By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why won't Ps3:s AAA games sell like Xbox 360:s?

Kyros said:
And stop calling Gears of War a FPS

Shooter? TPS? What you want. All the same a slightly different perspective doesn't change that.

Oh and Banjo flopped. 200k is simply a flop (as is Motorstorm).

Carnival Games flopped harder... well I think you know how much it sold until today
TPS are in general far less popular than FPS. (With the exception of the GTA series)

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

From what I have seen, most 360 games don't have much as far as legs. The sales are pretty front loaded. There are two main reasons I see as being the difference:

1. Microsoft knows their 360 owners better than Sony knows their PS3 owners. Sony is not creating the types of games their owners want, while Microsoft does.

2. Sony has lost it's touch in marketing. In fact Sony has been going downhill in marketing ever since the PSP released. I don't know what has gotten into them. Microsoft has very effectively marketed their console and the games for it. They now market all games with the ending "Xbox 360. Now starting at $199". Simple and effective. When is the last time you saw Sony media blitz a game the way Microsoft blitzed Halo 3 and Gears of War?

I agree, with the bolded part.

Inefficient marketing.

Check out my game about moles ^

So if all those games are selling better on X360 how comes that multiple publishers when annual results were coming few months ago showed same or bigger profits on ps3 than x360 (iirc EA and Ubisoft were among them).

Maybe simply the trick would be to compare sales numbers for less succusfull games too as it might be that x360 gets a lot of attention but ps3 might have more equal distribution of customers. Remember for every glorius hit with ads and hype comes several not so amazing titles.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Kyros said:
And stop calling Gears of War a FPS

Shooter? TPS? What you want. All the same a slightly different perspective doesn't change that.

Oh and Banjo flopped. 200k is simply a flop (as is Motorstorm).

Its a TPS. If you want to continue to look foolish and call a game something it isn't, be my guest.

Zlejedi said:
So if all those games are selling better on X360 how comes that multiple publishers when annual results were coming few months ago showed same or bigger profits on ps3 than x360 (iirc EA and Ubisoft were among them).

Maybe simply the trick would be to compare sales numbers for less succusfull games too as it might be that x360 gets a lot of attention but ps3 might have more equal distribution of customers. Remember for every glorius hit with ads and hype comes several not so amazing titles.

because EA Sports games sell better on PS3 due to Europe ;)

Around the Network

I agree with some of the statements in here.

I do agree that the marketing has gone downhill for Sony, it will pick up in time, but they've been investing in so much technology, there's just too much to spread around :P Microsoft doesn't need to advertise it's OS, it's only really got zune and the 360... Whereas Sony does everything from entertainment, to robot/mp3 players :P

I don't think Sony's lost touch with the userbase at all, they're just creating a future. Many companies like to throw out the heavy hitters right off the bat to generate sales, it seems to me like Sony prefers making new IP's, to create future blockbusters :P I mean take a look at the Nintendo side, it's a constant bitching for another mario, another zelda, another smash brothers, it's like they're new IP's went completely un-noticed because the already got to sample "the goods". Sony's new IP's brought a slew of million+ sellers, and some great recognition ^^

All in all, I think Sony plans they're business model to be profit over time for everything, as opposed to go big or go home. Although that's just my take.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

sigh foolish. Gears is a shooter. I don't know of many other "TPS" so saying that they are less successful or even putting GTA into the same category as Gears is laughable.

Kyros said:
sigh foolish. Gears is a shooter. I don't know of many other "TPS" so saying that they are less successful or even putting GTA into the same category as Gears is laughable.

all right so basically you say that GTA isn't a TPS. Well the camera is third person and you need to shoot people...

FPS are far more popular. Acccept it

bdbdbd said:
@Onyxmeth: I don't know about the marketing. Sony is pushing really hard, but the lack of exclusives (in multiplatform games 360 has the advantage due to its price, which means it makes no sense to advertize multiplatform games).
To me the "crappy marketing" seems more like Sony not understanding to who they are marketing the product. The thing that Sony did wrong, was that PSP was more targeted to home console owners and pricing PS3 out of the consumers range, to who they wanted to market the product. And as a side note, the gamers Sony had in the previous gens, grew up and out of Playstation, so the marketing that worked earlier, doesn't work in the same fashion to same people anymore.

You may well be right, but that fits into what I was saying. They are making games that will not sell extraordinarily well to their userbase and their marketing is off.

To everyone else talking about the PS3 audience being too diversified, then how come it doesn't affect multiplatform titles? They all seem to sell relatively in line with their 360 counterparts each time. It looks to me that both consoles have the same audience for the most part and it's more of Sony not pushing the right buttons with their customers to go out and buy first party titles.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Zlejedi said:

Actually EA's last quaterly result showed the 360 well ahead of the others (in fact it outsold Wii+PS3 combined by a significant amount).

Then again the numbers you've read are shipped to stores and not actually sold to consumers.  If the PS3 is indeed moving a lot less games it will catch up with the console eventually as stores will simply refuse to carry as many copies of games for it.