By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How many 360/Wii owners would sell their Wii if Newton was released?

Fair assumption, could be and it couldn't be. What happens when the next console has HD graphics and online capabilities, why would you bother owning an Xbox then?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:
@Xponent yeah those two are for the part titles and arcade like respectively, but they are put aside once beaten (my roommates have MKWii and they have not played it in months). Not to say that they are the general public but it just goes to say that the majority of really good Ninty titles are 1st party--this needs to change.

Why does this only come up when it comes to Nintendo games? Like Wii Fit. Who ever thought that anyone would be playing Wii Fit a year after its release? And if you do, how many games you buy do you play regularly months after buying them?

Phrases I never heard: I haven't played Mass Effect in months!
It's been 3 years since I last touched my Final Fantasy X copy.
Far Cry 2 has been gathering dust in my refridgerator since I completed it.

The only games I have been ever actively playing more than 6 months after buying all starts with Guitar and ends with Hero and possibly a number.

So why is this only mentioned with nintendo-games?

This is invisible text!

@Vlad for me it is the titles and the capabilities. I understand more than the average person the game dev perspective of the Xbox vs PS3 vs Wii and I like the development ease of the X360 more+XNA. It just is a better platform imo. That said, I might just buy a Wii HD next go round but I believe that it is an evolution of the Wii and consoles should not be that. They should revolutionize the capabilities of what came before them. Xbox to X360 or PS2 to PS3.

tehsage said:

halogamer1989 said:
Cougarman said:
halogamer1989 said:

Newton the motion control 360 controller... I think it would pretty much leave the Wii dead in the water besides casual Mario and 3rd party titles.

are you saying newton will beat wiimote without 3rd party support?

No. I am saying Nintendo has good titles that sell but they are mainly first party ones. MSFT has better sales for both first and third party sales. A motion control system would benefit MSFT by swinging some of that potential audience their way. Unfortunately, I do not expect to see this until the 720.

Then explain why Wii software sales are much greater than 360 software sales. Also, what first party?

Yeah I wonder where he gets his data, considering in the real world Nintendo is selling more games than everybody else, and some weeks they're selling more games than everybody else combined.

I think you'd have more people selling their 360's, really. ;>

Around the Network
Xponent said:
Devise01 said:

I already sold my Wii. The control scheme bores me. It's not for me, but obviously many people do enjoy it.

I think if Netwon was released it would take some marketshare away from Nintendo. Nintendo's first party mario games didn't attract the casuals in mass last generation. If you have a cheaper console with better graphics and the same/similar feature set, which one do honestly think they'll choose?

Easy, they'll choose the console with the games that best cater to their tastes. MS just don't know how to make casual games very well. Neither do Rare. Nintendo on the other hand are the undisputed kings of casual gaming.

Wii Sports is the main game that is selling the Wii to the casuals. I dont think it's a very hard game to replicate.

@Devise yeah and as for the data, the pack in "sales" help too.

halogamer1989 said:
@Vlad for me it is the titles and the capabilities. I understand more than the average person the game dev perspective of the Xbox vs PS3 vs Wii and I like the development ease of the X360 more+XNA. It just is a better platform imo. That said, I might just buy a Wii HD next go round but I believe that it is an evolution of the Wii and consoles should not be that. They should revolutionize the capabilities of what came before them. Xbox to X360 or PS2 to PS3.

You seriously believe that the 360 is a revolution when compared with the XBox, the PS3 is a revolution when compared with the PS2, and a hypothetical Wii HD that adds nothing but HD visuals and more horsepower would not be a revolution when compared with the Wii?

That was the most self-defeating statement I've seen on here in a long time.

@ Rubang Computational power, GPU, CPU, and other hardware advances. When you revolutionize in HW it is about making substantial gains and not just having a GC 1.75 in terms of raw power from the predecessor.

halogamer1989 said:

I'm sorry, I think you're going to have to look up the word 'revolution' in a dictionary.

From WikiAnswers: "a drastic and far-reaching change in ways of thinking and behaving"

Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 both rely on the exact same behaviour and thinking as the previous iterations. They were not revolutions, but evolutions. If you're thinking otherwise, you're wrong.

This is invisible text!