By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has the brightest future due to wii HD

bdbdbd said:
@Disolitude: Turn the Wii Remote sideways. There's your NES controller.

There are a number of reasons why M$ and Sony haven't introduced their Wii Remote equivalents (well, outside Sixaxis), maybe not the least reason the crying and whining it would create. Besides, since either aren't leading the market, it would be a little too blantant ripoff. Besides, they have no games for their equivalents.
At the moment, M$ is in much better position than Sony to release a Wii Remote ripoff, due to lower pricepoint of their console. If PS3 would have similar controller, who would be buying the console, that aren't willing to buy it at the moment. Wii is cheaper. Only thing Sony would show is, that you'd get the same, but cheaper with the Wii. Besides, Wii already has the momentum and it's very hard to kill, so the controller ripoffs wouldn't necessarily do much good.

Nintendo could have afforded the "arms race", but it wouldn't fit their strategy. They are playing the disruption, which basically needs a product like Wii is (and they want the profit margins).

The only reason why nintendo decided to play disruption is because GC was a complete falure and home console market would not have been profitable for them with the current trend...so disrupting the trend was the only way to go. There is no way nintendo could have afforded the arms race...the reason they were still pulling in a 200+million profit a year during the gamecube days was because of Game Boy Advance.

Around the Network

Nintendo is in perfect position right now. I think Wii Motion Plus will usher in some really innovative and amazing games next year.

By the time the next gen of systems start to show up, HD components will by MUCH cheaper. I can see a Wii with HD, BR, that is a bit more powerful than the current 360/PS3 priced at $250. M$ and Sony really came in too early on the HD side to make large profits. By 2011-2012 HDTVs will be the standard.

disolitude said:
bdbdbd said:
@Disolitude: Turn the Wii Remote sideways. There's your NES controller.

There are a number of reasons why M$ and Sony haven't introduced their Wii Remote equivalents (well, outside Sixaxis), maybe not the least reason the crying and whining it would create. Besides, since either aren't leading the market, it would be a little too blantant ripoff. Besides, they have no games for their equivalents.
At the moment, M$ is in much better position than Sony to release a Wii Remote ripoff, due to lower pricepoint of their console. If PS3 would have similar controller, who would be buying the console, that aren't willing to buy it at the moment. Wii is cheaper. Only thing Sony would show is, that you'd get the same, but cheaper with the Wii. Besides, Wii already has the momentum and it's very hard to kill, so the controller ripoffs wouldn't necessarily do much good.

Nintendo could have afforded the "arms race", but it wouldn't fit their strategy. They are playing the disruption, which basically needs a product like Wii is (and they want the profit margins).

The only reason why nintendo decided to play disruption is because GC was a complete falure and home console market would not have been profitable for them with the current trend...so disrupting the trend was the only way to go. There is no way nintendo could have afforded the arms race...the reason they were still pulling in a 200+million profit a year during the gamecube days was because of Game Boy Advance.

That was true then, no true anymore.  Though I doubt Nintendo will attempt to have the most powerful console next generation.  I think they'll shoot for something slight more powerful than the current 360/PS3 but I'm sure they'll be new wrinkle to it.  Not as innovative as the Wii, but something to differentiate.

@Disolitude: Yes they could have. They had quite a fortune in the bank. Besides, the arms race doesn't equal who spends the most money. Last gen Nintendo made more powerful console than Sony, which was sold at profit right from day one. They do know their business.
Besides, in the matter i prefer to believe Miyamoto.

But, you're right, Nintendo didn't see "going the old way" profitable enough to continue going that way. Although Nintendo did have options to go that way, like releasing the console earlier to get early sales etc.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Honestly i cant see PS4 or X720 being mainstream and selling like the Wii is nowadays,i asked my sister if she liked 360 and she said "i dont want no dam 360,i want a wii"

then i asked my brother "do you want a 360" he said "i dont want a 360,i want a Wii" then i said "FANBOY!" and he said "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

Around the Network

making a console similar to Xbox 360 with motion? Guaranteed hit.

Nintendo lieks to stay one generation behind in tech to stay ahead of the cost curve. Its a cheap shot, but what ya gonna do.

-General_Ram- said:

Nintendo lieks to stay one generation behind in tech to stay ahead of the cost curve. Its a cheap shot, but what ya gonna do.

Damn! Triple post.  That must be a world record. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

-General_Ram- said:

I don't think it's a question of them like staying a generation behind in tech.  Gamecube was cheaper than PS2 but more powerful.  I think it is more a case of them not making people pay for tech that is not necessary at the time or the market is not ready for. That is why Wii is not HD because the number of people with HD TVs at launch did not justify the jump in cost.  At the start of next gen HD TVs will be quite common and much more affordable to put in a console so you can bet the next Wii will be HD.  Likewise they were not interested in online last gen because broad band was non existent at the time of Gamecube's launch.  Now dial up is almost unheard of, the world is ready for online gaming and the result is both Wii and DS can connect wirelessly. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

-General_Ram- said:

Triple Triple Triple

Roma said:
arsenicazure said:
Roma said:
arsenicazure said:
hey nintendo.. heres wht nintendo shd fix:

-graphics: atleast 720p even though next gen will prolly be at 1080-1440p
-sound: a lil more than stereo sound..
-internet: its been around since '95... jezus..implement it in a good way already
-M titles: coz kids shdnt be ur only target market.

there... now if they fix all that.. nintendo will be competing with the most innovative companies... until then its still gonna be a console that would be cutting edge in '98 sans the motion feature

Oh pleas shut up!!

Nintendo wants’ to sell to as many people as possible if you don’t like it well don’t buy their system! Mario, Zelda, SSBB, Pikmin and Metroid are all kids’ games so there is nothing for you here!

Let me explain to you what you look at and decide it’s a kid’s game. You look at a colorful game and its kiddy all of a sudden! Or maybe you are one of the cool dudes who does what the cool guys do. (Note I said maybe not that you are) Well have you ever thought about if a kid can complete the game? Well you would have to be very smart to go though Pikmin if you are a kid (-7). And really good if you complete Metroid or Zelda or Mario. Games can be colorful yet made hard.

By making a game with no blood and violence most people can play them. No blood does not equal non mature games they just don’t need the rating.

Sorry for that I had to get it out :P

OT:

Nintendo will have a good future but not as good as this one because the other two will have learned from them and will be more innovative (for MS and Sony that means copy).

If Nintendo fallows the same path as before as with the NES and SNES = 2D grafix > better 2D grafix and the same with the N64 and GC it will be a very even battle between the three in the next gen wars. But if they do something new well that’s something ells they might succeed and they might not. Not all risks pay of but to move on to the next thing you have to take risks.   

Clearly only blood n guns means mature for you. how awesome is that. My point is if nintendo didnt have such a "omg lets try NOT to offend anyone" defensive syndrome the wii might have been great. Yes Nintendo games are fun. No doubt but EVEN sega has tried to do something different and interesting( rome:total war,bayonetta,chromehounds,madworld) but nintendo is just busy milking mario and the pikmins for all they are worth.

If your a fan of the nintendo wii "friend" system then you clearly havent tried PSN or live. The wii is a good system. Pity it only has nintendo IP's and motion control as claim to that fame.I enjoy my wii but i dont enjoy the 15 mins brawl connecting game waiting screen.

good motion control shouldnt equal= crap everything else

lol no that’s what I was explaining to you :P that blood and gore does not = mature!

And all those games are just published by Sega not created and unlike Sega Nintendo knows how to do great games. Sega is not as good as it used to be. Oh Sega is not milking Sonic you say? No we only use milking when it comes to Nintendo games. Every company does it. Creating new successful stuff is not an easy thing to do that’s something people need to get in to there thick head.   

Sure Nintendo is not doing everything correct and yes I have a 360 and tried Live and it was fun but I don’t want to pay for it. The friend system sucks and they should do something about it like have an age range. If you are over 18 you don’t need it for instants or something like that.     

And good motion controls has not equaled in crap everything ells, pleas give an example of what games you are talking about and only games that deserves to be mentioned not ubisoft shit!

Ofcourse sonic milks sega.. but my point was even sega whom most consider brain dead has tried to diversify its portfolio of games with newer IP's.. Nintendo cannot touch live with a stick.. its a far far far superior service to what nintendo offers on the the wii, apart from the friend system, smash bros takes forever to connect, and im on a T1 connection.  I'd much rather pay $3-4 a month for a service I can use than a service that doesnt function.

So sure.. nintendos titles are GOOD but are targeted at a younger audience, my gripe is that they are ONLY targeted to a neutral audience.. how bout spicing things up a lil nintendo? SEGA is publishing more interesting titles(conduit/madworld/House of dead) and most people think sega is a lost cause.

I like the wii . But to me apart from motion controls and smash bros,zelda,mario galazy and MK, its a pretty average console that doesnt excel in any other department

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business