By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has the brightest future due to wii HD

arsenicazure said:

@Roma

If you do read the reviews of the wii.. the launch ones atleast you will realise that most people complained about poor graphics and everyone liked the motion control but no one thought wii would be the generation leader. again the wii is not more capable than the xbox.. they both are geared for different things.

My gripe with the wii is nintendo wants you to be happy with their console just because they have given you motion control- it doesnt have good online, graphics or sound.

Im sure it makes a lot of casual gamers, senior citizens and nintendo fans happy but as a former GC lover im disappointed.

The wii sells lesser software per console as opposed to the xbox and this despite the fact that xbox users ultimately shell out more money- wireless/live fees/console costs

Wii's also have a slight reputation for not being played much after their novelty wears off.. again im not flaming the wii but these are facts.

M$ is not failing this gen. Its doing alright for itself. m$ hopes to sell 75 million units of the 360 and although i dont know if they will reach that level of success, anything above 50 million would be good.

SONY is desperate to get consumers to spend on blu ray and that is their strategy. The ps3 doesnt work for me at the current price so im not going to bother getting one. if it were similiarly priced to the 360 it would be a no brainer,though

For me the measure of success would be the amount of time people spend playing/using their consoles. A console in the cupboard is pretty much just wasted tech.

And right now the 360 is doing everything that nintendo isnt. Lots of games, great online, continually improving GUI.

back to the original question is the wii HD nintendos biggest chance of success..

No. not just HD wii.. i wanna see a good online backbone and a more involving experience, including wii motion plus.

lol you had to bring “the Wii not more capable than the Xbox” up did you. Well I am not going to say more than what my sig says about you then sorry.

I agree with you the Wii had bad reviews on the grafix part. Sure it does not have the capabilities of a 360 or PS3 but it has good grafix if you are willing to do them. Mario Galaxy, SSBB and others have proven that.

Anyway I do enjoy my Wii games more than those on my 360 because it offers fun ways of playing them. Metroid Prime 3 is enough as the FP controls are something in the right direction for FP/S/A games need. It is so much more accurate and less frustrating which allows you to play faster games.    

As for the online, well Nintendo is starting the good stuff like MK Wii and voice with AC they are going in the right direction and with the next Nintendo system they will include all that from the start.

And one more thing Nintendo is one company pumping out games and supporting their own console. You seriously think MS cold do that alone? No sorry they can not. The only company that dos not need 3ed party is Nintendo and that is what is so annoying to so many people.    

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Wii HD better have an amazing new innovation like Wii now or it better offer a huge leap in graphic, because the current trend of 3rd party support. It looks like Wii HD going to get every god damn ports from PS360 era, and I dont think consumer is dumb enough to spend $300 for a system that playing ports instead $150 for a PS3 or 360 that can already play all those games.

or another choice nintendo have is drag the Wii's life cycle to match its competitor and release a system similair in power as the 720 or ps4. But this route is very unlikely.

@ roma

As for the online, well Nintendo is starting the good stuff like MK Wii and voice with AC they are going in the right direction and with the next Nintendo system they will include all that from the start..

you clearly havent waited 20 mins to connect to a brawl match have you? i dont like shelling over $350 on my wii and then having to wait that long.. my time is a lil precious to me.

Youve listed 2 games with good graphics on the wii and the wii is over 2 yrs old. enuff said

BTW DC has online out of the box in '99 that was 10 years ago. oh .. and guess what it worked!

ive had lesser issues playing on a 56k 4 player quake 3 match then ive had with a T1 line on smash bros

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

arsenicazure said:

@ roma

As for the online, well Nintendo is starting the good stuff like MK Wii and voice with AC they are going in the right direction and with the next Nintendo system they will include all that from the start..

you clearly havent waited 20 mins to connect to a brawl match have you? i dont like shelling over $350 on my wii and then having to wait that long.. my time is a lil precious to me.

Youve listed 2 games with good graphics on the wii and the wii is over 2 yrs old. enuff said

BTW DC has online out of the box in '99 that was 10 years ago. oh .. and guess what it worked!

ive had lesser issues playing on a 56k 4 player quake 3 match then ive had with a T1 line on smash bros

lol my point was that it can do good gfx if you want to. I can do a list of good looking games but that doesn’t mean anything.

You mention SSBB I mentioned MKWii which came out later and it is superb as I have heard and read. Good work mate bring up the worst and leave the best because that’s how you prove your point ;)

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Of course Nintendo has the brightest future, but not necessarily due to Wii HD. There's a big chance their next console will be HD, I guess 720p max. It's not sure they will have HDMI though.

HD is meaningless anyway. The more I look at 1080p content, the less I'm hesitant to buy DVD. The higher price for HD content is just not worth it. HD has no appeal value for games either.

arsenicazure said:

If you do read the reviews of the wii.. the launch ones atleast you will realise that most people complained about poor graphics and everyone liked the motion control but no one thought wii would be the generation leader. again the wii is not more capable than the xbox.. they both are geared for different things.

This is where your problem is: you live in a world that is a small part of the real world. For example, your 'most people complained' actually is 'most hardlycore complained'. Unfortunately, the hardlycore world is far from being the real world. That's why everything you say just looks like out of this world to normal people. Nobody that is not locked in this small hadrlycore world complains of supposedly poor graphics on Wii. Also, they don't think that it's more capable than the XBox. They just don't know what the XBox is, so for most people, the Wii is light years ahead of the XBox in capabilities. There are just no comparisons, I can give you that.

arsenicazure said:

My gripe with the wii is nintendo wants you to be happy with their console just because they have given you motion control- it doesnt have good online, graphics or sound.

I understand your gripe. That's because of not being knowledgeable in any of the things you cited, but you want to be knowledgeable, you just can't, so you blame Nintendo and the Wii.

I agree that the Wii doesn't have good online, graphics or sound. No, it actually has excellent online, graphics and sound.

arsenicazure said:

The wii sells lesser software per console as opposed to the xbox and this despite the fact that xbox users ultimately shell out more money

I pity the XBox users fools that shell out more money. I can understand your hatred for seeing people enjoying themselves more while paying less. Fortunately the Wii, being one year younger than the XB360, sells less software by console. It already sells more software and has passed XB360 in hardware long ago. It would be a complete and utter humiliation if XB360 had nothing going for it against the Wii, though it's a very poor consolation.

arsenicazure said:

Wii's also have a slight reputation for not being played much after their novelty wears off.. again im not flaming the wii but these are facts.

Not all people buying a Wii are hardcore gamers? Wow, revelation!

It must be hard coming from the hardlycore world and discovering the real world. The shock may be too hard to stand. Fortunately, the Wii has casual gamers that play it a lot without talking nonsense about reputation (like they care).

arsenicazure said:

And right now the 360 is doing everything that nintendo isnt. Lots of games, great online, continually improving GUI.

I don't understand, you'd have to check your facts. Both Wii and DS have more games than XB360, both have a better online, and both have a better GUI. MS went all the way to copy the Wii's GUI, but it's not enough to attract people. Their GUI is still worse anyway.

Around the Network

I can’t help but notice that a lot of people’s arguments against Nintendo’s ability to produce a "Wii HD" are making the argument "... because Nintendo produced the Wii in the way they did, they will produce the Wii HD using the same strategy!"

Now, inspite of a lot of people's assumptions, Nintendo is not a dumb company and they didn't just get "Lucky" with the Wii; they analysed the market conditions leading into this generation and produced a system which they thought would be best suited to perform well under those conditions. The processing power of the Wii was (probably) very carefully chosen, and there are (potentially) countless reasons why it is so much lower than the other systems; when you consider the number of PS3/Xbox 360 games that run at a resolution lower than 720p (potentially as low as 600p) and have a framerate lower than 30fps Nintendo may have decided that producing an affordable ($200 to $300) system that was the "Best Performance for the money" only doomed them to an endless stream of shitty ports from the HD consoles (in a time when they wanted developers to focus on the unique capabilities of their system).

If Nintendo feels that the market conditions are similar in the next generation we may see a similar approach from their next system; in contrast if there are noticeable differences in the market Nintendo will probably adapt their strategy to best suit (in their opinion) the new market conditions.

HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:
Im not even sure they will even match the performance of the Xbox 360 with the Wii HD.

Actually scratch that, I don't think they will.

Chips are getting hotter and hotter, if they are targeting a specific thermal profile of say ~20-30W, they may not be able to release something as powerful. They've also aquired a penchant for simple so I doubt it'd have more ram than the 360 as they'd probably target having fewer ram chips and simplify their design.

You do realise the XBox 360 and PS3 are being outperformed by low end GPUs that are manufactured using a 55nm process ... By the end of 2010 a $500 laptop will be more powerful than these systems. Do you really think anyone would have difficulty surpassing the processing power of the PS3 or XBox 360 from this point forward if they wanted to?

You do realise than the countless reasons for the Wii being the size it is, are going to be just as important in the next generation? They were targeting a specific size/shape and since they've been so successful I believe they will target it again.

The reason why I suspect the Wii HD won't be quite as powerful is because the Xbox 360/PS3 were that far ahead of the power curve over last generation and they produced far more heat. Heat and power consumption are not going down as fast as chipsizes are.

Tease.

ookaze said:

Of course Nintendo has the brightest future, but not necessarily due to Wii HD. There's a big chance their next console will be HD, I guess 720p max. It's not sure they will have HDMI though.

HD is meaningless anyway. The more I look at 1080p content, the less I'm hesitant to buy DVD. The higher price for HD content is just not worth it. HD has no appeal value for games either.

arsenicazure said:

This is where your problem is: you live in a world that is a small part of the real world. For example, your 'most people complained' actually is 'most hardlycore complained'. Unfortunately, the hardlycore world is far from being the real world. That's why everything you say just looks like out of this world to normal people. Nobody that is not locked in this small hadrlycore world complains of supposedly poor graphics on Wii. Also, they don't think that it's more capable than the XBox. They just don't know what the XBox is, so for most people, the Wii is light years ahead of the XBox in capabilities. There are just no comparisons, I can give you that.

arsenicazure said:

I understand your gripe. That's because of not being knowledgeable in any of the things you cited, but you want to be knowledgeable, you just can't, so you blame Nintendo and the Wii.

I agree that the Wii doesn't have good online, graphics or sound. No, it actually has excellent online, graphics and sound.

arsenicazure said:

The wii sells lesser software per console as opposed to the xbox and this despite the fact that xbox users ultimately shell out more money

I pity the XBox users fools that shell out more money. I can understand your hatred for seeing people enjoying themselves more while paying less. Fortunately the Wii, being one year younger than the XB360, sells less software by console. It already sells more software and has passed XB360 in hardware long ago. It would be a complete and utter humiliation if XB360 had nothing going for it against the Wii, though it's a very poor consolation.

arsenicazure said:

Not all people buying a Wii are hardcore gamers? Wow, revelation!

It must be hard coming from the hardlycore world and discovering the real world. The shock may be too hard to stand. Fortunately, the Wii has casual gamers that play it a lot without talking nonsense about reputation (like they care).

arsenicazure said:

I don't understand, you'd have to check your facts. Both Wii and DS have more games than XB360, both have a better online, and both have a better GUI. MS went all the way to copy the Wii's GUI, but it's not enough to attract people. Their GUI is still worse anyway.

clearly i need to know wht ur smoking..  if u think wii has "excellent graphics,sound and online"

why dont you put some pics up for comparison since u think HD is so crap.. here is a simple test for you to perform at home

set ur pc desktop resolution at 640*480i.. yup "i" n not "p" since the wii doesnt even come with component cables..

step 2... now set it at 1280*720 n voila! appreciate how good ur background wii wallpaper looks! much better in HD eh!

Now thats just 720p... imagine the goodness of 1080p!

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

nintendo made the wii a lot weaker cause they didnt have the money to throw around with expensive HD gaming. Now theyre making so much money off of the wii and ds. Theyre gonna have something amazing planned for the next gen! i wouldnt be suprized if they already have it half planned already. Same with the DS. i donno if theyre gonna make a ds, bring back the gameboy, or both. but whatever it is, the psp has taken a big chuck of the handheld market, and nintendo isnt gonna let that happen without a big fight.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

The Wii's current demographic aren't too crazy about HD graphics , that's evident in the Wii's success .

If Nintendo are going to do High end graphics+ Wii= Wii2 then they will fail terribly if your talking purley about outputting HD graphics that won't even be an issue for portable consoles in 5 years.What they'll likely do is continue down the path of affordable innovative maybe through further improving motion controls or a new type of motion controller.

Nintendo probably won't go for high end graphics next generation unless it's affordable high end graphics , Sony made that mistake and i'm sure everyone took notes.