By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony stepping up the plate in 2009

CaptDS9E said:

Halo is a beast, add this one is at budget price it will sell very well but come on, Killzone 2 is going to sell very nicely to say the least. The thing Sony are doing next year compared to this year is releasing games for established franchises:

GT5 which MS has no anser to, please dont say Forza as the sales just dont compare

As I said GT4 sold double Forza 2's numbers mostly because of Europe. The number could shrink a bit, but GT will still sell better

-Halo 3 numbers are due to NA, dont see your point

FFXIII in Japan...nuff said  

The other two big markets don't count?

-Nope, not for a FF game where over half the sales are in Japan alone

Killzone 2 - Hype alone will have this game sell millions

Wasn't the same thing said about Resistance 2? 

- Only hardcore fanboys would say such a thing, R2 cant even hold a candle to KZ2 in terms of hype and qality having played the Beta

GOW 3 - Nuff said

GOW2  sold over 2 million copies and is a great game. Then again so did Mass Effect the same year only 8 months later on a smaller install base. Other games can sell just as well as God of War

- Learn about markey saturation, install base =/= sales

Heavy Rain - I dont think that one has to sell huge numbers, dont think it cost a bundle to make

Think it will sell a bit 

- Think it will not break 500k

Uncharted 2 - Should sell a million easily, first did 2 million after all

Agreed, and my favorite PS3 franchise

MAG - meh but it is a Zipper Interactive game, add SOCOM to the title and bang you have yourself a million seller

Halo Wars, Splinter Cell, Star Ocean will probably hit a million also if they are good as we think they will

- Halo will, SC will, SO4 most definitely not looking at how JRPG have been adopted by those outside of Japan on the 360.

Just looking at the numbers here. Both systems look matched to have great software sales in 09

Disagree a lot with you, PS3 lineup blows away the 360 one by an absolute landslide

Around the Network

Well I disagree with you saying it blows it away. I think its about equal next year. Then again that's why everyone has an opinion, and I find it funny I think its even, and I'm called a fanboy for it. 

Neoraf said:

The momentum is in Microsoft Hands.

When Sony will cut the prices... do you believe Microsoft will sit and stare?
Microsoft will probably cut another 100$ on Elites, and will replace Arcade by the Pro(60gb) at 199$.

Who knows what they will do.... One things for sure, they need to have a price substantially lower than PS3's lowest priced SKU..... MS's major sales weren't until they were 200$ lower.... Not only that but at the 200$ sweet spot.

Xbox Live is the online service of choice For some.
A true social phenomenon. What?? OH PUH-LEAZ... It all depends on what X person wants.... Pure and simple.

With all the big 2009 games for Microsoft (Mass Effect 2, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Star Ocean 4, Halo3 ODST, GTA4 Lost and Damned, Ninja Blade, name it...), I don't know how Sony can gain ground...

Of course SONY Can't gain ground, MS are the ones with all the major exclusives. Everyone knows that Killzone 2, White Knight Chronicles, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain, Quantom Theory, InFamous, Uncharted 2: Among Theives, The Agency, BlazBlue, MAG, WarDevil, Way of the Samurai 3, Yakuza 3 and DC Universe are all games that just simply don't exist and aren't really in development for 2009.....

4 ≈ One

RPG said:
misterd said:
RPG said:
misterd said:
RPG said:

Remember this?

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=50108

Uncharted 2 has been announced and see absolutely no reason why other other things mentioned in that article cannot be true. This means motorstorm and LBP for PSP, Uncharted 2, GOW 3 looking amazing and most importantly for sales the price cut is coming. So with that it's prediction time, how do you think the price cut will affect sales? I think it entirely depends on this size of the price cut, £50 will give a very nice jump but £100 is going to really test the 360. The latter seems very unlikely but a price cut is a price cut, with the great software also coming for PSP and PS3 Sony look to be fighting with all there might. With the PSP also getting all that Square Enix love that should also start shifting software, shame on anyone who pirates PSP games. -_-

Yes I admit I am one of those people that believe that when the PS3 drops $100 the 360 will not stand a chance, so many reasons I think why that will be the case but not going to bother delving into that.

It took EIGHT YEARS for the $300 PS2 to drop to $100. How many more years do you think it'll take the $400 PS3 to hit your magical price point? Do you think anyone will even be paying attention at that point?

PS2 was like the Wii, sold so awesome is just did not need a price cut. The console needs to drop another $100 and after that no matter what happens Sony should stick with that price as well that is great value for your money. With the software added to that price I have no doubt the PS3 will rake in huge numbers.

Sorry - my error. I misread "drops $100" as "drops to $100". Slight difference there.

I don't know if just $100 will do it (to $300/400) - it may need to go even lower, especially with sub $200 BR players on the market next year, and likely another 360 drop before the holidays.

As long as Sony can keep 3rd parties on board (and it should, as the 360 ain't running away with them), there should be no reason it can't have a bit of a comeback before the next gen hits. I still am not sure that it will best 360 sales prior to 2011, but at this point a strong finish is more important so Sony can salvage its rep for the next generation.

What has helped Sony a LOT is nothing other then first party devs which they have. If they did not have them imagine the situation which the PS3 would be in now, would be completely ruined. Sony continue to get 3rd party support where exclusives are very rare yet have over 15 internal studios to churn out exclusives for them.

Gotta say it though, so many people call the PS3 a failure this generation yet the console has sold 17 million while the 360 has sold 8 million more after being releases a year longer. The future just looks bright for PS3 IMO, they can still do so much with exclusives and price.

There is no small irony in this, given the 2(3?)-generation criticism that the only thing keeping Nintendo afloat was its own 1st party titles.

And while the future is looking brighter for Sony, let's not whitewash what they have done - they pissed away every penny made by the PS1 and PS2 over the previous decade, and ceded leadership of the market to their rivals. I don't know that Sony could have stopped the Wii, but they sure as hell could have kept MS from increasing their marketshare.

At this point the clock is winding down on this generation. Sony's 10 year plan is meaningless - when they lost their leadship position they also lost their ability to control the next generation. When the 360 launched, the "next gen" hadn't arrived because the PS2 was still going strong (and even 360 games were still being tailored to the PS2). Now, the "Next Gen" will begin when Nintendo says so, and they won't wait for Sony to gather strength.

I still think Sony has 2 years, 3 tops, before the next consoles arrive and render the PS3 meaningless. That's not nearly enough time to recapture the lead, and may not even be enough time to catch the 360. 

Unfortunately this years rationalization is more concocted then last years rationalization primarily due to the undeniable fact that this year the PS3 had greater advantages then it will have next year. When the console could not win at its very best. Then it is highly unlikely to win when the competition is at its very best.

Microsoft has and will have the superior price point, and more so will be affordable to a larger cross section of the public. Vastly more consumers can purchase a two hundred dollar console then a four hundred dollar console, and more to the point the 360 due to its varying model system has a robust second hand market.

Microsoft had a first party lull this year which is not going to repeat next year. Yes Microsoft had a great many third party exclusives, but that is not the same as internally developed titles, or second party exclusives. Already we have reason to believe there will be a plethora. At least one from Bungie, one from Lionhead, Four from Rare, one from Ensemble, and one from Mistwalker. That is some serious delivery on tap for next year, and it can go higher.

Microsoft likes to purchase third party exclusives. I find it hard to stomach how recently in these debates this little detail that was once a crime against humanity has somehow disappeared from the debate. We talk about price, because that is what the Sony zealots want. Right now for them it is all about the price. At one time it was money hatting, and now its predatory pricing. Whether you like it or not Microsoft does get more then its fair share of third party exclusives. That is not going to change next year. That was a major factor this year for Microsoft's success. Those third party exclusives they bankrolled paid out for them. Yes Microsoft is going to buy third party exclusives next year. Something Sony has been resistant to doing.

Finally Microsoft has both momentum and dominance. That imparts two advantages that the 360 has not enjoyed in this console war. They have always held dominance, but never did they hold both it and momentum. That puts pressure on Sony. When your selling even if you do not have the most consoles out you are given some leeway. When you are not selling, and you are in the third place position you will be treated by the retail chain accordingly. The PS3 was making headway on shelves this year, but if the 360 is doubling sales there is little doubt retailers will give greater love to the 360. Giving it more shelf space, and more special offers.

To keep it short and sweet the PS3 is worse off in the upcoming year then it was this year. In fact it has almost no advantage to draw upon outside of name recognition which isn't changing the situation now anyway. So how can the PS3 do better for being worse?

Around the Network

m$ doesn't have gran turismo or a first party line up like ps3 have 2009 yet.

they have only one more game in japan star ocean 4 which likely get ported.

i doubt it will sell mainly on multiplatforms. but the price may affect that.

sony got a alot better first party line up no matter how i try to look at it they just do, a price cut should have a bigger effect on the ps3 than 360 had this year.

Neoraf said:

The momentum is in Microsoft Hands.

When Sony will cut the prices... do you believe Microsoft will sit and stare?
Microsoft will probably cut another 100$ on Elites, and will replace Arcade by the Pro(60gb) at 199$.

Xbox Live is the online service of choice.
A true social phenomenon.

With all the big 2009 games for Microsoft (Mass Effect 2, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Star Ocean 4, Halo3 ODST expansion, GTA4 Lost and Damned DLC, Ninja Blade, name it...), I don't know how Sony can gain ground...

For once, I think it's apparent that the PS3 has a bigger lineup for next year. KZ2, GoW3, FF13 and Versus 13 in Japan, Uncharted 2, the next R&C, Heavy Rain, LA Noire (it's made by Rockstar, it has to be good), inFamous, MAG, Twisted Metal, and of course Gran Turismo 5.

I agree, Sony is really stepping up its game next year.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Sony Fanboys always say:
Just wait...

"Wait until..."
"Next year its gonna..."
"The future looks good..."
"I CAN'T WAIT to..."

Big difference:
We enjoy the present.
You hope for something to change.

Last year, over the same period, the PS3Fanboys were saying: "Wait till 2008!! It will fuckin be year of the PS3!!! The game lineup is far superior from the competition! PS3 will rule all!"

Same thing year over year.
Get real.

Microsoft brings the goods each time. They don't need to unveil all their games 1 year early, unlike Sony.
Look at Gears2:
Unveiled in February 2008.
Released in November 2008.

It must be painful to be a Sony fan.
Always hoping for a brighter future.

My Gaming Setup

Neoraf, who is saying the PS3 did not have a good year this year? It is possible to have 2 great years in a row, just ask the PS2. :D I never say "year of x" without thinking that is the case and fact of that matter is that MS has no answer to all those 09 PS3 exclusives.

I never said the PS3 didn't have a great year (gamewise).
The fact is, the Xbox360 and the Playstation3 both had a wonderful year (in terms of games).

However, the Xbox360 has two achievements this year (Awesome game releases + Commercial success and Momentum gain).

The PS3 is the loser of the year if we look closely.
2008 was a sad year for PS3Fanboys:

End of the Backward Compatibility on PS3
No DLC on GTA4
Tekken going multiplat
No DLC on Fallout3
Final Fantasy 13 going multiplat
Home is nowhere to be found in 2008 (supposed to be a 2006 launch app)
Weak Implementation of Trophies
Sony Playstation Division banking huge loss all over the year

...and I'm sure to forget some other sad 2008 events...
(Please help me if you find them)

Was it a great year for Sony?

My Gaming Setup