By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii could reach 210 million and 70% market share by end of 2012

If the Wii does reach that number, it implies that around 3% of the world's 6 bill. population has one!

Only if they included a brainwashing device in the Wii can I see it sell that much.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Around the Network

@GamingChartz: But the average east-european drives a car, goes to work and the countries are experiencing financial growth. I think you know it yourself, that you're grasping straws with your argument.
Outside western countries, people generally have lower income than the people in west, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't have money. Besides, as i already said, eventually, the price will go down, making the console available for more people.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Don't be too disappointed when it won't happen. :)

every generation is getting larger in terms of sales so it's unknown how many it will sell by the end of this gen but I sdo think it'll sell more than the ps2 when all said and done.

I reckon next year Ninty are gonna ramp up production again and bring out or announce some massive games, including their big hitters (first true Wii Zelda anyone?) so who knows where demand stops?

200M+ though - i dont think so, I think we'll see a Wii2 with HD, HDD better motion controls, full backwards compatibility before then.

That may be a little bold, but I would not mind seeing that happen. I look forward to great sales from all three companies, and a very long generation. With gaming going more main stream, and the gains in new consoles deminishing I see no need for new consoles as often. At this point bring out a new console every 5 years would be like hollywood making a new movie standard at the same rate. Hopefully we don't see new consoles tell 2014 at the earliest.

Last gen ended to early for all three consoles, and it would be nice to really use these consoles to their max before we move on. I think in ways Nintendo has it right with what they did this gen. Buy extending the life of this generation, and giving technology a chance to grow the next gen consoles could all offer a true leap from the experiance this gen. It would be very nice to be able to pick up a PS4 for $400 dollars at launch, that had a Keyboard, headtset, Eye camera, DS4, and Motion controller. All while having a graphical leap just as impressive as PS2 to PS3.

What do you think?

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

I don't think so. The Wii is going to sell 170 million copies while the PS3 and 360 sell ~30 million?

Not happening. Here's what I'm thinking:

End of 2009- 62 million
End of 2010- 79 million
End of 2011- 97 million
End of 2012- 107 million
End of 2013- 115 million
End of 2014- 119 million

And so on. Maybe a little higher.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Let me know when that happens.

at the current rate of production they will likely be around 120 million consoles at the end of 2012... but that's if they don't increase production and if poeple still buy this thing... eventually it's going to die down... Nintendo is going to be hard pressed to release a system as massively successful next generation and Microsoft is making a good push... if... and that's a big IF... they succeed then that will likely take a check out of Nintendo... perhaps not coming close to it in sale, but convencing Wii owners to check it out... see what else is out there... so when the next generation of consoles comes they will look at Microsoft to and not just jump on the Nintendo ship like people did with the PS1 to the PS2

bdbdbd said:
@GamingChartz: But the average east-european drives a bad car, goes to low paid work and the countries are experiencing financial growth. I think you know it yourself, that you're grasping straws with your argument.
Outside western countries, people generally have lower income than the people in west, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't have money. Besides, as i already said, eventually, the price will go down, making the console available for more people.

^Fix'd!

bdbdbd posted: "I think you know it yourself, that you're grasping straws with your argument."

ok, I'll bite  O_o

List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita:

Western Countries:

Luxembourg
$ 104,452
Sweden $ 50,415
Finland $ 46,769
Netherlands $ 46,389
United States $ 45,959
United Kingdom $ 45,626
Australia $ 43,798
Germany $ 40,315
France $ 40,200

East European Countries:

Russia $ 14,800
Romania $ 7,452
Bulgaria $ 5,409
Serbia $ 4,106
Ukraine $ 3,035
Moldova $ 976
etc. etc.

Asian Countries:

China $ 2,459
India $ 973
etc. etc.

Yes, poor countries are experiencing growth. It'll take a few decades (at least) before they reach our level of wealth.

Edit:

I could have opted for PPP (Purchase Power Parity), but I wanted to show the future potential wealth in each country.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

sorry :(