By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How many 360/Wii owners would sell their Wii if Newton was released?

Devise01 said:
Xponent said:
Devise01 said:

I already sold my Wii. The control scheme bores me. It's not for me, but obviously many people do enjoy it.

I think if Netwon was released it would take some marketshare away from Nintendo. Nintendo's first party mario games didn't attract the casuals in mass last generation. If you have a cheaper console with better graphics and the same/similar feature set, which one do honestly think they'll choose?

Easy, they'll choose the console with the games that best cater to their tastes. MS just don't know how to make casual games very well. Neither do Rare. Nintendo on the other hand are the undisputed kings of casual gaming.

Wii Sports is the main game that is selling the Wii to the casuals. I dont think it's a very hard game to replicate.

Blatant copying is not the answer. Look at the copycat training, minigame and pet games that have emerged in the wake of games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Training and Nintendogs. These bandwagon titles are all inferior both in quality and sales. It's not as easy to replicate this success as you imply, otherwise it would have been done already.

Consistently creating new IP's with tremendous appeal to the casual audience takes innovation and imagination, something Microsoft lacks. I wouldn't be surprised if they copied Wii Sports, given their tendency to follow rather than lead, but it certainly wouldn't be as successful.

Around the Network

I have to laugh at those who downplay the Wii's motion controls as if they're not responsible for the Wii's success. All those core Nintendo games couldn't stop the PS1 and PS2 from dominating so they're not responsible for the Wii's current level of success.

Are we supposed to believe that Wii Sports without motion controls would actually be the hit it is now? That the console would have been featured on Oprah or would be a hit in so many circles and with traditional non-gamers without motion controls? Anyone that believes that is just kidding themselves.

The point is, no. The controller would not beat the Wii, to think otherwise is complete fail

It's just another way for an Xbox fanboy, like yourself. To say "Hey l00k AT M3 I got n3w control too"

Haha, this is a joke. Completely. Newton would not even phase the Wii, and if it would. I doubt Microsoft would even hesitate to release it.

Old Brawl code..ask for my new one..

Legend11 said:

I have to laugh at those who downplay the Wii's motion controls as if they're not responsible for the Wii's success. All those core Nintendo games couldn't stop the PS1 and PS2 from dominating so they're not responsible for the Wii's current level of success.

Are we supposed to believe that Wii Sports without motion controls would actually be the hit it is now? That the console would have been featured on Oprah or would be a hit in so many circles and with traditional non-gamers without motion controls? Anyone that believes that is just kidding themselves.

Sigh. The point is Legend, motion controls alone is only part of the equation. More importantly, you need quality software to exploit the hardware in a way that appeals to a wide audience. Nintendo have shown time and time again that they are without peer at making casual games. Microsoft need to do more than just create the hardware, its all about the games.

And not all successful Wii games rely on motion controls. Take Wii Fit for instance. 

Legend11 said:

The reason for the success isn't the controls themselves, but the different approach to gaming. The controls are only a part - a very important part - of the reson for the success. If you tell yourself otherwise, you need to really take a look at the games and ask yourself why noone has ever done the same thing before.

This is invisible text!

Around the Network

All it would take is a few things to come together and the 360 could greatly expand its installed base. If a game came out for all audiences that defined the Newton much like Halo defined the original Xbox for core gamers it would likely change the current landscape for videogames.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's going to happen (at least not this generation), but it's not impossible.

This is all assuming that Nintendo are just going to stand there without continuing to innovate. IMO, it's not enough to simply copy the opposition. Microsoft need to think more radically and forge new ground themselves. By simply copying what's already been done before they will always be behind the eight ball.

LOL!

Halogamer, you are yet to learn why Nintendo won the console war

Legend11 said:
All it would take is a few things to come together and the 360 could greatly expand its installed base. If a game came out for all audiences that defined the Newton much like Halo defined the original Xbox for core gamers it would likely change the current landscape for videogames.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's going to happen (at least not this generation), but it's not impossible.

No. One game wouldn't be enough. They would need a complete rebranding of the console image and at least 2-3 games of Wii-brand calibre for there to be any effect. It COULD happen, but it won't. The inertia of a changing a brand as big as xbox is too big for Microsoft to want to go down that lane.

The best they could hope to achieve, in my opinion, is to add additional values to the brand. But this would not necessarily go down well with consumers, and could even hurt it in the end.

This is invisible text!

Killergran said:
Legend11 said:

No. One game wouldn't be enough. They would need a complete rebranding of the console image and at least 2-3 games of Wii-brand calibre for there to be any effect. It COULD happen, but it won't. The inertia of a changing a brand as big as xbox is too big for Microsoft to want to go down that lane.

The best they could hope to achieve, in my opinion, is to add additional values to the brand. But this would not necessarily go down well with consumers, and could even hurt it in the end.

Wii Sports alone was enough to push the Wii to heights that all the core Nintendo games couldn't do for the Gamecube.  Sometimes all it takes is one game to lead the charge for everyone else to follow.

As for Microsoft changing the image of the 360 they're already doing it.  Take Japan for example, the change in views for the system has been dramatic.  The same is true to a lesser extent in Europe.