By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Games that you think will fail to turn a profit.

Probably most of the AAA titles on the PS3 will fail to turn a profit just due to the low install base. It may be part of the reason behind the constant delays in all the games. They're waiting until there are more consoles around.

However, if they keep releasing games at the rate of one every few months, they'll get a higher attach rate and may be able to turn a profit (didn't seem to work out too well for NGS though - 160,000 sold and not another game in sight).

Around the Network
senatorpjt said:
Probably most of the AAA titles on the PS3 will fail to turn a profit just due to the low install base. It may be part of the reason behind the constant delays in all the games. They're waiting until there are more consoles around.

However, if they keep releasing games at the rate of one every few months, they'll get a higher attach rate and may be able to turn a profit (didn't seem to work out too well for NGS though - 160,000 sold and not another game in sight).

I have a problem with that statment. One thing that Everyone will agree with is AAA games sells consoles. the problem is that the PS3 has had only 1 AAA game so far and its debatable (Resistance). With every AAA game that comes out Sales will spike for the console aswell. PS3 has alot of games that are AA new IP's that have potential to be AAA games.

Ninja Gaiden is a remake with upgraded textures and a few added levels. much like RE4 wii but double the price. sima cost 60 bux, RE4 cost 30 bux.

senatorpjt said:

I give this the "worst post of the thread award"

Would waiting have been better for Resisatcne ? +1.5 million in sales.
Would waiting have been better for Motorstorm ? +1 million in sales.

The whole wait for bigger use base is a joke, if you got a crap product sure waiting might be a good idea.  But a really good game will sale no matter what. 

Reason for delays is to make the game better fix the problems.  The "user base to small" is a cop out for cowards that know they have a mediocre product.  

Shido said:

I will be original, I will say Devil May Cry 4, the previous game sold 1.62 mill on a much much larger install base, I don't see the hype around this game even for PS3 fans or M$ fans. And this game is supposed to be released on Q4 2007, where there is a lot of others great games that can steal sales from it. Plus this game is a AAA title so dev cost should be high.

Shido its easy to actually tell what DMC needs to sell to make a profit. As capcom releases numbers they want their games to hit. Here is the official chart capcom posted for the numbers they want their games to hit.

I saved it because I want to keep and eye on these games. I really wish other devs did this like Capcom. In any case capcom wants DMC4 to sell 1.8 million copies to be a lovely success for them. The last one sold 1.6 you say, I believe part 4 will be able to make this since it is multi platform. I think the hardcore buy everything "we love software" 360 owners will get the title there. PS3 will sell a good amount too. I dont think the game will fail. Considering capcom considers 1.8 million a resounding success, I would wager the amount of copies that needs to be sold to just break even would be below that by a decent margin. Maybe 1.2 million to break even? And another 600k of pure profit possibly? I dont know, what do you all think?

Another thing I want to mention while I have people looking at that chart, is I believe devs get paid for what they sell to retailers not what they sell to consumers.  On the above chart, I think Capcom just wants to SHIP 1.8 million copies of DMC4 to retailers so that they are paid for it. If the game only sells 1.3 million, but retailers bought 1.8, then Capcom will feel that its goal is met. I think this is looked over alot on these boards. Companies just about always sell to retailers more than we see on the WW sales numbers.

And finally Capcom will crush their RE:4 goal so easily its ridiculous. They have likely already shipped 400k. RE:4 just jumped 10 spots last week on the EU sales charts. Insanity. They will likely sellthrough 450k to actual consumsers and sell around 550k to retailers. Thats a lovely success for them.

..So basically instead of just saying I disagree and feel the 360 will carry DMC4 to profit I got longwinded....again....sorry. 

I'm not sure I totally agree with the Capcom forecast. Do they really need to sell 1.8 million copies of DMC4 to turn a profit? Maybe those are they numbers they are hoping for. It could be true though, you never know. They seem pretty precise.

Around the Network

Those numbers arent what they need for profit. Its what they need to sell to retailers for the guys running things to consider the game a success. They dont want to just "break even" They would consider that a failure and a waste of time likely.

Xyrax, RE4 has already hit 450k sold. 250k US + 103K Jap + ~100k Euro = ~450k.

Capcom is already doing the happy dance.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Xyrax said:

This chart is very interesting to view with another month of hind-sight. Vgchartz numbers for RE4:Wii are currently at approximately half a million, and that isn't including Europe at all. The GC and PS2 versions sold almost  twice as well in Europe as Japan, and it's still doing 20k a week in the US, so it's guaranteed to sell at least 150% of what Capcom hoped. Hitting a million seems pretty unlikely, but 800k or so is still possible if the legs are long.

Umbrella Chronicles is starting to look extremely promising, and it'll be interesting to see what Capcom does if it becomes a million seller, which is starting to look pretty likely. 

They're also expecting DMC4 to outsell the last two parts, even though they're releasing to a much smaller install base, and the game looks like more of the same. Looks like Capcom's in for a sore surprise...

I believe you're understimating RE4:Wii sales in Europe. I'd say they're well over 150k now, and a million WW won't be a problem.

You know im going to laugh when DMC4 fails on the 360 and not the PS3.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453