By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How many 360/Wii owners would sell their Wii if Newton was released?

halogamer1989 said:
@ Rubang Computational power, GPU, CPU, and other hardware advances. When you revolutionize in HW it is about making substantial gains and not just having a GC 1.75 in terms of raw power from the predecessor.

gains in CPU and GPU power are not revolution though, thats called progress, i take it we see revolution every year then since intel, invida and ati release new cpu gpu every year, each one more powerful than the before.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:
@ Rubang Computational power, GPU, CPU, and other hardware advances. When you revolutionize in HW it is about making substantial gains and not just having a GC 1.75 in terms of raw power from the predecessor.

No. The size of the gain has nothing to do with it. It's the changing of thinking behind it that is the revolution. A multicore processor is somewhat of a revolution, while a 2 core to an 8 core is an evolution.

This is invisible text!

halogamer1989 said:
@Vlad for me it is the titles and the capabilities. I understand more than the average person the game dev perspective of the Xbox vs PS3 vs Wii and I like the development ease of the X360 more+XNA. It just is a better platform imo. That said, I might just buy a Wii HD next go round but I believe that it is an evolution of the Wii and consoles should not be that. They should revolutionize the capabilities of what came before them. Xbox to X360 or PS2 to PS3.

Holy Crap! My PC is revolutionizing every few months!

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

I didn't get a Wii too play any of the MOTION POWER WII OMG games so I wouldn't. And I need it to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom anyways.

I see your point then killer. It is always revolution vs evolution when it comes to chipsets and tech. The Wii was originally the Nintendo Revolution btw so I guess in their minds it was revolutionary from a control standpoint. I tend to look at the leaps in raw horsepower and the Wii didn't make that much of a jump from the GC.

edit:  But this argument over this whole Newton thing is coming from hardcore gamers on VGC.  What is the truth, though, is how many would buy into a Wii to 360 given a casual viewpoint--Ninty's key audience-- kids and older folks would not mind so much if it had the same stuff but on a different platform--look Mom the grafx are better--ooh  ahhh and gimme...

Around the Network

A 360 with a Newton would basically make the Wii inferior in every possible way hardware wise. Add in the far superior online of the 360 and it would be hard for anyone to argue why any third party game would be better on the Wii than on the 360.

I think it would be interesting to see what some Wii, and a few PC, fanboys that continually praise the Wii's motion controls and bash gamepads would do if it were to happen. I'm sure we would see a lot of hypocrites.

halogamer1989 said:

I see your point then killer. It is always revolution vs evolution when it comes to chipsets and tech. The Wii was originally the Nintendo Revolution btw so I guess in their minds it was revolutionary from a control standpoint. I tend to look at the leaps in raw horsepower and the Wii didn't make that much of a jump from the GC.

edit:  But this argument over this whole Newton thing is coming from hardcore gamers on VGC.  What is the truth, though, is how many would buy into a Wii to 360 given a casual viewpoint--Ninty's key audience-- kids and older folks would not mind so much if it had the same stuff but on a different platform--look Mom the grafx are better--ooh  ahhh and gimme...

My entire point with my first post was that Nintendo has the biggest system sellers and THE biggest franchise this generation. Things may change next generation, but for now, I hardly believe that anything could touch the Wii games in terms of sales, system selling capabilities or brand recognition. Which is basically what the Wii is selling on now.

It would take a lot for that controller, which me being somewhat knowledgable about the gaming scene knows very little about, to reach out and sway the people that now sees 'Wii' as equal to 'Fun'.

EDIT: There are, according to VGchartz, around 72 million Wii games out there this generation. That is more than any other brand this generation. Add to that the console name, and you have one heck of a brand.

A short comparison:

Mario: 330+ million
Pokemon: 160+ million
The Sims: 100+ million
Grand Theft Auto: 80+ million
Wii: ~72 million
Gran Turismo: ~50 million
Halo: ~25 Million

Naturally, I'm not 100% sure about these numbers, but it gives you a pretty good idea. These are some of the strongest brands out there, and Wii is quickly becoming one of the biggest ever. By January, it will have passed Grand Theft Auto.

This is invisible text!

People buy consoles for games why would I care if a few 360 games had motion control?

Former something....

Legend11 said:
A 360 with a Newton would basically make the Wii inferior in every possible way hardware wise. Add in the far superior online of the 360 and it would be hard for anyone to argue why any third party game would be better on the Wii than on the 360.

I think it would be interesting to see what some Wii, and a few PC, fanboys that continually praise the Wii's motion controls and bash gamepads would do if it were to happen. I'm sure we would see a lot of hypocrites.

just like some fanboys that are hoping for some magical wii like controller while still hating wii controls?

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Cougarman said:
Legend11 said:

just like some fanboys that are hoping for some magical wii like controller while still hating wii controls?

I don't care for the wii's controls but I would still take a similar controller for strategy (and some adventure) games over the gamepad.  I think the mouse and keyboard are superior to both but I prefer those in a desk setting as opposed to using them while sitting on a couch.