By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has the brightest future due to wii HD

disolitude said:

Take a look at the DSi... I still don't know what nintendo is thinking there. possibly they are buying time until they figure out something else but to me that seems like a rehash.

LOL. Not trying to pick on you or anything, but you do know the DSI is just a DS, just like the DS lite is just a DS, it is not a new platforms like the Ds it to the GBA. I guess u think the PSP 3000 is a rehash as well?

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network
disolitude said:

Take a look at the DSi... I still don't know what nintendo is thinking there. possibly they are buying time until they figure out something else but to me that seems like a rehash.

LOL. Not trying to pick on you or anything, but you do know the DSI is just a DS, just like the DS lite is just a DS, it is not a new platforms like the Ds it to the GBA. I guess u think the PSP 3000 is a rehash as well?

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Squilliam said:
HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:
Im not even sure they will even match the performance of the Xbox 360 with the Wii HD.

Actually scratch that, I don't think they will.

Chips are getting hotter and hotter, if they are targeting a specific thermal profile of say ~20-30W, they may not be able to release something as powerful. They've also aquired a penchant for simple so I doubt it'd have more ram than the 360 as they'd probably target having fewer ram chips and simplify their design.

You do realise the XBox 360 and PS3 are being outperformed by low end GPUs that are manufactured using a 55nm process ... By the end of 2010 a $500 laptop will be more powerful than these systems. Do you really think anyone would have difficulty surpassing the processing power of the PS3 or XBox 360 from this point forward if they wanted to?

You do realise than the countless reasons for the Wii being the size it is, are going to be just as important in the next generation? They were targeting a specific size/shape and since they've been so successful I believe they will target it again.

The reason why I suspect the Wii HD won't be quite as powerful is because the Xbox 360/PS3 were that far ahead of the power curve over last generation and they produced far more heat. Heat and power consumption are not going down as fast as chipsizes are.

The Wii HD may also need to be a small low energy consumption system, but there is nothing saying it has to be as small as the Wii or as low in energy use and there are ways to keep it (about) the same size while increasing energy consumption without running into heat problems.

Consider that a laptop DVD drive is less than half the thickness of a regular DVD drive, and if you chose to use a laptop drive in the Wii HD you could greatly increase the airflow around the CPU and GPU which should enable you to run using warmer components; if you combined that with more active cooling you could run even warmer components without any concern for overheating.

Being that it is likely that you will see slim-line XBox 360/PS3 systems late 2009/early 2010 as they move to the 32nm process which will not be much larger than a Wii, and Nintendo has used the exact same companies to design their console as Microsoft has, why wouldn't Nintendo be able to surpass that feat in 2012 using a 22nm process?

Nintendo will undoubtedly produce their next console following a "next-step" strategy. The first step with the wii was to have non-gamers play. Mainly people that where interested but scared of consoles, and people that fled the scene.
Now that these people have returned, they will have to follow up with the next step: appeal to these people through their deeper senses.

I'd say, the next generation will deliver is for instance a "wii2 canvas". Nintendo will have incorporated 3d environments as seen by that guy using infra-red lights and head tracking so you can paint 3d models for instance.
Or as a launch-title: "Wii2 paintball". Ducking and sooting in paintball using Miitwee's. Awesome. Nintendo will purely focus on immersion. Perhaps they will even introduce scent-gaming.

Of course, doing this in HD will proove to be to expensive but, we can always hope for it.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Nintendo tends to innovate every other generation.

NES - their first console
SNES - better version of NES
N64 - Analog, rumble, 3D
GCN - better version of N64
Wii - motion controls (and motion control plus!)

My guess is the next console will be a SuperWii, which means more refinement than innovation. At the same time, MS and Sony will ape the Wii, and likely will avoid the mistake of another bleeding edge, very expensive console.

Each company therefore will likely start on a relatively equal footing console wise. Success will be determined by 1) brand loyalty (edge for NIntendo there), 2) marketing, and 3) quality of games and motion controls/new inputs.

Around the Network

Let's also hope Nintendo won't get too arrogant the next gen and suffer from the 2 gen syndrome again (Just like the NES-SNES, PSX-PS2).

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

The biggest problem with your prediction, misterd, is that it doesn't account for Satoru Iwata's taking the helm of Nintendo back in 2004. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Iwata's predecessor and head of Nintendo since before the NES existed, was quite happy to go generation-skipping on innovation. Iwata has his mind set on not following in his predecessor's footsteps, as he's expressed in more than one way since he took the job.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

lapsed_gamer said:
Gearbox said:
wii hd might flop because all it means is longer production times, expensive to produce. the ps3 might even slip by then and win this gen

Huh? We already have a $200 HD console on the market. So you are saying in 2-4 years it will just be too hard to produce an HD console?

I agree with Gearbox though. The company that is making the fastest produced video game machine will never be able to make consoles as fast as the slowest selling Playstation.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Sky, don´t you mean Hiroshi Yamauchi?

HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:

You do realise than the countless reasons for the Wii being the size it is, are going to be just as important in the next generation? They were targeting a specific size/shape and since they've been so successful I believe they will target it again.

The reason why I suspect the Wii HD won't be quite as powerful is because the Xbox 360/PS3 were that far ahead of the power curve over last generation and they produced far more heat. Heat and power consumption are not going down as fast as chipsizes are.

The Wii HD may also need to be a small low energy consumption system, but there is nothing saying it has to be as small as the Wii or as low in energy use and there are ways to keep it (about) the same size while increasing energy consumption without running into heat problems.

Consider that a laptop DVD drive is less than half the thickness of a regular DVD drive, and if you chose to use a laptop drive in the Wii HD you could greatly increase the airflow around the CPU and GPU which should enable you to run using warmer components; if you combined that with more active cooling you could run even warmer components without any concern for overheating.

Being that it is likely that you will see slim-line XBox 360/PS3 systems late 2009/early 2010 as they move to the 32nm process which will not be much larger than a Wii, and Nintendo has used the exact same companies to design their console as Microsoft has, why wouldn't Nintendo be able to surpass that feat in 2012 using a 22nm process?

This is what I figure the "next" Wii will be targetted as.

• Unified CPU/GPU architecture with fast ED-Ram or equivelent cache on board to save bandwidth.
  • Simplified south/northbridge also intergrated onto the CPU die/multichip module.
  • 2 x 2gbit GDDR 5 chips on a 64 bit bus yielding roughly the same bandwidth/memory of the Xbox 360
  • High density next generation optical drive running at 4/6 speed to yield faster transfer speeds so they don't have to use a HDD which are expensive.
  • 720P is the target rendering resolution.
  • Internal components in the range of 20-30W total power consumption.
  • 4-8gb Flash onboard for storage.

So it will be cheap, easy to manufacture and small, fitting into the form factor of the current Wii, without being obtrusive so it will use quiet fans etc. Why change a manufacturing style which works? They don't need to offer anything more than the current Xbox 360/PS3 really and therefore can benefit from the engine design work thats already been done.

Btw, they will likely be using the 32nm process in 2011/2012 as the 22nm process is generally reserved for cutting edge designs and consoles tend to be behind the process curve.

Tease.