By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Lost the Hardcore Gamer? article by IGN

@Squiliam: What a great place for TV. Above the bed, screen downwards. I have to try it myself with the extra 32" CRT i have.
Only thing you may end up having trouble, is games that require Wii Remote to be held horizontally.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I really don't think Nintendo care if they lose some "hardcore" gamers... I mean how many "hardcore" games turn a profit? it sure ain't many games that have been developed for years that do, well Nintendos does since they develop for the Wii instead of HD-ready consoles.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

bdbdbd said:
@Squiliam: What a great place for TV. Above the bed, screen downwards. I have to try it myself with the extra 32" CRT i have.
Only thing you may end up having trouble, is games that require Wii Remote to be held horizontally.

I thought so too. Though im doing it with an LCD, wouldn't want to try it with a CRT. It would probably maim/kill you if a CRT fell off the roof and onto you and mounting it would be a pain. For the games that require the Wiimote horizontal i'll just move the Wii into the other room.

Would be interesting trying to play Wii Fit that way!

Tease.

bdbdbd said:
@Resident_Hazard: As for the dev kits, you're mixing something up a little. The reason for "late" dev kits in comparision, was because of the PS360 kits were needed to be out a year earlier due to the longer dev time. The dev kits were a little late of course, i believe they were put out in early 2006, but that's not the main reason, since the devs have needed to make the decision what platform to support atleast a year earlier.

The storage space is limited, but for the friend codes; Nintendo isn't forcing anyone to use them. For example EA doesn't use friend codes. The friend code system is only if your game is on WFC and you can use your own servers for online play.

Wiis point is about creativity, as well as more traditional gaming.

I'ved defended the Wii against a lot of criticism, but I'm not going to blindly defend Nintendo against their own stupidity and lack of foresight.  Nintendo excels at taking three steps forward, and one wobbly, misguided leap backwards.  And the Wii is no different.  They only time they seemed to be firing on all cylinders was with the SNES.  Even the Game Boy Advance came with Nintendo's typical lack of vision prevelant in their advancement--what with giving us then the most powerful handheld system ever and then opting not to give us a backlight to actually enjoy said power.

Dev kits for the Xbox360 and PS3 needed to be out early.  So did dev kits for the Wii.  But why, when the Wii isn't as powerful?  Because the Wii is much more than just a GameCube in raw power, and because devs needed that time to better acquaint themselves with the Wiimote.  Nintendo failed on this.  Sony, in a sense, did as well as their policy of "waiting a while longer" on dev kits, launch date, and some general decisions lost them exclusive rights to titles like Grand Theft Auto 4 and Assassin's Creed.  If you were a third party developer/publisher, how would you look at the Wii?  You request a dev kit, and Nintendo says to just use the GameCube dev kits you already have.  A bit later, they send you the Wiimote and instructions on how to develop with it.  You then look at that overly pricey Xbox360 or PS3 dev kit and all it offers and say, "Nintendo's just using the GameCube again?  What?"  You're confused and you move on to the HD dev kits.  This is what happened with Factor 5 and Lair.  Factor 5 was waiting for Nintendo to get them a Wii dev kit, waiting for them to get on the ball, and eventually got bored of waiting and said, "we need to make a game now, what've the other guys got?"  Someone says "dev kits."  They say, "let's make a game there, then." 

Nintendo should've put dev kits in the hands of quality developers and publishers in 2005, when Sony did for the PS3.  They shouldn't have forced developers to "settle" with GameCube dev kits.  It made them look lazy.  It shunned third party companies.  It meant that for two years, the vast majority of games on the Wii looked like GameCube titles or worse, throw-away PS2 games. 

The Wii is about creative new gaming, that's true.  It's also about reinventing classic gaming, that's true too.  But it's also supposed to be about streamlining the process of modern gaming for everyone, Blue Ocean n00bs included.  Friend Codes and the cumbersome manner in which they handle storage of games are the exact opposite of streamlining.  Friend Codes are awkward and cumbersome.  They aren't easy to remember.  They aren't personal.  It's like introducing yourself with your Social Security Number instead of your name.  "Hi, I'm 7983 3846 8293.  Who are you?"  You can't invite people to your Wii, you can't search for people. 

Luckily, almost no one is still stupid enough (or a big enough raging fanboy) to still defend Nintendo's extremely asinine storage problems.  I originally didn't care that the Wii didn't come with a harddrive, because it had two USB ports which should allow for such a thing.  This is where Nintendo took that wobbly jump backwards.  They gave us the most innovative system ever made, attempted to make it streamlined, clean and easy to use; then promplty ignored the modern world and decided that Hard Drives are unnecessary.  Somehow I doubt they built Super Mario Galaxy on zero-space computers and SD cards.  Not putting a harddrive in a console this generation is equivalent to not making the leap to disk-based games with the N64.  Powerful, innovative system, short-sheeted with cartridges.  Hey, I'm sure glad Nintendo gave us the N64 and then promptly neutered the system's storage options so that we'd never get to fully experience what a 64-bit experience could be like!  Deleting games you paid money for is stupid.  Moving them to an SD card you can't directly access is cumbersome and stupid.  It's counter-intuitive and the opposite of the streamlined focus of the Wii. 

Here's Nintendo's now-typical lack of vision, yet again:  They've given us the largest collection of downloadable games--by a long shot--out of this generation.  And they gave us no where to put them.  All that foresight bottlenecked by foolish choices.  It's not like harddrives are expensive these days.  Even a measily 10-gig harddrive in the Wii would've been something, and it really wouldn't have affected the price of the machine.