Yeah thats been my opinion too. Microsoft can use HD-DVD if they want. Thres nothing to stop them and it is a really good technology and will address the lack of disk space on DVD- 9. They own the Technology so they should use it

I think so too... just change the name of the format to shed the "loser" tag that the name HD DVD has.. maybe HD MD (High-def Media Disc).  Then again, maybe something better & cheaper is here before that time arrives..

Yeah but why does it necessarily have to be able to play Movies in BR. I mean much like BR, HD-DVD has multiple layers. If i remember correctly they had a triple layer HD-DVD with 51 GB a couple years ago and i imagine that they can add alot more layers. So why not use HD-DVD for the games and expand their current NETFLIX service for playing Movies.

I mean because adopting the latest and greatest Movie player always assures victory ;)

I couldn't agree more... I actually said the same thing a couple of times in this thread.  I think the inclusion of Blu-ray would actually hurt MS far more than it would help them.. Just ask Sony, that's why they are losing the latest console war.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Well MS wouldn't have to pay a lot of money to Sony for using Bluray. Things are not looking bright for the BluRay. Sony or the BDA needs every supporter they can find for the Blu. They will welcome Microsoft in a friendly way.

So I pick up: BluRay + Digital Distribution. Every game that is on Blu can also be downloaded. So customers have the choice.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Comrade Tovya said:
1337 Gamer said:
Comrade Tovya said:
1337 Gamer said:
Comrade Tovya said:

I couldn't agree more... I actually said the same thing a couple of times in this thread.  I think the inclusion of Blu-ray would actually hurt MS far more than it would help them.. Just ask Sony, that's why they are losing the latest console war.

Well im glad im not the only one thinking this. Lol to everyone who thinks blu-ray us the end all be all of media formats it still has a long way to go. I for one dont see it on any consoles except the PS4 next gen

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Using HD-DVD is a VERY GOOD IDEA for all those points you mentioned, so I totally aggree with you about that! There is one problem though, those drives will be old-technology then and very slow in comparison. You can't simply use though those old drives because of this, you need to improve the technology. There is a chance that some other format or Bluray can be cheaper by that time.

People are complaining about the size of dvd in 360 and then speculate about "digital download" only media in the future. Its uncomrehensible! I mean given that the dvd size is barely enough now, future games will be dozens of Gigabytes and do you honestly expect people to download all those data? The bandwidths will not be THAT good, they will probably increase 3-4 times in the next 5 years, which is still a pain in the ass if you'd like to download a 20-30 GB data! (with 10 mbps, it will take ablout 10 hours for the best scenario! Plus many potential problems).

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates