By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why won't Ps3:s AAA games sell like Xbox 360:s?

hehe ok that was cool. On the other hand 110k must be the most successful motor-cycle racer ever in Japan

Around the Network

Yep MY PS3 is mainly just Blu-ray player.
Most PC and X360 ports play far better on PC both graphically and due to far superior mouse interface - why get an inferior PS3 version (or X360 version) when you can afford a PC and i will be getting a new quad core soon.
Most PS3 exclusives do not have the quality to convince me to buy them - they dont even seem to support the motion features of the controller properly - i got PS3 is to play games which have good motion support but there is no motion support in most games or it's inferior quality.

People who can't afford a PC but like FPS games more often will get an Xbox not a PS3 - since if they could afford a PS3 some will go all the way and get a PC instead. !

The recession is doing wonders for X360 sales - if there were no recession then PC and PS3 would increase at expense of the Xbox360.

PS3 number 1 fan

a lot of people have a ps3 for blu ray

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Fractured market....

PS3 is.......

a) Media Center
b) Internet Browser
c) Blu Ray player
d) Video game console
e) Having an identitiy crisis !
f) Insanely expensive
g) All of the above

Kyros said:
??? Extracting generalized statements from three examples is bullshit esp. if these three examples are inconclusive.

Gears is the successor to one of the most successful games of this gen.
Fable2 did also very well but after its amazing first week it was more in line with its predecessor.
Ninja Gaiden did bad. Wait what ? Apparently you don't know how much Ninja Gaiden sold on the Xbox.
Too Human did bad.
Banjo flopped hard. It had a bad opening, but don't make the mistake to underestimate a casual game. Again look at Banjo-Tooie's sales on the N64.

On the PS3 site:
MGS4 had a huge brandname and did amazingly well.
Resistance2 did ok but not really good.
LBP did good but not as the hype made us expect.
Haze flopped
Motorstorm flopped.

I would say its pretty even.

And stop calling Gears of War a FPS >.<

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

The attach rate for PS3 is good for its lifetime (same as 2yo X360) so I don't thing there is anything to do with blu-ray.

I disagree.  I think there is still a sizeable group out there that largely uses their PS3 as a Blu-ray player alone.  I was a member of that crowd for the first year I owned my PS3.  I actually finally started gaming on it when my 360 RROD'd on me (and realized that it is actually a pretty awesome gaming machine as well).

I think a bigger factor though is the fact that the 360 was out a year prior to the PS3, so most of the hardcore gamers who buy a game right off the bat (who were previously PlayStation faithful) bought an XBOX 360 as well.  That's eating into their bottom line.

The biggest factor though is XBOX Live in my opinion... the PSN has never been able to be what LIVE already is.

Plus, a lot of gamers from the last generation were carrying over their LIVE friends list to this one.  The PSN is new, and not as established as LIVE.  Most of my reliable clan-mates & friends are on LIVE.  I've been playing with the same guys for about 6 years or so... I think a lot of other people are in the same boat.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Achievement whoring keeps the 360 userbase competing against itself.

Easier to keep the population motivated to play more games when it's reminding itself that X people have points from Y game that others don't.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Achievement whoring keeps the 360 userbase competing against itself.

Easier to keep the population motivated to play more games when it's reminding itself that X people have points from Y game that others don't.

Believe it or not, there is a lot of wisdom in what you said.  I actually think that is true.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

People above me have raised some good points. I think another may be the PS3's small presence in North America. I hope that will change with time

You must keep in mind that when somebody buys a 360, they buy it to play video games. Although most people that buy a PS3 probably buy it for the same reason, there are definitely those who buy it for all of the other capabilities that it has.

@simulacrum - Do you agree with me that it is about time we saw a ZOE sequel?

And stop calling Gears of War a FPS

Shooter? TPS? What you want. All the same a slightly different perspective doesn't change that.

Oh and Banjo flopped. 200k is simply a flop (as is Motorstorm).