By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Is there any interest amongst Wii owners in doing a Secret Santa event?

I did this last year too. I'd be up for it again.

@Benga - I know you can do that in your region (IE: I'm in Canada but I can change mine to US to send gifts) but I doubt WW (So probably not US switch to UK)

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:

Would be awesome if possible. Can I just make my Wii American? And would I have access to the American VC as well then? And would I later be able to play an American game on my European Wii?

Otherwise two regions wouldn't be that much different (or 3 if we have Japanese members who want to participate).

Fairly sure that PAL Wii's can't gift NTSC Wii's, and vice versa. This came up when Naz won his beat against three or four other people about those Sonic Unleashed screenshots, and Rol couldn't honor it because it wouldn't let him gift to an American Wii even when Naz toyed with his regional settings.

I'm up for it.

I have an American Wii and price isn't an issue at all. I wouldn't be upset if I gave someone a gift that cost more than what I would receive.

I think the best organizational idea would be to set up this list by country, then you add the Wii code of everyone who is on your country's list. That way it's still anonymous up until the last second.

You can clear out your list again after that.

As to price? I think that, since these are games and wek now what we're getting into, we shouldn't worry about balance. Spend wat you can or what you want to - the risk is yours. The joy of giving, and so forth. So if you give someone World of Goo and in return you get Super Mario Bros. - well Hell, that's Super Mario Bros., quit your whining.

noname2200 said:
Khuutra said:
BengaBenga said:
I would participate. Maybe have a minimum 1000 posts. Or something else to prevent cheating.

But yeah, they idea is awesome.

In the Penny Arcade forums, the Secret Santa evet is pretty simple: you don't send a gift after you've signed up, and you're banned.

Forever.

Now I'm not saying that that's a necessary thing to do but I think it would add a nice layer of security in addition to the postcount minimum.

The only problem I see is that it's quite easy to set up an alternate account here, so a permaban isn't all that big a punishment. Maybe we can have a voucher system, in which one or two other members have to vouch for you being trustworthy?  Although the minimum post thing is a good idea, even if 1000 seems a tad high. I'll think of something.

And glad to hear that there's some interest. I'll get the ball rolling next week, and we can send out our gifts about a week before Christmas.

What a great idea :) We're doing a Secret Santa at work but I bet no-one will buy me a Wii game...

Only problem - I'm guessing that my tiny post count doesn’t inspire confidence :( Any (sensible) ideas about how I can prove my trustworthiness?!

-Fox

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 3308-4850-9342 / STEAM ID: makepeacefox

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

"Watchmen" is far better than The Dark Knight / Why does no-one own this wonderful game: Fragile Allegiance? / Speak (Type) Italian to me!

Disloyal member of the LFGM

Around the Network

I am down with the spirit of giving!

Canuckistani here. And I second the motion that price should be ignored. If you can only afford $5, then I'll just have to have $15 worth of fun with your gift!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Alright, sounds like most folks are okay with ignoring the price thing, and just giving and getting. Sounds good to me!

Does anyone know if you have to have a person's Wii Code entered on your console to receive a game from them? If not, it'll make things much easier.

@makepeacefox: Do you know anyone else who frequents the site and can vouch for you? If not, I'm personally willing to trust you anyhow, but in fairness to other members if any of them is uncomfortable with the idea, we'll have to come up with something else. Does that sound fair?

I'm also willing to trust by default.

I think a 100-post minimum might be more fair, since a lot of people tend to lurk.

I think guys with more than 20.000 posts should send games!!

Anyway I did that with post cards years ago but games hmm count me out =p.

^^' What are you going to do if a game get lost in the post?

konnichiwa said:
I think guys with more than 20.000 posts should send games!!

Anyway I did that with post cards years ago but games hmm count me out =p.

^^' What are you going to do if a game get lost in the post?

Try re-reading the OP again reeeeeal carefully.