By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 3rd Party Balance Sheet of Terror

amirnetz said:
AnarchyWest said:
wow i love how my titles i posted aren't being accepted...they arn't even vaporware they are known titles..

Look about at my reply. You were not ignored. I asked for more information on some and rejected others. Still waiting.

Note that I had to tighten the rules to include only titles that have a release date of 2009 included to eliminate vaporware. This is done to both platforms equally. I used VGReleases as my default release date verification mechanism, but if you can point to other sources for the release date I will appreciate it.

you still have 2008 release date games on your OP

Around the Network

Cross Edge (X-edge)
http://ps3.ign.com/objects/142/14252543.html
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=25065&region=All

Big Time Revenge
http://ps3.ign.com/objects/821/821865.html

Codename: Sengoku 23KU
http://ps3.ign.com/objects/774/774938.html

AnarchyWest said:
amirnetz said:
AnarchyWest said:
wow i love how my titles i posted aren't being accepted...they arn't even vaporware they are known titles..

Look about at my reply. You were not ignored. I asked for more information on some and rejected others. Still waiting.

Note that I had to tighten the rules to include only titles that have a release date of 2009 included to eliminate vaporware. This is done to both platforms equally. I used VGReleases as my default release date verification mechanism, but if you can point to other sources for the release date I will appreciate it.

you still have 2008 release date games on your OP

Sorry I was not clear about it. I meant yitles that have a release date of October 2008 through all of 2009.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Here's an idea.

Why don't you do a month-by-month breakdown.

Use a variety of resources that track all game releases, do try and get a complete list of game releases in each month in a single region (probably US).

Then just break it into 4 categories: first/second party, third party HD multi-plat, third party HD exclusive, and third party total exclusive.

That will actually make your data collection easier. And, unlike your current method, it will (a) allow us to see trends over time instead of a giant, unwieldy list, and (b) allow us to see what percentage of total releases the exclusives represent.

Start with October-December of 2007 to set a comparison point, then jump to October-December 2008.

It seems to me that this will serve your supposed purposes better than your current method. And although it asks you to break down the data a little more, it should actually make data collection easier.

If this is about data collection, and not drawing conclusions, then leave the data out there. Big lists without any other info can easily be manipulated, which is what you're accused of. So put the info back out there. Do monthly lists, with all games, broken down by level of exclusivity.

As an aside, you need to get rid of the "price" stipulation. It is totally contrary to what you claim this thread is about. Two words: Game Party. If nothing else, the huge success of Game Party reconfirms the importance of budget software.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

so are the titles I posted with links still failing your requirements or is the PS3 not aloud to have more than 10 ?

AnarchyWest said:
so are the titles I posted with links still failing your requirements or is the PS3 not aloud to have more than 10 ?

I hadn't a chance to review them yet. I will do it later today.

naznatips said:
You've already stacked the deck when you said you count PC multiplats. Which is absolutely ridiculous, as you are claiming Valve putting a port of L4D on 360 is teh same as making an exclusive game for 360.

I think the question you should be asking is 'why didn't the PS3 get a port as well?' It's a highly rated game from a developer with a lot of respect in the industry - this only further illustrates the point.

Erik Aston said:
Here's an idea.

Why don't you do a month-by-month breakdown.

Use a variety of resources that track all game releases, do try and get a complete list of game releases in each month in a single region (probably US).

Then just break it into 4 categories: first/second party, third party HD multi-plat, third party HD exclusive, and third party total exclusive.

That will actually make your data collection easier. And, unlike your current method, it will (a) allow us to see trends over time instead of a giant, unwieldy list, and (b) allow us to see what percentage of total releases the exclusives represent.

Start with October-December of 2007 to set a comparison point, then jump to October-December 2008.

It seems to me that this will serve your supposed purposes better than your current method. And although it asks you to break down the data a little more, it should actually make data collection easier.

If this is about data collection, and not drawing conclusions, then leave the data out there. Big lists without any other info can easily be manipulated, which is what you're accused of. So put the info back out there. Do monthly lists, with all games, broken down by level of exclusivity.

As an aside, you need to get rid of the "price" stipulation. It is totally contrary to what you claim this thread is about. Two words: Game Party. If nothing else, the huge success of Game Party reconfirms the importance of budget software.

Absolutely.

I was thinking along the same lines as well.

I do need to finish reviewing the titles put forth by AnarchyWest first so I am not being blamed of a 360 bias...

amirnetz said:
Million said:
Cueil a more quantative approach to your post would have been appreciated , it's not good saying game X will sell well and I don't think game B will do too good.

Cueil & Million

Scoring the expected quality of the releases could have helped in theory. However:

1. We often don't have any information as to how the game will look, play or accepted.

2. Such an attempt will immidiately derail the thread into fanboy wars about which title is going to be better based on solely on wishful thinking and bias.

It is hard enough as it is to keep a thread here on an objective level without some of the fanboys trying to make it into charged discussion.  Adding this subjectives evaluation will completely take the thread into an uncontrolled spin.

That said, I do encourage you to start a new thread where you can take the lists collected here and try to score them. This thread is mostly about the data collection process and less about driving any conclusions. Once we have the data collected on a regular basis I hope to see multiple threads that reuse it.

I don't think I had any wishful thinking and bias... with the exception of games that I'd like to preform well, but probably wont do so well