By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Inferior Wii So Popular?

* Looks at Wii Bingo card after reading article *

Wow. A black out.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network

Why was the inferior PS2 so popular?

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

The writer can go and sulk with his other gaming socialites while they sip tea while wearing expensive suits.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

ookaze said:
arsenicazure said:
ookaze said:
It's funny because taking the contrary of everything in this article gives pretty much what I believe since launch.
The Wii is just superior to both PS3 and XB360 in every single way. The only thing where the competitors could have been better is graphics, but it requires lots of things (HDTV surge, interest in HD surge, expensive furnitures, ...), that make this advantage a niche, and thus a completely inexistant advantage in the end.
Even the Wii online is superior in every single way to both PS3 and XB360, but even here people are unable to see it, and are saying the exact contrary.

The Wii is just superior, but the problem is that lots of people, competitors included, are completely unable to see it, being shut in a very shallow and tiny vision of reality. People and competitors stuck in technology, and believing that consoles are a technology product, are just plain fooling themselves.

That's not because some people with sense didn't tell them. But they just won't listen and stubbornly continue in their flawed view instead of evolving. Well, too bad for them. That's also why I realised little after the launch of the Wii, that the competitors just couldn't see the danger it represented, just how it was going to fly past them without them realising.

All it takes is changing from a flawed metrics (technology) to the real one (entertainment), but it seems like very hard to do for most people.

Once you understand the Wii is vastly superior to both its competitors, the OP article doesn't make sense anymore, as everything is wrong in it.

whats an "expensive furniture"? you can pretty much prop any LCD TV on the same TV stand where a CRT stood.

have you heard of the wii "friend list system", the game code system, the horrible connect/lag in smash brawl?

IF ive ever heard a stupid argument to support the wii yours would be it.. the wii is fun and has good motion controls and good nintendo titles and some third part titles. full stop

It doesnt have better online, or better graphics or better gameplay for every game( tried steering with the wiimote or fighting with smash bros? the GC pad is much more superior) but its still a fun console.

I'm sorry for you that you don't realise, like lots of people, that the Wii online is superior, that the Wii gameplay is superior too. Especially gameplay makes me recall discussions I had more than 10 years ago with PC fans, on why consoles gameplay was superior to PC, making graphics irrelevant. They wouldn't listen or even try to understand, so I don't expect you to understand either.

Basic logic would lead anyone to understand that saying "the Wii is inferior" is wrong, given the facts. But most don't want to go into rationality, and prefer to stay in their pipe dream, because if they try to be logical, they'll be admitting the Wii superiority went far above their head and they were too dumb to understand it.

I have heard about "friend list system". Actually, the only time I heard of it, was negatively, and talked about by people who *gasp* don't want to use it and use it as a scapegoat, hardlycore gamers most of the time. See where the problem is?

Let me reveal it to you: the vast minority of people that blame "friend list system" just don't use it. The far higher lot of people using it never complain. People that complain shut themselves off in a world that is far distant from reality.

For example, that Wii online is far more than "friend list system", game code or SMBB lag. But the Wii online is actually so seamless that most people don't even realise it's there. That's how powerful it is: it's natural and friendly.

The Wii is amazing because it's actually useful in itself, without games.

So I'll stay with my initial opinion that the Wii is the far superior console if you only talk about online, graphics and accessibility. The only doubt I had was if Nintendo would manage to convey this to customers, who would have to feel it rather than understand it.

Also, if you don't even know that taking advantage of both Wii competitors' consoles is expensive, I can't do anything for you.

Most households don't have a big (40"+) 1080p HDTV, you know, where it will make a difference.

Most don't even have an audio/video amplifier able to even decode Dolby Digital, and the at least 6 good speakers going with them, so that you can at least make a difference between high bitrate DTS and Dolby Surround II.

Even with all this, I can clearly say the Wii is the one taking the most advantage of surround sound and graphics into just its interface.

sigh here we go again..

To a gamer, an online system in a console pertains to games- not to weather channels or world news or an opera browser(which you have to pay for).These are all nice added extras but dont mean jack if the core gameplay does not work. The whole point of internet gameplay is that you can play with your friends or strangers around the world, anytime. The wii FAILS on this front. The friend system makes it hard to search/voice chat in games or even type custom messages during gameplay. There is no way you can add new people to your friends list, unless they already know you,which pretty much means you have to rely on the current friends you have to own a wii and play with you or go online on third party websites and find people who have registered themselves in order to play with someone.. yes thats HOW NATURAL AND FRIENDLY IT IS..

i have to use a PC in order to get the best functioning out of wii online!

PSN is free and is far superior to wii's online service..

Most households don't have a big (40"+) 1080p HDTV:

Im gonna go on a limb here and say you dont own a HDTV otherwise you wouldnt make such an ignorant statement. Anything above 26" is good enough to enjoy 720p and above 32-37" to enjoy 1080p for console HD gaming..you dont need to go all the way to 1080p 720p/1080i are almost as good and far far superior to 480i/p

Again when you say most households dont own HDTV's.. you dont have numbers to back you up>

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/07/19/50-million-american-homes-to-house-hdtvs-by-2008/

Thats 50 million sets in america alone.. now add up the rest of the world and you can safely multiply that figure by  atleast 4.

The 360 and ps3 can be played on non HD TV's and still look superior to the wii

The wii is useful without games...

hell the ps3 is even more useful.. you can use it as a DVR(EUR), it plays blu ray movies, has media slots, can store music,play video.. wow thats hardly anything!

Most people may not have a dolby HD decoder but they do have a standard dolby digital decoder which was the standard set by DVD over 11 years ago. yes 5.1 is far far superior to stereo sound and is far more engrossing.

I admire your appreciation for the wii, i love mine but not enough to blindly pray to it.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

I want that 3 minutes of my life back!

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Lol, a no-name website trying to get hits.

Hook, line and sinker.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

kingofwale said:
I have an similar question.

why is the inferior Ipod so popular?

So much restrictions with Ipod (less format supported) vs other MP3 Players.

let's not even get started with its pricing.

but why is it the best selling MP3 players????

It's a status symbol.  It's known to be a high quality product (even if not the best).  It can easily be identified with the white headphones.  All the other mp3 players get lumped together by looking at the headphones, and could be a radio for all you know without looking at them.  Celeberties have been seen in public with them.

You see white headphones in a movie, you know it's an ipod.  It's all viral.

@arsenicazure: By stating the obvious, that the non-gaming related online doesn't interest gamers, you actually are explaining where PS3 fails hard, since it can be extended outside online. By the way, why did you mention the in-game voice/text chat? It's not a gaming feature and therefore people aren't interested in it.

As for Wiis online, Wii has a different approach than the competition. When there's 360 online and 360 offline, PS3 online and PS3 offline, the same split doesn't work with Wii, there's no Wii online or Wii offline, there's only Wii. As someone stated, it's seamless experience. And don't forget WiiConnect24.

As for the HDTV:s, was that the number of them in the kids rooms? That's where the majority of the consoles have traditionally ended. And the same goes for audio systems.

PS3 has a number of extra functionalities, but they're something that increases the cost of the console, Wiis functionalities are what could be added without additional cost and Wiis functionalities have a more "purposeful" perception.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

thansk for teh warning sqrl i can skip right to these

more animals

Lol at sqrl friendly warning. not sure if I can be bothered to read this now. Will look around to see if there is anything more interesting on the site and if not will come back to read it.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down