By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Quake on Wii using Homebrew - Amazingly fast controls

Yeah, my friend showed me that on his Wii a little while ago--I even got to play it a little bit. It feels amazingly fluid--more so than some of the lesser 'real' Wii shooters. But the part that REALLY amazed me was that the entire file (yes, the entire damn game) was 11 megabytes.

The entire game of Quake on ELEVEN MEGABYTES! That's less than most WiiWares!

Seriously--I'm wondering how games are even filling up a DVD now. I know, I know, high-res textures, but man! 11 damn megabytes for Quake!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
thetonestarr said:
Holy crap. I am a shameful Wii owner. I knew nothing of Wii homebrew. Patching.

Don't do it! Nintendo hates freedom, and won't let you use the Wii Shop channel when they upgrade.

Won't someone please think of the World of Goo?!

thekitchensink said:
Yeah, my friend showed me that on his Wii a little while ago--I even got to play it a little bit. It feels amazingly fluid--more so than some of the lesser 'real' Wii shooters. But the part that REALLY amazed me was that the entire file (yes, the entire damn game) was 11 megabytes.

Seriously--I'm wondering how games are even filling up a DVD now. I know, I know, high-res textures, but man! 11 damn megabytes for Quake!

I'm sorry to say this: shareware version...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
thekitchensink said:

I'm sorry to say this: shareware version...

Nope--my friend has the entire game on his console, including all the multiplayer maps (though currently you can only play with bots since they haven't worked out an online system).

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

If I'm not mistaken, the shareware version contains the entire game; it just doesn't have the entire thing unlocked.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

11 Megabytes?

That's nothing to 96 Kilobytes!

http://www.theprodukkt.com/kkrieger

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

That's incredibly fast. Geez, I don't even know if I'd be able to play it that well at that speed.

amp316 said:

Kryos. How is the Wii not decent hardware?"

It don't do teh HD graphiczz.

OT: Maybe one day I'll own a second Wii for homebrew. Don't want to take my chances.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

What is wrong with developers not putting real FPS effort on the wii? That looks amazing.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

Good evidence there of how good the Wii Remote really is for first-person shooter control. And man, I'd forgotten how blocky Quake models really look. We were all so impressed by the game back in 1996, when 3D was a new thing, but now it's showing its age something awful.

As for the ridiculous size of modern games compared to older titles like Quake, you can blame a lot of that on streaming audio and video. The difference in file size between a MIDI and a WAV or equivalent is astronomical, and of course FMVs take up a lot of space even when compressed. Amusingly, there's more work being done to improve FMV compression schemes thanks to the DS than anything else; because when you have a maximum space allocation of 256MB, you can't really afford to stick uncompressed video or audio files in your game.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.