By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Games that you think will fail to turn a profit.

MGS4
Boogie
Eye of Judgement
Stranglehold
Lair
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Blue Dragon

Around the Network
Biggerboat said:
I think MGS4 may struggle if it stays PS3. Dewy is looking pretty desperate though in the scheme of things it'll be peanuts to Konami. I worry about No More Heroes & Zack and Wiki as I want them to be successul but not so sure they'll be hits. Pretty much every big budget PS3 exclusive will do well to break even imo.

even though MGS4 is exclusive it will sell alot of ps3's in all 3 major regions.. hence the game will sell alot of copies.. if it struggles there will probably be a 360 version down the pipe

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

stranglehold could make money on the john woo effect though... and being a mutli plat...

How will NGS not turn a profit? The game is a double remake, sure they had to program it from the ground up but they didn't need to hire that much of a writing staff for the 2 new missions as Rach...

Plus it has Ninjas and everyone loves ninjas, cept pirates...

Bonafide732 said:
Biggerboat said:
I think MGS4 may struggle if it stays PS3. Dewy is looking pretty desperate though in the scheme of things it'll be peanuts to Konami. I worry about No More Heroes & Zack and Wiki as I want them to be successul but not so sure they'll be hits. Pretty much every big budget PS3 exclusive will do well to break even imo.

even though MGS4 is exclusive it will sell alot of ps3's in all 3 major regions.. hence the game will sell alot of copies.. if it struggles there will probably be a 360 version down the pipe

I think that MGS4 has already sold the majority of the PS3s it is ever going to. It was one of the prime reasons for early adopters.

Around the Network

Personally, I'd say Lair and Heavenly Sword ...

Both of these games have been in development for a long time and had a massive ammount of resources thrown at them (which means their costs are high), are new IPs in genres which are not typically amazingly popular, there are no major sequels to games being released on the PS3 around the same time as these games, and the PS3's userbase is too small to make up for these shortcommings on brute force alone.

Bonafide732 said:
Biggerboat said:

It's hard to say exactly how much MGS4 is costing Konami but if an average HD game needs to move 500K copies to break even I'm thinking MGS4 could need upwards of 2 mill. MGS3 sold just under 4 million so I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility for it's sequel to sell less than half considering PS3's tiny install base and high entry price point.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

Astrodust said:

I can think of one off the top of my head. Stranglehold. It's development cost is extremely high and it is coming out against a lot of other good games. Also Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I'm not sure what the development cost on that was but it has not sold that well. I know it's a port but I don't put the development cost on that one at less than 5 million. For the Wii I am thinking Endless Ocean. That game would have done well in Japan but the bugs seems to have taken the wind out of its sails and it's not really the type of game North Americans buy. At least I wouldn't.

EndlessOcean will be fine, have a look at its predeccesors on the PS2,

From GAF 

I don't have them myself, but, once again, JoshuaJSlone to the rescue!

EverBlue (2001):
Aug 6-12 - 6958 / NEW
Aug 13-19 - 5422 / 12380

It didn't show up the next few weeks, but I think 30K isn't too bad a guess for its LTD. With EverBlue 2 doing 10,780 according to the site ziran posted, 10K first day sales for Forever Blue is awesome.

The first two Everblue games had first weeks around half of what endless ocean did in its first day. if you have played the first two you remember alot of the modes on those games werent even included in this one. I suspect the budget for this game was not very large. Im sure the first week sales of everblue will be greater than the 20k or so Lifetime sales the first two did. This game will outsell both of its previous iterations LTD's put together rather easily.

As far as games I think wont make the budget. Gundam Musou set to launch later here this year which has already done poorly in Japan. And definitely Stranglehold. 30million dollar budget on these next gen consoles during the same season as heavy hitters from Bungie Nintendo and Activision Harmonix etc. Someones gonna die....seriously. And finally Lair. 20million budget and looking like its going to have trouble.

Lamia98 said:
Bonafide732 said:
Biggerboat said:

I think that MGS4 has already sold the majority of the PS3s it is ever going to. It was one of the prime reasons for early adopters.

No, I have to disagree, when I bought my ps3 I didint even know a game like that existed as well as some friends of mine. Even if it is true 2-3 million mgs4 copies would make a profit selling at 60buks each.

mM

So when a game goes multiplatform...its saves money or does it cost more for a developer to make the game multiplatorm than a exclusive??