By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Inferior Wii So Popular?

mod edit: Friendly warning, if you read this article there is a high probability you will want that 3 minutes of your life back. (-Sqrl)

http://www.gamesdunk.com/why-is-the-inferior-wii-so-popular/

At the moment the Nintendo Wii is selling outrageously fast, and is atop the best seller list for consoles at the moment. But I ask the question, why?

The Wii is in every way inferior to both the PS3 and the XBOX 360. In almost every regard, technically they are considerably weaker when it comes to processing power, graphics and speed. They have a lack lustre games line up, and only cater for the child market. The only thing going for it is the price.

But the price is cheaper than the others for a reason. The PS3 and 360 are considerably more, but that is justifiable, due to the far superior processing power and games line up. The Wii's other strong point is that it uses its motion sensor abilities to create a niche. But what the marketing neglects to mention is that the PS3 has and uses the same technology. A PS3's SIXAXIS controller has exactly the same capabilities as a Wii, but the vast majority of ignorant consumers don't even know this. An example of the PS3's motion sensor capabilities is demonstrated in Motorstorm, where you can tilt the controller like a steering wheel to drive, and Playstation store titles like Super-rub-a-dub, uses the controller's motion sensor entirely. The main fact is that Playstation doesn't market this feature because their focus is on blockbuster games and the experience of the gamer, not a silly gimmick to rope in gullible consumers.

Then there's the games line up. Yes they have exclusive titles like Zelda and Mario etc, but the only other games they market are their motion sensor games like Wii sports and Wii fit etc. All these games are only targeted at the casual gamer and the fact that they sell so well is an insult to the gaming community. Games like Wii sports are prehistoric when it comes to playability and graphics and quite frankly don't deserve to be in the current market. The only other games in their line up are games that are being released on the out dated PS2, barely any of the blockbuster titles released on the PS3 and 360 will ever be released on the Wii, due to the fact that the console can' handle them.

Really when you think about it the gimmick Nintendo have created is not even better than the PS2's EyeToy. The EyeToy was a huge seller for PS2, but Playstation didn't depend on it for their entire sales. But Nintendo on the other hand have devised an entire console around one idea, a very risky move if you ask me.

Another cunning ploy Nintendo has implemented to boost their reputation is only shipping out limited amounts of the console. This in turn creates a huge demand for their console, because they only ship miniscule quantities in bursts to retailers. Therefore when a consumer goes into a store to purchase one they are often knocked back by staff claiming they sold out in minutes. This tactic creates a false sense of urgency for the consumer and makes the console in demand, when in fact it hasn't sold anywhere near it's counterparts. Also the fact that it is doing so well now is because the vast majority of gamers already own either a PS3 or 360, sometimes both. Therefore these consoles aren't selling as much at the moment.

The Wii's shelf life is severely short and the majority of consumers will get tired of it within weeks. The far safer bet is to keep up with technology and get yourself a PS3 or 360, because they at least use modern technology and release games for people over the age of 10.

- Source

I'm not going to bother responding to it (at least at this time), but I thought we all could use a good laugh. Note how he says the Wii is selling really well at the beginning, but then says that it's not really selling as well as its counterparts... then says how the PS3 and 360 are not selling that well because everyone has them already... OH MAN.

Around the Network

I could say the same thing about ps3 or xbox 360, "the majority of consumers will get tired of it within weeks. The far safer bet is to keep up with technology and get yourself a wii."
(From the control aspect) Ps3 and xbox 360 are both inferior to the wii.

I have an similar question.

why is the inferior Ipod so popular?

So much restrictions with Ipod (less format supported) vs other MP3 Players.

let's not even get started with its pricing.

but why is it the best selling MP3 players????

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

lol

The Wii bashing will never end, will it?

EPIC MELTDOWN FTW! After the first paragraph I think the one created the article is just whining.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

LOL...so many things wrong....must....not....comment

kingofwale said:

For the same reason the Wii is selling:

The unwashed plebs lack the nuance and taste of We Sophisticated Folk.

On topic, I checked the date on this thing. September of this year? Someone's going through the Five Steps very, very slowly...

Stopped reading after he said that the PS3 has the same motion sensing capabilities as the Wii AND that called other people ignorant in the same sentence.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
noname2200 said:
kingofwale said:

For the same reason the Wii is selling:

The unwashed plebs lack the nuance and taste of We Sophisticated Folk.

On topic, I checked the date on this thing. September of this year? Someone's going through the Five Steps very, very slowly...

Totally missed that the original post was in September. The Amazon post (where I found this) was put up yesterday. lol

It's funny because taking the contrary of everything in this article gives pretty much what I believe since launch.
The Wii is just superior to both PS3 and XB360 in every single way. The only thing where the competitors could have been better is graphics, but it requires lots of things (HDTV surge, interest in HD surge, expensive furnitures, ...), that make this advantage a niche, and thus a completely inexistant advantage in the end.
Even the Wii online is superior in every single way to both PS3 and XB360, but even here people are unable to see it, and are saying the exact contrary.

The Wii is just superior, but the problem is that lots of people, competitors included, are completely unable to see it, being shut in a very shallow and tiny vision of reality. People and competitors stuck in technology, and believing that consoles are a technology product, are just plain fooling themselves.

That's not because some people with sense didn't tell them. But they just won't listen and stubbornly continue in their flawed view instead of evolving. Well, too bad for them. That's also why I realised little after the launch of the Wii, that the competitors just couldn't see the danger it represented, just how it was going to fly past them without them realising.

All it takes is changing from a flawed metrics (technology) to the real one (entertainment), but it seems like very hard to do for most people.

Once you understand the Wii is vastly superior to both its competitors, the OP article doesn't make sense anymore, as everything is wrong in it.