By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony stepping up the plate in 2009

Remember this?

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=50108

Uncharted 2 has been announced and see absolutely no reason why other other things mentioned in that article cannot be true. This means motorstorm and LBP for PSP, Uncharted 2, GOW 3 looking amazing and most importantly for sales the price cut is coming. So with that it's prediction time, how do you think the price cut will affect sales? I think it entirely depends on this size of the price cut, £50 will give a very nice jump but £100 is going to really test the 360. The latter seems very unlikely but a price cut is a price cut, with the great software also coming for PSP and PS3 Sony look to be fighting with all there might. With the PSP also getting all that Square Enix love that should also start shifting software, shame on anyone who pirates PSP games. -_-

Yes I admit I am one of those people that believe that when the PS3 drops $100 the 360 will not stand a chance, so many reasons I think why that will be the case but not going to bother delving into that.

Around the Network

2009 year of the PS3...........*runs away*

all depends on the competition. i mean start of 08 you look at PS3 and go'well they got LBP, MGS4, R2, motorstorm 2, itll be amazing. But then microsoft had came in with Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and pricecut. and nintnedo came in with SSBB, mario kart wii and wii fit.

so yea you have huge titles like GOW3,K2,GT5, Uncharted 2 all combined with a price cut. the sucess of this depends on what nintendo and microsoft do to counter this

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

The momentum is in Microsoft Hands.

When Sony will cut the prices... do you believe Microsoft will sit and stare?
Microsoft will probably cut another 100$ on Elites, and will replace Arcade by the Pro(60gb) at 199$.

Xbox Live is the online service of choice.
A true social phenomenon.

With all the big 2009 games for Microsoft (Mass Effect 2, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Star Ocean 4, Halo3 ODST, GTA4 Lost and Damned, Ninja Blade, name it...), I don't know how Sony can gain ground...

My Gaming Setup

Yea, year of the PS3 just didn't happen this year. You could see the same repeat next year because we really do not have much a feel of what MS will reveal for next year as the same was true last year. Looking forward to Uncharted 2. If they can get GT5 out WW by the end of next year that would help(Then again MS could try to put up Forza 3 at the same time to compete directly). If SE can get FF XIII out in Japan by year end that would help. KZ2 should do well, but I would imagine GOW3 will be a spring 2010 release. Price cut needs to be timely on Sony's part because it will probably be the only one all year and MS could again cut the price of the Pro SKU right before the key holiday season.

Around the Network

good call by woopah. It depends greatly on how MS and Ninty perform.

I know this sounds stupid, but if theres ever a year of the PS3 its 2009.

I don't think 360 can really afford to go below $200 in 2009. Wii could easily drop to $200 whenever they want.

As for games I think PS3 dominates 2009.

Playstation 3 owner since December 25th, 2006

yeah ps3 will have good games, but then again so will 360 and Wii

Neoraf said:

The momentum is in Microsoft Hands.

When Sony will cut the prices... do you believe Microsoft will sit and stare?
Microsoft will probably cut another 100$ on Elites, and will replace Arcade by the Pro(60gb) at 199$.

==> I hope u are true and that MS will not reduce the Xbox360 under 150$ : this will allow good PS3 sales

Xbox Live is the online service of choice.
A true social phenomenon.

==> online is not mainstream so u can keep ur "social phenomenonon" in ur dream

Wii is one, NXE is not.

With all the big 2009 games for Microsoft (Mass Effect 2, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Star Ocean 4, Halo3 ODST, GTA4 Lost and Damned, Ninja Blade, name it...), I don't know how Sony can gain ground...

==> mostly multy plateform games, PC games, non event gaems or even old DLC

u just forgot the more improtant one : Forza3 that will MS to resist agaisnt GT5

Time to Work !

didnt u hear, the competition wont stand still.

SOny is stepping up ,its game, but MS and Nintendo will also.

KatinJin said:

Yea, year of the PS3 just didn't happen this year. You could see the same repeat next year because we really do not have much a feel of what MS will reveal for next year as the same was true last year. Looking forward to Uncharted 2. If they can get GT5 out WW by the end of next year that would help(Then again MS could try to put up Forza 3 at the same time to compete directly). If SE can get FF XIII out in Japan by year end that would help. KZ2 should do well, but I would imagine GOW3 will be a spring 2010 release. Price cut needs to be timely on Sony's part because it will probably be the only one all year and MS could again cut the price of the Pro SKU right before the key holiday season.

I think this year was very very good for the PS3, selling more then the 360 for more then hlf the year with that only changing with a big price cut. A console can have 2 great years straight ya know, PS2 had countless. :P

Software though, IF the games mentioned for 2009 released in 2009 for the life of me I cannot think of any game MS could release to combat those.