By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Games that you think will fail to turn a profit.

Can't say, unless you can tell me the budget of every game mentioned already.

Well can you ?

Around the Network

Hmm, I thought there were permabans for certain people. Guess not.

Well certain games have certain budgets because they have certain sales expectations. So unless they game is a major flop, or they goes way over budget they all should make money.

As far as games like MGS4 FF13, its now whether they make money or not. Its how much money will they make.

Killzone3 said:
Well certain games have certain budgets because they have certain sales expectations. So unless they game is a major flop, or they goes way over budget they all should make money.

As far as games like MGS4 FF13, its now whether they make money or not. Its how much money will they make.

True.

For your Screen name, If Sony (Guerilla) disapoints again and makes another sucky Killzone game I doubt your screen name will ever be made.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

roadkillers said:
Killzone3 said:

True.

For your Screen name, If Sony (Guerilla) disapoints again and makes another sucky Killzone game I doubt your screen name will ever be made.

I doubt they will screw it up. Has sony ever invested so much on a game to have it end up a failure ?

A good shooter honestly is not that hard to do, but to make that shooter stand out from every other shooter is the hard part. They already have the graphics that sets then apart from everything else. Really solid controls a good story and boom you got a couple million in sales. Ohh and kick ass online, Resistance did it and it was a damn launch title so no reason Killzone2 cant have some sweet online modes.

Around the Network
Killzone3 said:
roadkillers said:
Killzone3 said:

True.

For your Screen name, If Sony (Guerilla) disapoints again and makes another sucky Killzone game I doubt your screen name will ever be made.

I doubt they will screw it up. Has sony ever invested so much on a game to have it end up a failure ?

A good shooter honestly is not that hard to do, but to make that shooter stand out from every other shooter is the hard part. They already have the graphics that sets then apart from everything else. Really solid controls a good story and boom you got a couple million in sales. Ohh and kick ass online, Resistance did it and it was a damn launch title so no reason Killzone2 cant have some sweet online modes.

Well CoD did it 3 times almost 4 so it cant be that hard. Just kidding. Ya I cant wait for KZ2 and I know it will sell a lot probally around 5 million.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Hus said:
Can't say, unless you can tell me the budget of every game mentioned already.

Well can you ?

oh jesus how in the FRACK are YOU back.

God no.

Please jesus start permabanning please. 

Stranglehold - $30million budget? Wow that seems very high. Not only that but it's going to get swamped amongst other great titles. Shame because I think it looks incredibly good.

Lair - I think this is going to BOMB and hard as well. Just look at games such as Panzer Dragoon Orta to see that dragon riding games don't sell well. PDO also had very impressive visuals for it's time and recieved incredible reviews (which so far Lair doesn't seem to be doing). It's such an insanely niche title. I don't think any casual gamer is going to be interested in it even slightly.

MGS4 - If it stays PS3 exclusive I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't turn a profit. MGS3 sold 4million copies on a system with an install base around 100million. Being optimistic the PS3 might have an install base of 10million when MGS is released. MGS4 is going to have a significantly higher cost as well. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it needed to sell 1-1.5million copies just to break even. The popularity of the series has also dropped MGS 5.59million, MGS 2 5.56 million, MGS 3 3.96million. Considering MGS 3 was released when the PS2's install base was much bigger as well it seems that perhaps MGS2 killed off quite a few fans of the series.

Rock Band - On the net there seems to be a lot of hype but only from hardcore gamers. I think casual gamers who really drive the sales of guitar hero aren't going to be interested. They already have a guitar game in a franchise they know which is much cheaper.

Blacksite Area 51 - Looks quite good but it's launching near so many fantastic FPS.

Dragon Blade Wrath of fire - Im sure most people aren't even aware this exists.

Brunswick Pro Bowling - By all accounts it controls worse than wii sports. Why would anyone buy it?

Two Worlds - Im sure it's going to get ripped to shreds and called an oblivion clone. Maybe some Oblivion fans will buy it though =/

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Killzone3 said:

Whoa I actually completely agree with your last statement.  I think hell just froze over lol.

As far as your first one though, it's true that games are made with a "projected sales" number in mind, but that doesn't mean that flops don't happen all the time.  For example:  Daikatana cost a fortune to make and years of development and ended up a STEAMING flop. 

naznatips said:
Killzone3 said:

Whoa I actually completely agree with your last statement. I think hell just froze over lol.

As far as your first one though, it's true that games are made with a "projected sales" number in mind, but that doesn't mean that flops don't happen all the time. For example: Daikatana cost a fortune to make and years of development and ended up a STEAMING flop.

Game devs dont know when to give up.

If movie production is going bad they cut their loss's, game indusrty has not learned this yet.  It costs to much and takes to long to make usually spells a good chance for a flop.