By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has the brightest future due to wii HD

JGarret said:
Sky, don´t you mean Hiroshi Yamauchi?

Yes I did.  Thanks, I knew something was off in that post...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:

You do realise than the countless reasons for the Wii being the size it is, are going to be just as important in the next generation? They were targeting a specific size/shape and since they've been so successful I believe they will target it again.

The reason why I suspect the Wii HD won't be quite as powerful is because the Xbox 360/PS3 were that far ahead of the power curve over last generation and they produced far more heat. Heat and power consumption are not going down as fast as chipsizes are.

The Wii HD may also need to be a small low energy consumption system, but there is nothing saying it has to be as small as the Wii or as low in energy use and there are ways to keep it (about) the same size while increasing energy consumption without running into heat problems.

Consider that a laptop DVD drive is less than half the thickness of a regular DVD drive, and if you chose to use a laptop drive in the Wii HD you could greatly increase the airflow around the CPU and GPU which should enable you to run using warmer components; if you combined that with more active cooling you could run even warmer components without any concern for overheating.

Being that it is likely that you will see slim-line XBox 360/PS3 systems late 2009/early 2010 as they move to the 32nm process which will not be much larger than a Wii, and Nintendo has used the exact same companies to design their console as Microsoft has, why wouldn't Nintendo be able to surpass that feat in 2012 using a 22nm process?

This is what I figure the "next" Wii will be targetted as.

• Unified CPU/GPU architecture with fast ED-Ram or equivelent cache on board to save bandwidth.
  • Simplified south/northbridge also intergrated onto the CPU die/multichip module.
  • 2 x 2gbit GDDR 5 chips on a 64 bit bus yielding roughly the same bandwidth/memory of the Xbox 360
  • High density next generation optical drive running at 4/6 speed to yield faster transfer speeds so they don't have to use a HDD which are expensive.
  • 720P is the target rendering resolution.
  • Internal components in the range of 20-30W total power consumption.
  • 4-8gb Flash onboard for storage.

So it will be cheap, easy to manufacture and small, fitting into the form factor of the current Wii, without being obtrusive so it will use quiet fans etc. Why change a manufacturing style which works? They don't need to offer anything more than the current Xbox 360/PS3 really and therefore can benefit from the engine design work thats already been done.

Btw, they will likely be using the 32nm process in 2011/2012 as the 22nm process is generally reserved for cutting edge designs and consoles tend to be behind the process curve.

Just a few thoughts, IBM's current roadmap has the 32nm process being ready by the end of 2009 and is planning to have a 28nm process out "6 months after the 32nm process" ... In the next 2.5 years I would expect them to have the 22nm process out. Beyond that the statement "consoles tend to be behind the process curve." is not true; just looking back on the previous generation, both the Gamecube and XBox used the 180nm process pretty early in its life. A more accurate statement would be that "Consoles tend to be produced with the process the console manufacturing company's technolgy partners are ready for" which may or may not be the newest process, typically depending on their long term strategy.

Anyways, people assumptions about what Nintendo's next generation hardware will be is heavily dependant on their assumptions of why Nintendo produced the hardware they did in the current generation. Personally, I think a combination of uncertainty about the success of the Wii, the exploding development costs (and developers inability to controll themself), and the expense of hardware that could produce graphics with advanced texture effects at high resolutions were some of the main factors ... In the next generation they will have less to worry about in terms of the success of their system, developers will have learned to produce games at a reasonable price (for expected sales) or have gone out of business, and hardware capable of advanced texture effects at high resolution should be fairly inexpensive (for example, even low end graphics cards will be able to run a game like Crysis at high detail at above 1080p and over 60fps).

Nintendo will improve the graphics on the SuperWii, I don't know if they'll be better than the 360, like Squilliam said. Nintendo will try to do a low consumption and not so expensive console. If the technology's cost allow it, they will, we still don't know how many years left are for the next Nintendo console.

But even if they use HD or not, the graphics are not their main priority. The big success of the Wii over the other consoles is in part because graphics became a comodity. Nintendo is already trying new things. Microsoft and Sony are the ones to follow Nintendo's strategy, not the other way.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:
HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:

You do realise than the countless reasons for the Wii being the size it is, are going to be just as important in the next generation? They were targeting a specific size/shape and since they've been so successful I believe they will target it again.

The reason why I suspect the Wii HD won't be quite as powerful is because the Xbox 360/PS3 were that far ahead of the power curve over last generation and they produced far more heat. Heat and power consumption are not going down as fast as chipsizes are.

The Wii HD may also need to be a small low energy consumption system, but there is nothing saying it has to be as small as the Wii or as low in energy use and there are ways to keep it (about) the same size while increasing energy consumption without running into heat problems.

Consider that a laptop DVD drive is less than half the thickness of a regular DVD drive, and if you chose to use a laptop drive in the Wii HD you could greatly increase the airflow around the CPU and GPU which should enable you to run using warmer components; if you combined that with more active cooling you could run even warmer components without any concern for overheating.

Being that it is likely that you will see slim-line XBox 360/PS3 systems late 2009/early 2010 as they move to the 32nm process which will not be much larger than a Wii, and Nintendo has used the exact same companies to design their console as Microsoft has, why wouldn't Nintendo be able to surpass that feat in 2012 using a 22nm process?

This is what I figure the "next" Wii will be targetted as.

• Unified CPU/GPU architecture with fast ED-Ram or equivelent cache on board to save bandwidth.
  • Simplified south/northbridge also intergrated onto the CPU die/multichip module.
  • 2 x 2gbit GDDR 5 chips on a 64 bit bus yielding roughly the same bandwidth/memory of the Xbox 360
  • High density next generation optical drive running at 4/6 speed to yield faster transfer speeds so they don't have to use a HDD which are expensive.
  • 720P is the target rendering resolution.
  • Internal components in the range of 20-30W total power consumption.
  • 4-8gb Flash onboard for storage.

So it will be cheap, easy to manufacture and small, fitting into the form factor of the current Wii, without being obtrusive so it will use quiet fans etc. Why change a manufacturing style which works? They don't need to offer anything more than the current Xbox 360/PS3 really and therefore can benefit from the engine design work thats already been done.

Btw, they will likely be using the 32nm process in 2011/2012 as the 22nm process is generally reserved for cutting edge designs and consoles tend to be behind the process curve.

Just a few thoughts, IBM's current roadmap has the 32nm process being ready by the end of 2009 and is planning to have a 28nm process out "6 months after the 32nm process" ... In the next 2.5 years I would expect them to have the 22nm process out. Beyond that the statement "consoles tend to be behind the process curve." is not true; just looking back on the previous generation, both the Gamecube and XBox used the 180nm process pretty early in its life. A more accurate statement would be that "Consoles tend to be produced with the process the console manufacturing company's technolgy partners are ready for" which may or may not be the newest process, typically depending on their long term strategy.

Anyways, people assumptions about what Nintendo's next generation hardware will be is heavily dependant on their assumptions of why Nintendo produced the hardware they did in the current generation. Personally, I think a combination of uncertainty about the success of the Wii, the exploding development costs (and developers inability to controll themself), and the expense of hardware that could produce graphics with advanced texture effects at high resolutions were some of the main factors ... In the next generation they will have less to worry about in terms of the success of their system, developers will have learned to produce games at a reasonable price (for expected sales) or have gone out of business, and hardware capable of advanced texture effects at high resolution should be fairly inexpensive (for example, even low end graphics cards will be able to run a game like Crysis at high detail at above 1080p and over 60fps).

They'll likely target the process node which has a good combination of power efficiency, yields, and price. It isn't always cheaper to target the smallest process nodes especially when considering power efficiency, and yields are likely two of the most important considerations.

In all I would say the main limiting factor for Nintendo to produce a fast console is not price of materials rather its heat. If you consider the massive increase in power requirements from the last generation to the current one, or the fact that even a midrange GPU will use more power than an Extreme-edition quad core CPU.

Tease.

This is going to sound totally random... but imagine if Nintendo actually named their next console Wii HD.

For those who don't get it:

Wii HD
WiiHD
WiiD
Weed.

What more marketing than this?

To stay on topic, however, I think Nintendo's next console will be more powerful than what we have now, ofcourse. It could match the power of the 360 in rems of graphcis, or stay a bit behind, which would be great either way. The size will be smaller than the current Wii, it won't play DVD's or CD's, making it smaller in size and less energy consuming (I think?).  It will have motion sensing, ofcourse, but not in the way we are imagining it right now. For some reason I doubt Nintendo will bring something forward that is like what the Wii already delivers, so I'm guessing a new type of motion sensing, but I have no idea how it will be. Just a thought.

Around the Network
Pete_Beast said:

To stay on topic, however, I think Nintendo's next console will be more powerful than what we have now, ofcourse. It could match the power of the 360 in rems of graphcis, or stay a bit behind, which would be great either way. The size will be smaller than the current Wii, it won't play DVD's or CD's, making it smaller in size and less energy consuming (I think?).  It will have motion sensing, ofcourse, but not in the way we are imagining it right now. For some reason I doubt Nintendo will bring something forward that is like what the Wii already delivers, so I'm guessing a new type of motion sensing, but I have no idea how it will be. Just a thought.

Maybe something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0awjPUkBXOU&feature=channel

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Hmm... They already used Lee's first vid "usage" in Spielberg's game as an Easter Egg. The idea would really be GREAT, and is, but it would only work for one person, like he states in the video. The second idea can me more useful, if the interaction with the game was improved like that it would really be something.

Nintendo always surprises us, let's see how they do so next time around.

arsenicazure said:
ookaze said:

Of course Nintendo has the brightest future, but not necessarily due to Wii HD. There's a big chance their next console will be HD, I guess 720p max. It's not sure they will have HDMI though.

HD is meaningless anyway. The more I look at 1080p content, the less I'm hesitant to buy DVD. The higher price for HD content is just not worth it. HD has no appeal value for games either.

arsenicazure said:

If you do read the reviews of the wii.. the launch ones atleast you will realise that most people complained about poor graphics and everyone liked the motion control but no one thought wii would be the generation leader. again the wii is not more capable than the xbox.. they both are geared for different things.

This is where your problem is: you live in a world that is a small part of the real world. For example, your 'most people complained' actually is 'most hardlycore complained'. Unfortunately, the hardlycore world is far from being the real world. That's why everything you say just looks like out of this world to normal people. Nobody that is not locked in this small hadrlycore world complains of supposedly poor graphics on Wii. Also, they don't think that it's more capable than the XBox. They just don't know what the XBox is, so for most people, the Wii is light years ahead of the XBox in capabilities. There are just no comparisons, I can give you that.

arsenicazure said:

My gripe with the wii is nintendo wants you to be happy with their console just because they have given you motion control- it doesnt have good online, graphics or sound.

I understand your gripe. That's because of not being knowledgeable in any of the things you cited, but you want to be knowledgeable, you just can't, so you blame Nintendo and the Wii.

I agree that the Wii doesn't have good online, graphics or sound. No, it actually has excellent online, graphics and sound.

arsenicazure said:

The wii sells lesser software per console as opposed to the xbox and this despite the fact that xbox users ultimately shell out more money

I pity the XBox users fools that shell out more money. I can understand your hatred for seeing people enjoying themselves more while paying less. Fortunately the Wii, being one year younger than the XB360, sells less software by console. It already sells more software and has passed XB360 in hardware long ago. It would be a complete and utter humiliation if XB360 had nothing going for it against the Wii, though it's a very poor consolation.

arsenicazure said:

Wii's also have a slight reputation for not being played much after their novelty wears off.. again im not flaming the wii but these are facts.

Not all people buying a Wii are hardcore gamers? Wow, revelation!

It must be hard coming from the hardlycore world and discovering the real world. The shock may be too hard to stand. Fortunately, the Wii has casual gamers that play it a lot without talking nonsense about reputation (like they care).

arsenicazure said:

And right now the 360 is doing everything that nintendo isnt. Lots of games, great online, continually improving GUI.

I don't understand, you'd have to check your facts. Both Wii and DS have more games than XB360, both have a better online, and both have a better GUI. MS went all the way to copy the Wii's GUI, but it's not enough to attract people. Their GUI is still worse anyway.

clearly i need to know wht ur smoking.. if u think wii has "excellent graphics,sound and online"

why dont you put some pics up for comparison since u think HD is so crap.. here is a simple test for you to perform at home

set ur pc desktop resolution at 640*480i.. yup "i" n not "p" since the wii doesnt even come with component cables..

step 2... now set it at 1280*720 n voila! appreciate how good ur background wii wallpaper looks! much better in HD eh!

Now thats just 720p... imagine the goodness of 1080p!

All of you,thanks.You've given me a lot of technical info I didn't know.I'm a nintendo fan but ookaze,aren't u taking it 2 far.U make it sound as if wii performs better technically than the 360.On the flip side,gears of war 2 takes about 30 minutes to load b4 u can play a match online and another 30mins if u wanna play another match.Arsenicazure,I can feel ur pain but Ithink its too early to complain.I won't have high hopes for next year but lets see what the 3rd parties do with the wii in 2010 till the end of this cycle.I think they'll push it to its limits,even in hardcore games.Like the ps2.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

This thread is like gold to Ninty fans haha.
One says Nintendo are afraid to release a console more powerful than X360 because of hot chips.
Another one they won't release a new console fearing losing the market.

If both statements were true so GameCube would have outsold PS2.

@arsenicazure: I guess your comparision works with PS3 too, since it ships with composite aswell. Don't know how it's with 360.

One of the reasons for 360:s high attach rate is the console being out longer. And as a side note, Wii has higher attach rate than PS3, if i recall.

@Tolu: Whether Ookaze overshoots a little or not, he does point out that the consoles have very different approach to customer.

@Happy Squrriel: The two had 180nM processors at launch.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.