By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 3rd Party Balance Sheet of Terror

I just did a run-down of your first 10 titles for 360.

Not a single one is a true 360 exclusive. That is to say, if you were doing a list with all platforms, you couldn't list a single one for 360. Some of them will appear on as many as 5 platforms. Some will appear on the PC first, then 360 later, and then PS3.

You need to put this type of nformation out there. I'm going to assume that the vast majority of the games on the 360 list are not true 360 exclusives, since none of the first ten were.

Yes, in the end, there's a lot of titles which will at least be on 360 before they are on PS3. But a lot of those will be on PC before; a lot of them will be on other platforms. Crash Bandicoot is on PS2, PSP, Wii and DS along with 360. That's the kind of information people need to come to conclusions.

One title, APB, has the exact same status on 360 as PS3. APB is listed as "expected" on 360 and "rumored" on PS3 on your vgreleases site. But in actuality, it is only confirmed for PC and simply "may" have a 360 or PS3 version at some point after that.

You need to include information on the level of exclusivity. If you were including that information, you would never get away with listing a title like APB, which sounds like it would launch in 2010, if at all, and possibly with a PS3 version, if it ever comes to 360.

I hoped, since a month-by-month list with all this information included would be far superior to your current method, that you would have stopped your current list and jumped to the better method. Instead, now you're saying "quarter by quarter."

The more important point is whether you intend to include information on the level of exclusivity; whether it is just a title the PS3 isn't getting, or if PS3 is still getting it later on, or if 360 is getting it later than PC, or if 360 simply has a slightly less nebulous "maybe."

Because right now, after saying that this thread is "not about coming to conclusions," you just posted a bunch of conclusions which sounded like a mixture of Microsoft PR ("world class development tools") and Microsoft FUD ("the port process is risky and fraught with problems.") Those are not conclusions you can come to from the non-data you have posted so far.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

@Eric Aston ^^^

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions.

Regarding the "partial exclusivity" point - I addressed it before several times on the thread, including a few posts up the thread. The key point is that we are not trying to identify the platform that has more exclusives but instead we are trying to see if a platfrom gets in danger of consistently being denied 3rd party titles - and therefore we care about titles that don't show up on one of the platfrom, even if they show up in many other places. See full post above somewhere.

The rest of your points are very good. Additional information will be very useful. So I will try to arrange the list by time and I will also add the exclusivity level. BTW, quarters is more appropriate than months - months have too much flactuations with very small numbers.

You are also right about me starting to draw conclusions in the thread. I shouldn't have. I don't think the facts I used are really disputable and each have multiple references from developers, but I should keep it about the information collection only.

Let me check about APB. I am pretty sure there was a solid reason why it is on the 360 list.

Edit - I checked on APB. The PS3 version is a admitedly rumor (quoting: "Rumor - APB Coming to PS3?"). No confirmation anywhere that I could find. The official word currently does not have it coming to the PS3. The OP rules states "no rumors". I will take it out of the 360 list once I get a better source than a rumor.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Amirnitz,

I understand why it is important that games DON'T appear on one platform, but without listing "how" exclusive the games really are, the importance cannot be gauged. And if the importance is being placed on games NOT appearing on platforms, isn't it misleading to call them "exclusives"? One wouldn't list every single Wii game as a "motion control exclusive" even if it were technically true.

As for APB: Is it really confirmed for 360 either? It appears to be a PC game which was previously announced for 360, but with no status on either HD console right now, and a word from the publisher saying "if it does proceed with console editions of the game, both an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version are on the table." http://www.gamespot.com/news/6189616.html

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

^^^ OK, your link is good. I'll remove APB from the 360 list.

I think we are in agreement about the need to specify release dates (or quarters) for the titles and the exclusivity level. I'll try to rearrange the list accordingly.

I also agree that a better definition or description of "Exclusive" in this context is called for. I'll think of something.

Thanks.

I think from the scope of your OP you were very clear that this was a comparison between the 360 and the PS3 nothing more - you shouldn't have to entitle the lists as 'Appearing on 360 + others but not on PS3' that's ridiculous...the games on the lists (in the confines of this discussion) are exclusive meaning either appearing on the 360 or on the PS3 not both.

Take your true exclusive definition to discussions actually involving PC, Wii, PS2, DS etc.

Around the Network

PDC World Champion Darts 2008 listed for both consoles.

http://vgchartz.com/games/releases.php?month=1&year=2009&region=&console=&publisher=

"This is the deep-dish, delicious irony endured by the Nintendo stalwart: to see their platform of choice ascendant, even as their bright God turns his face away."

Tycho Brahe

Tailgunner said:
PDC World Champion Darts 2008 listed for both consoles.

http://vgchartz.com/games/releases.php?month=1&year=2009®ion=&console=&publisher=

VGChartz is wrong. I went to the developer web site to verify. No PS3.

http://www.oxygengames.net/games/games_details.asp?gameid=48&gametitle=PDC+World+Championship+Darts

so Yakuza 3 and Demons Soul don't count but FF13VS does a game with no release date and most likely coming in 2010

http://www.vgreleases.com/ps3/GameIndex-f.aspx
http://au.ps3.ign.com/index/release.html

IGN and VGreleases state a 2009 release date for Final Fantasy XIII VS

these are list of a portable games(DS and/or PSP)...and only on xbox360 because microsoft does not have handheld..there should be a rule about this thing too...these games are on handheld for a reason...if this is not a rule and we should start adding ps2 and psp along with it...kinda unfair as well because most of psp games are under $40 and comes on psp instead of ps3 because hardware requirement is not an issue....so just because 360 version is $60 and ds and psp version is $30...it qualifies as exclusive??....doesn't make sense...maybe rules should be rewritten with alittle bit more careful consideration...and not to mention alot of those games on the list have been out on pc for over a year...and has yet to come out for 360...pc and 360 coming out together..ok that's understandable...and i'll also list ones that have been out on pc for quite sometime...as u can see for example i will not post Left 4 Dead beacuase they were released on same date....i believe a one month rule should apply to these as well....and also on another note....games like command and conquer should NOT be on the exclusive list due to the nature that it was announced as multiplatform....these were not by any means a timed exclusives...the rules saying it was released late because of coding should not make it an exclusive because as in the developer's thoughts they did not make the game with the thought of being it an xbox360 exclusive...but if it gets cancelled for any reason....i'd say that then becomes an xbox360 exclusive as it happened with Frontlines: Fuel of war...

with the current rules....u mentioned that this is not a fanyboy thread...but it seems like a big fanboy list/thread...that is just my opinion on how the list looks and rules sound...but other than those small rules i mentioned above....everything else seems ok...just a note b4 u reply with saying it's timed exclusive for some....all the ones with Also on PS3..there is NO timed exclusive for any...most dont even have a release date...just the release quarter or year....well feel free to let me know if there is any updated or wrong info...

well here's the list....and why...

-Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures(May 20, 2008PC..360 version 2009)
-Age of Pirates(September 2006 PC)
-Bloodbowl (PSP and DS)
-Brave: A Warrior's tale Total (PSP)
-Command and Conquer(Delayed on PS3 due to difficulties)
-Crusaders: Invasion of Constantinople(Also on PS3)
-Darksiders: Wrath of War(Also on PS3)
-Dungeon Explorer(remake of a 1989 game...probably wont make the $40 threshold...might as well start adding classic games now...)
-Deer Hunter Tournament(CANCELLED)
-Owlboy(no such game exists....have searched for this game on every game site i could think of.....yahoo search and google search...no such game exists)
-PDC World Championship Darts 2008(Also on PSP)
-Possesion(Also on PS3)
-Puzzle Quest(Also on DS and PSP)
-Secret Service(I wouldn't be proud of this exclusive...Graphics are on par with PS2...and it is on PS2 and not PS3 for a reason)
-Stoked(MSRP $39.99 I believe this is title does not belong according to the rule...1 cent short)
-The Tale of Despereaux(Coming for all console except PS3...reminder....this game does not require a ps3 to play....ps2 would be sufficient)
-Urban Mysteries(Also on PS3)
-WarHound(Also on PS3)
-Winter Sports 2: The Next Challenge(Read Comment on Tales of Despereux)

ps exclusives that should be added...

-Red Dead Revolver 2
-ActiveDogs
-Big Time Revenge
-BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger