By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Games that you think will fail to turn a profit.

Killzone3 said:
naznatips said:
Killzone3 said:
Well certain games have certain budgets because they have certain sales expectations. So unless they game is a major flop, or they goes way over budget they all should make money.

As far as games like MGS4 FF13, its now whether they make money or not. Its how much money will they make.

Whoa I actually completely agree with your last statement. I think hell just froze over lol.

As far as your first one though, it's true that games are made with a "projected sales" number in mind, but that doesn't mean that flops don't happen all the time. For example: Daikatana cost a fortune to make and years of development and ended up a STEAMING flop.

Game devs dont know when to give up.

If movie production is going bad they cut their loss's, game indusrty has not learned this yet. It costs to much and takes to long to make usually spells a good chance for a flop.

I agree, but how often do developers even know that their game is bad?  Every developer always talks about their game like it's the second comming of Jesus, no matter how good it is.  I think the big issue is developers have trouble admitting (or maybe even knowing at all) that their game sucks.

Around the Network

I can not believe what I am seeing with some of these predictions. MGS4, FFXII, and GTA4.

MGS4 will make a profit without a problem. The only reason that MGS3 and a lot of other awsome PS2 titles did not sell so good later in life is because, their was so much to choose from on the system. If Sony first party and 3rd party exclusives were all that were coming (like on gamecube) then great games like this would have sold a ton. The problem is there were to many games being for the the ps2 for good games to get as noticed. Their is a reason Jak and daxter 1-3, Ratchet 1-3, God of War 1-2, and many other amazing Sony titles did not do as good as nintendo or MS games. People could by games other than just 1st party stuff. If Sony ran the bissness like MS and nintendo were the consumer buys a game Halo or Mario (then a bunch of crappy titles with no relevance) eight months laterMS nothing N Smash bros. I mean what else are the fans going to get on these systems, that is why even with less consoles sold MS and Nin still had huge numbers on their first party software.

FFXIII is not hardly worth mentioning how obserd it is to think this game won't make a profit. First of all it will sell 1 million first day in japan. That is all that has to be said. Any sales in America and EU are peir profit for Square, so to say it won't make a profit or not a good one is funny as hell.

This was the best of all. GTA4 not selling that great. Has anyone looked at the numbers for GTA? I guess not because, if you look GTA Sanandreas sold the most copies of any GTA last gen. Based on that I am sure they are going to have no trouble meeting expectations with this game. At the moment this is the I am a cool guy and I have a 80 million dollar nike contract, and a PS3 and GTA4.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Crysis, but EA will make it back from the kickback from MS and ATI ( or Nvidia?, I can't remember which one is backing crysis).
Boogie is extremely low budget. I think profit after 40k copies.
Haze, I hate to say it, because I want it so bad but it will bomb
Stranglehold will sell because it is the only way for people to get hardboiled on bluray right.

Naznatips:"-Dewey's Adventure
-No More Heroes (I really hope I'm wrong on this one, but I think it will be unadvertised and go under the radar)" I pretty much agree.

MP3 will make a profit, but it is coming out so early in the life cycle. It sells mostly in the US, and US only has 4 Million Wii's out there. 2 Mil would be amazing. I think 1-1.4 Million by the end of 07.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Kamizar said:
How will NGS not turn a profit? The game is a double remake, sure they had to program it from the ground up but they didn't need to hire that much of a writing staff for the 2 new missions as Rach...

Plus it has Ninjas and everyone loves ninjas, cept pirates...

Yes lots of us love ninjas but you ask how it will not turn a profit. Well for one thing, it's not selling that great. Let's say that the game cost a modest 5 million to make, and they make a respectable 20 dollars off each game. That's 250,000 copies they have to sell to break even. Factor in the advertising and they probably have to sell 300,000 copies. And I am being generous with my numbers.

Killzone 2, unless those 135 developers in the Netherlands are working for peanuts.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Killzone 2's budget of more than $20m+ is a risk.

Stranglehold might not

Alan Wake probably will be $15m by the time everything's done (it's around $8m now). It might not make it - although it deserves to.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Saying MGS4 will fail is like saying mario galaxy is going to fail.

Stranglehold will fail. I dont know a single person looking forward to this.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

MGS4 will make a profit. The game is getting way more buzz then it did in the past, my friends who have never played the MGS games before have been talking to me about it and asking me if they could borrow some of the older titles because the hype of the game is so much higher then its ever been. I'll agree that this game isn't well known compared to hot titles like FF, Mario, Halo and so on, but this is different from the others so don't compare it's sells to the previous titles because I have a feeling its going to be bigger then what people think.

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." - Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto

PSN joshmyersBV Global rank in Warhawk: 1734 Rank: Wing Leader Over 200 Mine kills
joshmyersBV said:
MGS4 will make a profit. The game is getting way more buzz then it did in the past, my friends who have never played the MGS games before have been talking to me about it and asking me if they could borrow some of the older titles because the hype of the game is so much higher then its ever been. I'll agree that this game isn't well known compared to hot titles like FF, Mario, Halo and so on, but this is different from the others so don't compare it's sells to the previous titles because I have a feeling its going to be bigger then what people think.

No offense, but the "all my friends/everybody I know" thing is kinda useless unless your circle of friends and acquaintances comprises several tens of millions of people. MGS4 is going to sell less than than any of the other Solid games. I don't know how big the budget is, though, so it may turn a profit.

All this is assuming it remains PS3-exclusive.

Desroko said:
joshmyersBV said:

No offense, but the "all my friends/everybody I know" thing is kinda useless unless your circle of friends and acquaintances comprises several tens of millions of people. MGS4 is going to sell less than than any of the other Solid games. I don't know how big the budget is, though, so it may turn a profit.

All this is assuming it remains PS3-exclusive.

I think you are a bit loco. With the 20th anniversary collection coming out it will generate even more hype for the game as more people will have played the older games making it so that more people purchase a PS3 and MGS4. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453