By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Is there any interest amongst Wii owners in doing a Secret Santa event?

Just like the thread topic says. Got the idea from NeoGAF. Essentially, trusted members who own a Wii can sign up to give (and receive!) a downloadable game to/from another member in their country. I think it'd be a nice touch for this site to have.

So, is there any interest in this idea? Or are we all just Scrooges at heart?

Around the Network

Gasp

I love this idea

I would participate

I would participate. Maybe have a minimum 1000 posts. Or something else to prevent cheating.

But yeah, they idea is awesome.

BengaBenga said:
I would participate. Maybe have a minimum 1000 posts. Or something else to prevent cheating.

In the Penny Arcade forums, the Secret Santa evet is pretty simple: you don't send a gift after you've signed up, and you're banned.

Forever.

Now I'm not saying that that's a necessary thing to do but I think it would add a nice layer of security in addition to the postcount minimum.

I don't mind doing it. The games are super cheap. I've already sent games to a few people around these parts just because that's the kind of guy I am. If you guys go with it, just let me know.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
BengaBenga said:

In the Penny Arcade forums, the Secret Santa evet is pretty simple: you don't send a gift after you've signed up, and you're banned.

Forever.

Now I'm not saying that that's a necessary thing to do but I think it would add a nice layer of security in addition to the postcount minimum.

The only problem I see is that it's quite easy to set up an alternate account here, so a permaban isn't all that big a punishment. Maybe we can have a voucher system, in which one or two other members have to vouch for you being trustworthy?  Although the minimum post thing is a good idea, even if 1000 seems a tad high. I'll think of something.

And glad to hear that there's some interest. I'll get the ball rolling next week, and we can send out our gifts about a week before Christmas.

I think this is a very cool idea, but what about the risk of giving someone a game he or she already owns?

Chrizum said:
I think this is a very cool idea, but what about the risk of giving someone a game he or she already owns?

You can't. You'll get a message that he/she already owns that game.

Alright. And what about price? Would it be possible to send someone a 500 point game and to receive a 1500 point game? 'Cause that would be somewhat unfair.

I'm thinking of asking people about how much they're willing to spend, and only assigning them someone who's roughly in the same range as they are. Otherwise, it would be unfair.