By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How should VGChartz score its reviews?

How should VGChartz score its reviews?

Keep the current letter g... 244 13.49%

Score out of 100% using each point. 787 43.50%

Score out of 10 using half points. 349 19.29%

Score out of 10 using whole points. 103 5.69%

Switch to a 5-star system. 88 4.86%

Don't use grades at all, just text. 238 13.16%

Total:1,809
Sqrl said:
Machina-AX said:
But would the result be binding? ;)

Nah, my decision will be

Seriously though..I don't see why not, the staff is split pretty evenly and each with decent reasons so why not leave it to the community?

Narrow it down to the 3 major choices for the poll and say that if one option wins by 5% or more it is binding.  Otherwise ioi will be given the final say between the top 2.

Sounds fair to me =)

It's absolutely fair, that's why we have this thread and a poll.

I like the non-grades (worth buy/avoid/excellent, etc.) a lot, but I want to have our reviews on the aggregator sites.

For me the letter system is a bit confusing, since Europeans don't use it. For example the C+ for Eternal Sonata looks like it's a no go, while at 7.5 it's a very decent game.

I do understand the flaws of a % grading, but since it's so common I don't think it will give much issues if we have good guidelines. Out of 10 with 0.5 increments is a good system as well.

Around the Network

I'm for using two at once. The Sources idea as the main review score, so as to give the reviewers actual proper opinion on the game and a review score out of a hundred in parentheses so as to allow the possibility of being placed on aggregations.

The Sources idea is definitely the best way to show an actual verdict as the numerical system alone is terribly inconsistent at best and utterly useless at worst.

Variety doesn't issue scores but is on metacritic...

(i like the none score system... aren't reviews meant to be used as a recommendation... are you recommending me this game as a %?)

I agree with everybody who said percentage.
It is the most accurate, and shows differences between games that other review systems do not.

It is the most widely used of the scoring systems, so it is easy to compare without having to use metacritic's messed up letter>number chart.

Also, I think the way IGN does it (x.y, like 9.2) looks more professional than a percentage.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Whatever you do, do NOT score games out of 100. That is the most worthless review system ever conceived. There is no way to differentiate games that accurately.

I much prefer the letter grade system.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

yeah 9.6 is better then 96%

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

You know exactly what I meant. A ten point scale with 0.1 increments is just silly.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Looks like most people like the 100% scale judging from the poll.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

coolguy92 said:
Could i recommend a:

BUY-RENT-AVOID

system?

I second this idea, it sounds cool.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

If I present a persuasive enough argument, will it actually affect the way that reviews are presented?