By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the Wii wins-- From a lefty's point of view

To start off, if you hadn't guessed from the title, I'm left handed and gaming can be a bit of a pain sometimes.  When I game on PC, I can't use WSAD and mapping everything to the arrow keys or numpad just sucks something (especially for a game like FEAR which needs a lot of buttons) and then there were games like Starcraft that make my right hand move back and forth using hot keys and wastes some time.  All in all, PC gaming is hard for left handers but feels the best since you get to aim with your left hand.  For consoles, it's not as bad but you're still using your left hand to move and right hand to aim which doesn't always feel natural to a lefty even after years of having it that way.

When I first got my Wii, I would play with the remote in my right hand and nunchuck in the left thinking it would be awkward to do the reverse and continued to do that until RE4.  With RE4, I finally put the remote in my left hand (don't ask me why it took so long to try that with a nunchuck/remote game) it just couldn't feel more natural to me.  

It just feels so great to finally move my character with my right hand and use my left for aiming like I do on PC.  I tried this again on Mario Strikers Charged and once again it just felt great.  I went back later and played some Gears of War with some buddies and using my left hand for movement and right for aiming just went back to clunky.  Even with Zelda I went back and played some more left handed and it just felt so much better.

So yeah, being left handed means you should love the Wii.  This may have been said before, whatever, this little tidbit just makes me like the Wii so much more.  I finally get a console game that movement in 3D space just feels so much more natural.

Around the Network

... I'm left handed and I've always used a mouse/analog aiming right handed. Maybe I'm more dexterous than you. I also think the Wiimote is sometimes trashy for left handed play. Not primarily the games like RE4, but for the ones like Mario Party 8, Super Paper Mario, etc, where you have to use the Wiimote sideways. The wrist strap can't go on a left persons hand and be held sideways, and there's no sense putting the strap on your right hand, and then switching back to your left. It's probably not even worth Nintendo's time to make a left handed strap revision for the Wiimote, so I guess I'm stuck throwing my wiimote around :P

Come to think of it, two of the guys I know with Wiis are southpaws. One of them I don't even know was left handed until I saw him wield a Wiimote.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Well, I'm pretty sure you can remap your mouse (as well as getting a mouse that isn't made for the right hand) to fit the other hand as well as using a different area of the keyboard, maybe J,K,L, and I?

Anyway, I guess that's why I played a musical instrument for 7 years while I went through junior high and high school. I'm a right handed person and I write with my right hand, but I can do all the complicated stuff like playing Guitar Hero as well as being able to play with a keyboard and mouse configuration.

whats a southpaw?

i thought similar thoughts, it can also add a challenge to a game you have completed, for instance i reckon im going to go left-handed for my next RE4 playthrough. and for games that dont require pointer functions [ssx blur], right-handed non-gamers like my dad seem to prefer the nunchuck in the right hand [main reason my dad didnt game before was because he couldnt control the stick with left hand... closely followed by his inability to press more than 2 buttons]
as for games that use the wiimote on its side, you wont be using wild movements so why is the strap needed.... although i guess marioparty is a game where you would be swapping so that might be awkward.

Around the Network

Very interesting.

Not that it's going to be a huge thing, but in godfather, when you punch with the left hand, the character on screen will punch with the right hand. :D

rubido said:
Very interesting.

Not that it's going to be a huge thing, but in godfather, when you punch with the left hand, the character on screen will punch with the right hand. :D

That would be annoying for me. Now, if I held a party themed 'Opposite Day', who knows.

Ahhh I´m not th eonly one who noticed that

Great Twestern! Take a cookie!

IllegalPaladin said:
rubido said:
Very interesting.

That would be annoying for me. Now, if I held a party themed 'Opposite Day', who knows.

It actually hasn't bothered me in a game yet, though I originally thought it would (which is why I took so long trying a game left handed).  

I'm left handed, but my mouse is on the right side of the computer, and on Zelda TP for Wii I found that the hardest to use being a lefty, I refused to give in and use my right hand as the sword until later on.