By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why won't Ps3:s AAA games sell like Xbox 360:s?

Some people (like my dad who bought a 2nd ps3...) might buy a ps3 only for the blu-ray feature since the quality is better than normal blu-ray readers. That isn't the case for xbox360. The other reason is that the user base is simply bigger on the 360.

Proud owner of a Wii, a Xbox360 and a PS3 (...two PS3's...)

My main brawl characters

Now playing:

wii:Super smash bros. brawl, The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
ps3: Guitar hero 3,4,5. Rock Band 1,2. Resistance 2
Xbox360:Nhl2k9, Mass Effect, MW2, Halo 3.

Around the Network

Gears was just a new franchise

A new FPS franchise by EPIC. That's like a new racing franchise by Polyphony.

bdbdbd said:
@Onyxmeth: I don't know about the marketing. Sony is pushing really hard, but the lack of exclusives (in multiplatform games 360 has the advantage due to its price, which means it makes no sense to advertize multiplatform games).
To me the "crappy marketing" seems more like Sony not understanding to who they are marketing the product. The thing that Sony did wrong, was that PSP was more targeted to home console owners and pricing PS3 out of the consumers range, to who they wanted to market the product. And as a side note, the gamers Sony had in the previous gens, grew up and out of Playstation, so the marketing that worked earlier, doesn't work in the same fashion to same people anymore.

I think that's hitting the nail on the head right there.

In Australia, like I mentioned above, I've seen one late night Resistance 2 commercial and only once. But I've seen a fair amount of motorstorm 2 ads on tv AND littlebigplanet poster ads.

In a Wii-dominated world, I believe the way they've marketed LBP is just asking for fail:

"In my world, I fart when I'm happy"

That might be cute, but no parent in their right mind would spend $700 on a PS3 just for that one game, when the Wii costs $388 and from what the world is telling them, there are way more "good" games on the Wii (cough carnival games cough).

One thing I must say Sony is doing well is that they're finally bundling games consistently (first it was LBP a month ago, now it's Resistance 2 in Australia).

@Onyxmeth: Last post took a while before i posted it, but anyway.

The PS brand isn't built on just a couple of genres, but having all the genres on board.

LBP is heavily marketed, just like Motorstorm. You are right about LBP being on a wrong platform, but personally, before judging its performance in the end, i'd like to wait and see whether it has legs (of course, it's not doing badly). But with Motorstorm, you need to take into account, that the sales of the original was largely due to bundling the title.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

My $0.02

- XBOX360 owners are mostly action games/shooter fans, PS3 owners are more diverse.
- Majority of XBOX360's games sell in the first 3 weeks usually not so for PS3 games.
- MS's marketing team is definitely better.
- LBP shouldn't be counted its a NEW franchise is EVERY sense. Not like GOW which is a shooter like countless other tiltes on xbox/xbox360 (it has broader appeal). It was a new IP but in a proven genre. Haze did not do so well because its not as good as GoW and the number of people who own Ps3 and like shooters is less. Resistance 2 will probably sell more than a million too it's early days yet.
- Frankly Motorstorm should not have sold as much as it did. every single friend I have that has a PS3 and motorstorm has not liked the game. Burnout is much better.
- Valkyria chronicles is an SRPG and a new IP, only Final Fantasy Tactics has ever sold more than 2 million and it has "final Fantasy" attached to it.
- Bioshock/eternal sonata are ports and everyone who wanted to play them has either bought and played it for the xbox360 or PC (in case of Bioshock) already. The fact that xbox versions are $30 cheaper does not help either.

Around the Network

it all comes down to target audience. In this case Age. 360 is for Pre - Teenage - Young Adult. Cheap system and Cheap games.

Ps3 for Young Adults and Adults. More Mature games - More Expensive and Story Driven and Adults have less time to plow through games. I have slowed down alot. I'm playing 4 games at once. LBP, Dead Space, R2 and now Home Beta. I ain't got time for anymore games.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

finalsquall said:
it all comes down to target audience. In this case Age. 360 is for Pre - Teenage - Young Adult. Cheap system and Cheap games.

Ps3 for Young Adults and Adults. More Mature games - More Expensive and Story Driven and Adults have less time to plow through games. I have slowed down alot. I'm playing 4 games at once. LBP, Dead Space, R2 and now Home Beta. I ain't got time for anymore games.

Incorrect. The Xbox 360 is pre-teen through adult - the difference is that sony priced themselves out of the "young people earning minimum wage" market. Make no mistake - the 360has just as many mature and story driven games as the PS3(more, actually).

I does not come down to target audience, both consoles want the same people this generation - sony is just not hitting all their targets...

RolStoppable said:
Kyros said:
Gears was just a new franchise

A new FPS franchise by EPIC. That's like a new racing franchise by Polyphony.

There you go.

Sure, it's only Japanese sales data, but I go out on a limb and claim that the game didn't do that great worldwide.

Best ownage ever on VGC :)

Well my thought is that Gears of War 1/2 and Halo 3 are just awesome games. If you consider yourself as a hardcore gamer, those are 3 games you have to play this generation. Sony has no shooter at all that deserves to be mentioned in one sentence with these games. Killzone2 might be the first game that could mess with Gears1/2 or Halo

Fable2 is a great game, too. It really deserves its sales. It will top Fable1 by 1 million units.

And I think PS3-Fans are hyping their games too much. Socom was considered as a title that could have a strong impact on Europes hardware sales. Same for Motorstorm PR. Well the truth is, those might be decent games, but they are not as big as Sony-fans thought they would be. You can say the same thing about LBP. It might be a great game, but it did not move one single console. There are countless examples. Resistance is again a decent game, but just not on the same level as Gears. Sony fans claimed it would sell just like Gears2.

If Tekken 6 would still be a PS3 exclusive, PS3 fans would say the same thing about this title.

But on nearly every thread here you will read, the 2009 lineup of the PS3 is so great, the Xbox360 has no big games coming etc. And then they mention games like inFamous for example. I will bet that inFamous won't be a game to remember after this gen, it might be decent, but not awesome. Uncharted 2 is another game PS3 fans say it will be great. Well it looks good, no doubt, but the first one had a hard time to cross the 2million mark, even with a lot of bundles. On the other hand a Mass Effect 2 for the 360 won't be that big. Well this game sold 2 million units, too. And I guess it wasn't bundled at all.

MGS4 is still the one and only great exclusive game Sony had this generation. A game that could be on the same level as Gears of war 1/2 or Halo3 quality-wise (hard to compare) But one game is not enough. They need Killzone 2 to be good and they need GT5 to perform outstanding. Just think about what might happen, if K2 will be like R2.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Zkuq said:
The userbase of the PS3 has more diversity so there's always less people interested in one sort of games. PS3 has more casual players than the 360. In a long-term run it could prove beneficial for the PS3 but so far it's probably more of a hindrance... Sort of. I guess it improves their sales even now, but the question is how much.

Anyway, diversity is my answer.

This statement, like the estimates in your signature, are way off. People are still confusing PS2 and PS3, this generation Xbox has just as much diversity as the PS3. Shooters still get all the attention because of their massive sales - but just because 360 shooters blow the sales of PS3 everything out of the water doesn't mean it's all the 360 has.

As for more casual players, are you joking? You think a lot of casual players ran out and bought a $400-$600 gaming system? The Wii has captured the grand majority of the casual gamer segment, and the 360 picked up the stragglers. PS3 has virtually none.

Too MANY AAA games.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far