By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft 2, Savior of PC gaming

Starcraft 2 was the PC game I was most looking forward to, until I saw this video:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/crysis/video_player.html?id=dXM7kjuq5bkLvTXW

I look forward to playing Crisis when I buy a PC that can handle it... in 2010.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

The day that they announced Starcraft 2 has to have been one of the happiest days of my life. I'm already building a new PC for Starcraft 2, have been planning it since Starcraft 2 has been announced =P I just hope it is as good as we all hope it will be. Since the last big game I looked forward to on the PC was Age of Empires 3, and that for me was a huge dissapointment. Let's just hope Blizzard spends more time on SC2 rather than WoW so we could have an earlier release ;D

sinha said:

Starcraft 2 was the PC game I was most looking forward to, until I saw this video:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/crysis/video_player.html?id=dXM7kjuq5bkLvTXW

I look forward to playing Crisis when I buy a PC that can handle it... in 2010.

I didn't think crysis was too bad considering how nice it looks....

Minimum Requirements:
  • CPU: Athlon 64 3000+/Intel 2.8ghz
  • Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
  • RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
  • HDD: 6GB
  • Internet: 256k+
  • Optical Drive: DVD
  • Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP
Recommended Requirements:
  • CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
  • Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent
  • RAM: 1.5Gb
  • HDD: 6GB
  • Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)
  • Optical Drive: DVD
  • Software: DX10 with Windows Vista
Everything there is pretty doable honestly, especially on the minimum side. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

Blizzard is an amazingly high quality developer, but they definately take their time.
ID has made leaps and bounds for FPSes, you could consider them the father.
Valve Took what ID did and improved it.
Epic did, umm, well, a pinball game that was pretty fun, One Must Fall 2097, and oh yeah, Unreal, which was a competitor to Quake. They still feud on occasion.

In terms of History, ID and Blizzard are the most important, in terms of Quality, Blizzard/Valve are the best, in terms of spreading out types of games, Epic and Blizzard are about the same. So, by those 3 categories, Blizzard takes the win in my book, even if the others definitely cannot be overlooked.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

One of my favorite games of all times has a sequal coming out

/sob
someone just hold me why i cry with joy

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

I like the Starcraft and Warcraft series. Could never get into Warcraft 3 though. I would like to see Blizzard bring Starcraft to the Wii because this is the area that has been unexploited on the Wii so far. RTS. I'm sure you cant to everything that you could on the PC but it would make other companies consider making RTS games for the Wii. I don't think it would cost them very much and the Wii userbase is growing.

PC gaming does not need to be saved. Oblivion, Bioshock, Medieval, etc... PC gaming is not in danger people; anyways, looks amazing; cannot wait.

While I believe -- and have stated on many occassions -- that PC games is a dwindling land mass, I'd also say this: if the market were to crash tomorrow, the only survivor would be the PC.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Warlord_ said:
naznatips said:
Warlord_ said:
The game does look like fun but nothing really new or amazing. During the video's they keep saying new this and new that but the units are nothing new, all they did is change the name, that air ship that tranforms into a goliath lol, and that thor thing looks like crap, all the terran units and buildings are all just boxes, one would think they could of added more to the game after 10 years or whatever its been since the original starcraft. That protoss walker is the exact same thing from the war of the worlds movie or whatever its called.

This game has been a joke so far, lets hope they do something better with the Zerg.

You have no appreciation for quality.  What the hell are you judging this game on?  Starcraft is the greatest RTS of all time and Blizzard is one of the greatest developers of all time.  Everything points to this game being something truly amazing.

I'm judging this game on all rts games that have come out, this game is nothing amazing and only slightly better then the original.  Starcraft one is judged way to high in the rts community, the game is old and boring and shows it.  The original starcraft might of been good when it game out 10 years ago, but not now.

You're right if you say the game is old. You're wrong if you say it is boring. The thing is: even if it is that old, it is continously one of the most important e-sport-games. All the time, no other RTS came out, that delivered the same or better multiplayer experience. I think it's the balance - not only between the different factions, but also between different strategies. A rush, a dropship attack, big armies, attack with multiple nuclear bombs, ... - all of this can be successful. Thats why Starcraft is never boring, every match is different. No one else was able to make a game like this. I fear, that even blizzard is unable to make such a game again. But I will hope.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Astrodust said:
I like the Starcraft and Warcraft series. Could never get into Warcraft 3 though. I would like to see Blizzard bring Starcraft to the Wii because this is the area that has been unexploited on the Wii so far. RTS. I'm sure you cant to everything that you could on the PC but it would make other companies consider making RTS games for the Wii. I don't think it would cost them very much and the Wii userbase is growing.

Yes, Wii should become good RTS, but not a simple PC-Port. RTS are too complex, that you can simple port the input-scheme to the wii. Think about how many keys you use, if you are in a heated Starcraft-battle. I wish some well-made RTS designed for the Wii.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]